Polity Syllabus for UPSC
The system of government is called polity, and it is the midway between democracy and oligarchy. Polity deals with the government functioning in the country. It gives an understanding of the country's executive, legislative, various constitutional authorities, judicial systems, etc. The Polity syllabus for UPSC covers a wide range of topics, namely-
- Constitutional Framework
- System of Government
- State Government
- Central Government
- Constitutional Bodies
- Union Territories & Local Government
- Non-Constitutional Bodies
- Emergency Provisions
- Current Affairs
Below, we will provide the Indian Polity Syllabus for UPSC in a more detailed manner.
Topic-Wise UPSC Polity Syllabus
Indian Polity sum up the entire constitutional framework and function of the political system. Below we have broken down the UPSC Polity Syllabus into smaller sub-topic, which would make your preparation easier. Make sure you go through all these topics in detail with the help of the best Polity Books for UPSC and other NCERT Books for UPSC.
Topic Wise UPSC Polity Syllabus
Amendment of the Constitution
Making of the Constitution
Features of the Constitution
The Union & Its Territories
Directive Principles of State Policy
System of Government
State Council of Ministers
Special Provisions for Some States
Central Council of Ministers
Parliamentary Committee & Forums
Comptroller & Auditor General of India
National Commission for SCs
National Commission for STs
Attorney General of India
Advocate General of State
Union Territories & Local Government
Scheduled & Tribal Areas
National Development Council
Lokpal & Lokayukta
Central Information Commission
Central Vigilance Commission
National Human Rights Commission
State Human Rights Commission
Central Bureau of Investigation
Role of President in the Time of Emergency
Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha
The 44th Amendment Act
Effects and Implications of Emergency
President's Rule or State Emergency
Important Schemes (both Central & State)
UPSC Polity Syllabus for Prelims
The UPSC CSE general studies-paper-I Indian polity and governance syllabus is very precise. But it covers a wide range of important concepts and issues to understand. Indian polity is also a part of the UPSC Prelims Syllabus, and below, we have provided the syllabus of Indian polity for UPSC Prelims.
- Indian polity and governance - Constitution
- Political system
- Panchayati Raj Public Policy, Rights Issues etc. The syllabus for the preliminary examination is epigrammatic.
Polity Syllabus for UPSC Mains
The General Studie Paper-II of the UPSC Mains Syllabus includes the Indian Polity section. Candidates must go through the Indian polity syllabus for UPSC mains before starting their preparation.
- Indian Constitution
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States
- comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries
- Parliament and State Legislatures
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts
- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive
- Salient features of the Representation of People's Act
- Government policies and interventions
- Health, Education, Human Resources
- Development processes and the development industry
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger
- Role of civil services in a democracy
- Important aspects of governance
Strategy to Prepare for UPSC Polity Syllabus
Polity is an important subject for the competitive examination, especially for UPSC CSE. That's why candidates must follow a strategic approach when it comes to the preparation of the Polity syllabus for UPSC. below we have mentioned some effective tips that would help the candidates covering the Indian Polity syllabus for UPSC in an efficient manner.
- Make sure to read NCERTs of Political Sciences for Classes XI and XII to strengthen your foundation.
- Read the basic Polity books, including M. Laxmikanth and Introduction to Indian Constitution by D.D Basu, to develop a deep understanding of the subject.
- Prepare short notes highlighting the important points which would be helpful during the revision period.
- Go through the UPSC Previous Year Question Papers to get an idea about the types of questions asked in recent years.
- Give as many mock tests as possible, which would help to make necessary rectifications.
- Lastly, read the newspapers as many questions are asked from the recent scheme.
Best Books for UPSC Polity Syllabus
UPSC Books are a must for the UPSC Exam preparation. Below we have added the best books for the Polity syllabus for UPSC that you must have.
- Indian Constitution at Work- Class 11
- Political Theory- Class 11
- Contemporary World Politics- Class 12
- Politics in India Since Independence- Class 12
- Indian Polity book for UPSC- M Laxmikanth
- Introduction to Constitution of India- Durga Das Basu
- Important Acts that Transformed India- Alex Andrews George
- Important judgments that Transformed India- Alex Andrews George
Indian Polity Syllabus for UPSC PDF
Candidates must keep a copy of the Indian polity syllabus for UPSC to ensure they don't miss out on crucial topics. That is why below we have provided the Indian polity syllabus for UPSC PDF, which the candidates can take a printout and start their preparation for the upcoming UPSC exam.