The Indian Navy has chosen to induce the indigenous heavyweight torpedo Varunastra into its arsenal in a bid to increase its underwater firepower. Let’s read about it more in detail.
Varunastra Torpedo: Defence Current Affairs Indian Navy
What is Torpedo?
- A torpedo is a self-propelled weapon with an explosive warhead, launched above or below the surface of the water, propelled underwater toward a destination and intended to detonate on or near the target.
- The Naval Science and Technology Laboratory (NSTL) of the DRDO has created the indigenous state-of-the-art heavyweight vessel launched an anti-submarine electric torpedo.
- The torpedoes will be produced in cooperation with the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) at the BDL Visakhapatnam facility.
- Varunastra is basically an underwater weapon launched by ships, electrically propelled, fitted with one of the most sophisticated automatic and remote-controlled guidance systems.
- This weapon system uses its own artificial intelligence technology in tracing the target. It can hit stealth submarines underwater.
- The electric anti-submarine torpedo can travel at 40 knots, or 74 kmph when fired. The operating range is 40 km and a warhead weighing 250 kg can be carried.
- It is also having advanced autonomous guidance algorithms with low drift navigational aids, insensitive warhead which can operate in various combat scenarios.
- The weapon has completed all environmental qualification tests like shock, vibration, temperature cycling, marine environmental tests.
- This has put the Indian Navy in the elite club of navies across the globe that are self-reliant in underwater sensors technology and underwater.
Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), a government of India Enterprise established in 1970 in Hyderabad as a manufacturing base for guided missiles and allied defence equipment.
Products by BDL:
- NAG Missile: A third-generation (Fire and Forget) mechanized ATGM infantry, capable of destroying armoured vehicles fitted with Explosive Reactive Armor, moving and stationary objectives.
- Akash: It is an indigenously built, all-weather, air defence weapon system, using a highly explosive, pre-fragmented warhead that can concurrently face various threats.
- Milan 2T: To destroy tanks equipped with Explosive Reactive Armor, moving and stationary objectives, it is a man-portable (Infantry) second-generation ATGM.
More from us:
BYJU'S Exam Prep now to score better