Suggested Reasons for Population Explosion
The term Population explosion refers to the sudden and rapid rise in the population of a particular species. In 1900, the world’s population was calculated to be 2 billion, which increased to 6 billion in 2000. A large number of reasons contributed to this considerable rise. A few of the suggested reasons for population explosion are as under-
- Because of the improved medical services, life expectancy has increased, and there has been a significant reduction in the mortality rate.
- There is an increase in the number of born (birth rate) and a decrease in the mortality rate of babies.
- The number of reproductive-age individuals has increased.
- Unawareness of birth control measures has led to many unwanted pregnancies, especially in the rural parts of the world.
- Lack of knowledge and ignorance about the ill effects of the increasing population.
- No education on family planning. Along with this, early marriages in some parts of the world have also been a responsible factor.