Types of Farmers and Landholdings in India
For the purpose of conducting a proper census, the government divides the landholdings into five categories, and on the basis of these categories, we can divide the farmers into further five categories:
- Marginal - this category refers to the farmers that possess farmland below 1 hectare.
- Small - this category refers to the farmers who possess land between 1 - 2 hectares.
- Semi-Medium - the farmers who possess land between 2- 4 hectares come under this category.
- Medium - this category refers to those farmers who have farmland between 4- 10 hectares.
- Large - farmers possessing above 10 hectares of land for cultivation come under this category.