Important Role of Seed Industry in India
- To achieve the desired growth, the development, deployment, and dissemination of climate-resilient, efficient, resource-efficient, and high-yielding varieties (HYVs) is necessary, as the genetic gain obtained through plant breeding can only be translated into higher productivity.
- Seed and variety replacement rates are still low; ultimately, the investments in developing new varieties do not materialize due to poor adoption and dissemination.
- Most marginal and small farmers (M&SF) are left without quality seeds leaving huge gaps.
- Attention should be paid to developing and extending varieties among traditional crops with local importance and specific adaptation.
- More effort is needed from the seed industry to solve seed problems for high-volume, low-value crops because they are mostly grown with low inputs.
- The Indian seed industry plays a key role in agricultural growth, like access to quality seeds and planting materials for Indian farmers, giving strong research, etc.
What is the role of the seed industry in India?
The role of the seed industry in India is in the growth of agriculture and access to high-quality seeds and planting materials for the farmers in India.