What is e-RUPI
- It is a cashless and contactless digital payment solution.
- It is a Quick Response (QR) code or SMS string-based e-voucher, which will be delivered to the mobile of the users.
- This voucher can be redeemed by the users without using the card, digital payments app, or internet banking access at the service provider.
- It will digitally connect the sponsors of the services with the beneficiaries and service providers without any physical interface.
- This e-voucher based mechanism will also ensure that the payment to the service provider is made only after the transaction is completed.
- It is pre-paid in nature and assures timely payment to the service provider without the involvement of any intermediary.
Developer of e-RUPI
Digital payment solution titled ‘e-RUPI’ has been developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) on its Unified Payments Interface (UPI) platform, in collaboration with Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, and National Health Authority.
Who is Authorized to Provide e-RUPI Facilities?
- Currently, 11 public and private sector banks will support this new payment mode.
- State Bank of India (SBI), ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Punjab National Bank (PNB), Axis Bank and Bank of Baroda will provide both issuance and redemption facilities for e-RUPI coupons.
- Canara Bank, IndusInd Bank, Indian Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank and Union Bank of India will only issue e-RUPI coupons for now.
It can be used in both government as well as private sector.
- Government Sector: In government sector, this voucher will ensure leak-proof delivery of welfare services and can also be used for delivering services under schemes meant for providing drugs and nutritional support under welfare schemes like Ayushman Bharat, Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, etc.
- Private Sector: Private sector can avail these digital vouchers as part of their employee welfare and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programs.
Other Important Facts Related to e-RUPI
- e-RUPI is currently backed by the existing Indian rupee as the underlying asset and the specificity of its purpose makes it different than virtual currency and puts it closer to a voucher-based payment system.
- Any corporate or government agency will have to approach the partner banks (private and public-sector lenders) with the details of specific persons and the purpose for which payments have to be made.
- It does not permit direct cash-out or peer-to-peer transfer.
- There are already many countries using this kind of voucher system namely the US, Colombia, Chile, Sweden, Hong Kong, etc.
Hence, this new digital payment system will potentially fill the gaps in digital payments infrastructure for the success of the future digital ecosystem of India.
You wish to have unlimited access to all 20+ structured live courses and 500+ mock tests then subscribe to Gradeup Super. This will cover all important banking and insurance exams like IBPS PO, IBPS RRB, SBI PO, RBI Grade-B, etc.
Why Gradeup Green Card?
- One-stop solution for practising 14+ Bank and Insurance Exam mock tests.
- Mock Tests designed by Exam Experts as per the Latest Pattern.
- AIR and In-depth Performance Analysis.
- Covers Shortcuts, Tricks & Tips to solve the questions.
- 40000+ Students have cleared competitive exams at various stages.
Best of luck for the exam.
Sahi prep hai toh life set hai.