UPSC English Literature Optional Syllabus for IAS Mains
The candidate should be familiar with the UPSC English Optional Syllabus as it includes Paper 1 and Paper 2. This exam has two papers that are Paper 1 and Paper 2 in UPSC Mains. Paper 1 and Paper 2 are of 250 marks and total marks is 500.
|UPSC Syllabus for English Literature Optional||Topics|
|UPSC English Literature Syllabus Paper 1|
Section A: William Shakespeare, John Donne, William Wordsworth, Henrik Ibsen: A Doll’s House.
Section B: Jonathan Swift, Gulliver’s Travels, Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice, Henry Fielding. Tom Jones, Charles Dickens. Hard Times, George Eliot. The Mill on the Floss, Thomas Hardy. Tess of the d’Urbervilles Mark Twain. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
|UPSC English Literature Syllabus Paper 2|
Section A: Authors such as William Butler Yeats, T.S. Eliot, W.H. Auden, John Osborne: Look Back in Anger, Samuel Beckett. Waiting for Godot, Philip Larkin.
Section B: Joseph Conrad. Lord Jim, James Joyce. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, D.H. Lawrence. Sons and Lovers, E.M. Forster. A Passage to India, Virginia Woolf. Mrs. Dalloway, Raja Rao, Kantha Pura, V.S. Naipaul. A House for Mr. Biswas.
Download UPSC English Literature Syllabus PDF
Candidates preparing for the English optional must be well versed with the detailed syllabus so that they can plan the preparation in a strategic manner. To download the UPSC English Syllabus PDF, you just need to click on the link below. Apart from all this, you should know about UPSC mains syllabus in a simple manner.
UPSC English Literature Syllabus for Paper 1
It is important to remember that Paper 1 consists of 6 topics in total of the UPSC English Syllabus which are further splitted into subtopics.
UPSC English Literature Syllabus Paper 1: Section B
- Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
- Prejudice and Pride by Jane Austen
- Hard Times by Charles Dickens
- Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
- Tess of the d'Urbervilles
- The Mill of the Floss by George Eliot
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
UPSC English Literature Syllabus for Paper 2
Make sure you remember that paper 2 has a total of 6 topics in their UPSC English Optional Syllabus which are further categorized into subtopics.
UPSC English Literature Syllabus Paper2: Section B
- Portrait of the Artist as a Young man by James Joyce
- Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad
- Lovers and Sons by D.H. Lawrence
- A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
- Kantha Pura by Raja Rao
- A House for Mr. Biswas by V.S. Naipaul
English Literature Optional UPSC Syllabus - Preparation Tips
It is beneficial for the candidate if he or she follows preparation tips for the UPSC Syllabus. Given below are some preparation tips for covering the entire syllabus of UPSC English Optional.
- Make sure that you study for long hours consistently as it is very important for exam preparation. You should make a study schedule or a plan list for your studies.
- You must analyze your complete syllabus in order to score well in exams.
- Separate the important topics and make small notes on them. Revise them on a regular basis.
- Candidates must solve the UPSC Test series, mock tests, current affairs, and previous years' question papers.
- You can create a study calendar to make things easier for you. This will help you to learn a lot and you can study efficiently.
English Literature Optional UPSC Syllabus: Booklist
There is a list of recommended books which are required for the preparation of the UPSC English Optional Syllabus exam. Some of them are given below.
Introduction to English Literature
W. H Hudson
Death be not proud
The Good Morrow
Three years she grew
Other Optional Literature Subjects for UPSC Mains Exam