Science and Tech Syllabus for UPSC Prelims
Candidates should have an idea about the structure of the UPSC Prelims syllabus of Science and Tech. As per the official syllabus for UPSC Prelims, General science must be covered in detail. Go through the below topics in the syllabus.
Science and Tech Syllabus for UPSC
The Big Bang Theory, Quantum Mechanics, Four Fundamental Forces of Nature, etc.
Atoms & Molecules, Elements, Compounds & Mixtures, Basics of Nuclear Chemistry, etc.
Viral Diseases, Microbes, Cells - Plants vs Animals, Proteins, Amino Acids, Enzymes
Vitamins and Minerals – Deficiency Diseases
Science and Tech news related to defense, nuclear energy, vaccines, etc
Science and Tech Syllabus for UPSC Mains
Go through the detailed view of the UPSC exam syllabus of mains given below.
- Science and technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology
- Indigenization of technology and developing new technology
- Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
Given below is the detailed format of the syllabus of Science and Tech syllabus for the mains exam.
Science and Tech Syllabus for UPSC
India’s Policy in the Field of the Science & Technology, The Science & Technology Policy Resolution in 1958, Science & Technology Policy 2013
Satellite Communication in India, INSAT Satellite Applications, Remote Sensing Applications, Cryogenic Rockets
IT, Telecom & Electronics
IT Industry in India, Applications of Information Technology, Display Technologies
Missile System and its Classification, India’s Missile System, India’s Ballistic Missile Defense System
Nano-Science & Nano-Technology
Nanoscience Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials, Applications of Nanotechnology, Health & Environmental Impacts of Nanotechnology
Robotics & Artificial Intelligence, Applications of Robotics, Robotics and Issues of Unemployment
Nuclear-Power Policy of India, Non-energy Applications of Nuclear Energy, Impact of Radiation, Issue of Radioactive Waste
Application of Biotechnology, Biotechnology Projects, Issue of Bio-Piracy
Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC), Concept of Green Building
Tidal, Wave, Geothermal Energy, Fuel Cells
Achievements of Indians in science & technology
Scientists of Ancient India, Science, and Scientists of Medieval India, Scientists of Modern India
In the mains exam, there are various science and tech optional subjects to choose from. You can go through the UPSC mains optional syllabus for the subjects given below-
- UPSC Syllabus for Botany
- UPSC Zoology Optional Syllabus
- UPSC Geology Optional Syllabus
- UPSC Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science Syllabus
UPSC Science and Tech Syllabus - Weightage In Prelims Exam
In the Prelims and mains exam, most of the questions asked from the science and tech syllabus for UPSC are related to current affairs. Let’s have a look at the weightage of science and technology questions for the last ten years in the UPSC prelims exam. You can also check the UPSC exam paper pattern for better understanding.
Number of questions from UPSC science and technology syllabus
Science and Tech Syllabus for UPSC - Preparation Tips
To begin with the preparation of the UPSC Syllabus for the science and technology section, you must begin with analyzing previous year's papers to determine what kind of questions are asked. Here are a few preparation tips that will cover the entire syllabus of UPSC Science and Technology.
- Must analyze the structure of the syllabus: It is important to know about the structure of the syllabus carefully as it will help you in preparing for your exam. You can read the NCERT books as they will clear the basic concepts of the syllabus.
- Solve previous years' question papers: Make sure you solve the previous year UPSC question papers or mock tests as it will help you in performing well in the exams and this will help you to know about the weightage of multiple topics.
- Make subject-wise small notes: It is essential to read the important topics in detail and make keynotes on them. You should revise them on a regular basis.
- Create a good study planner: You should make a study planner make things easier for yourself. Using this way, you can enhance your knowledge and skills effectively.
- Read the current affairs and newspapers: Make sure you go through current affairs and read the newspapers daily in order to get all the updated information about everything.
Science and Tech Syllabus for UPSC: Booklist
Here we have mentioned some best books for the preparation of the Science and Tech Syllabus for UPSC. Some of them are given below.
- You can go through NCERTs.
- India Year Book
- The Hindu
Sample Questions from UPSC Science and Technology Syllabus
This section's questions are dynamic in nature, meaning they are frequently posed in light of current events. You must go through the UPSC question papers to have a sound understanding of what kinds of questions are asked from the science and tech syllabus for UPSC. A few past year questions from this section are mentioned below.
With reference to street-lighting, how do sodium lamps differ from LED lamps?
- Sodium lamps produce light in 360 degrees but it is not so in the case of LED lamps.
- As street-lights, sodium lamps have a longer lifespan than LED lamps.
- The spectrum of visible light from sodium lamps is almost monochromatic while LED lamps offer significant color advantages in street lighting.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- a) 3 only
- b) 2 only
- c) 1 and 3
- d) 1, 2 and 3
The term ‘ACE2’ is talked about in the context of
- genes introduced in the genetically modified plants
- development of India’s own satellite navigation system
- radio collar for wildlife tracking
- spread of viral diseases