Functions of the GST Council
The GST Council, a constitutional body, is charged with advising the federal and state governments on subjects pertaining to the GST. According to Article 279A (4), one of the GST Council's functions is to make recommendations to the Union and the States on crucial matters like:
- The centre, the states, and the local governments' taxes, cesses, and surcharges would be combined into the GST.
- The products and services are either GST-eligible or GST-exempt.
- Sample GST laws, levy principles, apportionment of GST levied on purchases made during interstate trade or commerce, and rules governing the location of the supplier.
- The minimum turnover amount below which goods and services are subject to GST exemption.
- The prices include GST bands and floor prices.
- Any particular rate or rates for a predetermined time period to raise more money during a natural disaster or calamity
- Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Jammu and Kashmir, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttarakhand are given special consideration.
- Any other GST-related topic that the Council deems appropriate.