General knowledge/awareness is a limitless topic. Hence, it is only natural for students to feel intimated and confused by the vastness of the subject. The number of questions and topics varies from exam to exam. Also, GK is constantly evolving. Thousand of things are added on a daily basis. This article provides a complete strategy with important books and tips to focus on while preparing UP Specific GK for UPPSC Prelims.
First, let us look at the number of questions asked every year from GK in UPPSC PCS Prelims.
UP Specific GK Question Year wise
|Year||Number of Questions Asked|
Important sources of UP Specific GK for UPPSC PCS
- The students must read daily at least one standard newspaper like The Hindu and focus on state-specific news.
- Editorials part of the Hindu newspaper can also be referred to specifically for the Economy part.
- All India Radio— Spotlight/Discussion, Misc. (RSTV’s Big Picture, India’s World)
- We have also updated UPPSC GK on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis - UPPSC GK
For that only reading, the articles from newspapers or any other content are not enough. The aspirant needs to cover the static part/background, the associated social, political, legal issues related to the news. Even, the process involved should be covered.
Important Areas to be focussed in News:
UP State Affairs, UP Budget, UP Geography, UP Census, National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries, Environment Conventions, Institutes, Events, Awards & Honours, festivals, Temples, Stadium, Heritage Sites, Fort, Museum, Arts & Culture, History, Geographical Structure, Forests, Rivers, Dams, Lakes, Administrative Structure, Power Plants, Nick Names of Cities, Airports, Dress, Education, Monuments, etc
Here are some important tips that will help you prepare UP Specific GK for UPPSC Prelims.
- Don’t spend much time, for example, 3-4 hours, reading newspapers. Otherwise, you will have no time to read other subjects. Ideally, the newspaper reading should be finished within 2 hours. You can watch an hour of news daily to know about the daily events of the world is advised. Please do not waste time over prime-time debates, instead, go for All India Radio, BBC, or Rajyasabha News.
- While reading, special attention to the editorial sections since they are based on the candidate's current affairs and polished vocabulary.
- One good magazine like Competition in Focus or Outlook can be referred to monthly, to sum up, the month's affairs.
- Make bullet-point notes to revise later.
- Maintain a stable preparation plan of 2-4 hours a day for it will help to build confidence and boost your preparation.
- GK is a huge area and even if you manage to read everything, there is a good chance that you will end up forgetting it wholly or partly. Both of these will cost you marks.
- Whenever you study General Knowledge, Write down important events or news in your notebook this will help to revise easily.
- The Important part in preparing for general knowledge is discipline. Don't leave out a week gap of preparation and hope to cover it up, remember, the syllabus is already the size of a mountain.
- There is a huge amount of online and offline current affairs content is available. So, it is better to stick to a few sources and study them comprehensively and repeatedly.
- Constant revision is the key to success, It also helps to retain the information. Write daily practice or test series to check your knowledge.
- Don’t buy too many study materials. Stick to only a few selected materials for your preparation. To get success your first aim should be to choose quality over quantity.
Some UP Specific GK Questions :
Question: When was the cinema corporation established in UP?
Question: What is the state flower of the UP?
Question: In which district was Norara Nuclear Energy Plant established?
Question: When was Agra Presidency separated from Bengal Presidency?
More from us