What does DSP stand for?
DSP stands for Deputy Superintendent of Police. It is one of the most essential and prominent positions in the police department. They are recognized as SPDO or sub-divisional Police Officers in West Bengal and CO or Circle Officers in Rajasthan and Uttarakhand. He works under the Superintendent of Police and performs various duties. These are-
- He oversees the task of the police department. It includes administering and managing police stations, preventing crime, looking after the investigations, and a lot more.
- He is responsible for controlling the crowd during functions and political rallies to avoid clashes.
- He functions as the state’s top intelligence officer.
- DSP is responsible for maintaining and managing law and order in the state / Union Territory.
- DSP checks to maintain communal harmony.