- During the meeting at Calcutta town hall, the boycott resolution was passed, resulting in the formal proclamation of the Swadeshi Movement on 07 August 1905.
- The Swadeshi movement is an important feature of the Indian Independence struggle. It lasted for 6 years.
- After the partition of Bengal, the swadeshi movement became more vigorous with the integration of the boycott movement into it.
- Tilak called this movement Bahishkar Yoga. Bal Gangadhar Tilak and Lala Lajpat Rai rightly termed this movement training in self-determination, self-help, and self-reliance.
- Surendranath Banerjee called it a protectionist movement. The movement spread quickly to other parts of the country, like UP, Bihar, Madras, and Bombay. Following the partition of Bengal, industrial strikes became the hallmark of the swadeshi movement.
What are the main features of the Swadeshi movement?
The main features of the Swadeshi movement were to encourage and promote the use of indigenous goods produced in India, boycott foreign goods like the British, and block the colonial government trade.