General Studies Paper-II is a subjective type of paper consisting of subjects like Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice, and International relations. So to ace the exam, you must have a good knowledge of Indian governance & Polity. This article provides a complete strategy with important topics & books for the UPPSC PCS General Studies Paper-II.
Let us look at the detailed syllabus for the UPPSC PCS General Studies Paper-II.
General Studies Paper-II Syllabus
- Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure, Role of Supreme Court in the evolution of basic provisions of Constitution.
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States: issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Role of Finance Commission in center-state financial relations.
- Separation of powers, dispute redressal mechanisms, and institutions. Emergence and use of alternative dispute redressal mechanisms.
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other major democratic countries.
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, Powers, functions, and their responsibilities.
- Statutory, regulatory, and various quasi-judicial bodies including NITI Aayog, their features, and functioning.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design, implementation, and Information Communication Technology (ICT).
- Development processes- the role of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Self Help Groups (SHGs), various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Important aspects of governance. Transparency and accountability, e-governance applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential, citizens, charters, and institutional measures.
- Role of Civil Services in a democracy in the context of emerging trends.
|3||Governance & Polity|
- Parliament and State legislatures- structure, functioning, the conduct of business, powers and privileges, and concerning issues.
- Structure, organization, and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary: Ministries and Departments of the Government, Pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity. Public Interest Litigation (PIL).
- Salient features of the Representation of People's Act.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes, mechanisms, laws, institutions, and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger, their implication on the body politic.
- India and its relationship with neighboring countries.
- Bilateral, Regional, and Global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India's interest.
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India's interests- Indian diaspora.
- Important International Institutions, Agencies their structure, mandate, and functioning.
- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh regarding Political, Administrative, Revenue, and Judicial System.
- Current affairs and events of Regional, State, National, and International importance.
Here we are providing the list of important books that will help you to get good marks in the UPPSC PCS General Studies Paper-2.
Recommended books for UPPSC PCS GS Paper - 2
|Subject||Book Name or Resource||Author Name||Publication|
|Constitution, Governance & Polity||NCERT Indian Polity Books (9-12)|| || |
|Indian Polity||M. Laxmikanth||Mc Graw Hill|
|The Constitution of India||Universal Law Publishing Co.||Universal Law Publishing Co.|
Magazines: Pratiyogita Darpan, Yojana, Kurukshetra, Ghatna Chakra & Down to Earth, Reports of NGOs, international organizations, etc
| || |
Read The Hindu Newspaper
| || |
Here are some of the important tips that will help you in the preparation of UPPSC PCS General Studies Paper-II.
- Read the UPPSC 2021 GS paper - 2 syllabus many times so that you can know precisely what must be learned from your study material.
- Starts from NCERT first clear your concept from NCERT, after reading concepts from NCERTs, daily news update is often sufficient to cover most of the questions
- Questions asked in the UPPSC are more factual and straightforward in nature. So keep eye on facts & figures.
- For the Preparation of the UPPSC Mains Exam, the Previous Year Question Papers of UPPSC Mains Exams are very important. The Previous Year Question Papers of UPPSC Mains Exams give an idea of which type of Questions are asked in the UPPSC Mains Exam.
- Set an adequate time and solve previous year's papers and mocks on weekly basis.
- Read daily Hindu newspaper that will keep you update on global & national news.
To boost Your Preparation with more free and quality content DO NOT forget to check out the following links:
Click below to access Gradeup Courses for UP Exams:
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Daily, Monthly, Yearly Current Affairs Digest, Daily Editorial Analysis, Free PDF's & more, Join our Telegram Group Join Now