Forest and Wildlife
Forests and natural Flora in Uttar Pradesh
- The temperate, tropical, deciduous, and thorny forests are found in the state.
- In Uttar Pradesh first forest policy was declared in the year 1952 and the second forest policy in the year 1998.
- Forest Corporation was established in Uttar Pradesh on November 25, 1974.
- Total Forest area is 16,582 sq km, which is 6.88% of the total area of Uttar Pradesh, in which 2617 sq km is dense forests, 4069 sq km is medium density forest, and 7993 sq km is open Forest.
- Plantation area in the state is 7342 sq km, which is 3.05% of the total area of Uttar Pradesh.
- Area of scrubs in Uttar Pradesh is 587 sq. Km, which is 0.24% of the total area of Uttar Pradesh.
- 5 districts having the highest forest area (in descending order): Sonbhadra(2540.29 sq km), Kheri(1273.06 sq km), Mirzapur (803.73 sq km), Pilibhit (687.11 sq km ), Chitrakoot (586.40 sq km).
- 5 districts having the lowest forest area (increasing order): Bhadohi (3.12 sq km), Mau (11 sq km), Mainpuri(14sq km), Sant Kabir Nagar( 14 sqkm), Deoria( 15.21 sqkm).
- 5 districts having the highest forest percentage (in descending order): Sonbhadra(36.79%),Chandauli (22.25%),Pilibhit (18.64%),Mirzapur(18.25%), Chitrakoot(18.23%)
- 5 districts having the lowest one percent (in ascending order): Sant Ravidas Nagar (0.31%),Mainpuri(0.49%),Deoria(0.60%), Budaun(0.62%), Mau(0.64%).
Important schemes related to forests
- Social Forestry Scheme was started in 1976.
- U.P. Forestry project was started in March 1998.
- Operation Green Yojana started in 2001
- National Afforestation Programme (through Forest Development Authority)
- Intensification of Forest Management (Centrally sponsored)
- The supreme organization of the conservation of wildlife in the country is Indian wildlife board; the Prime Minister is the chairperson of this board.
- Zoo in Uttar Pradesh is in Lucknow and Kanpur.
- India's first-night Wildlife Park (Night Safari Park) is in Greater Noida.
- National Lion Safari Park is in Etawah.
- National Elephant Safari Park is also located in Etawah.
- Rescue and rehabilitation center of elephants is in Etawah.
- Rescue and rehabilitation center of bears is located at Mathura.
- The country's largest alligator sanctuary is in the Chambal river area.
- Peacock protection center is proposed for Vrindavan.
- National Park of Uttar Pradesh is in Dudhwa, which was declared in 1977.
- The first tiger reserve of the state is Dudhwa, which was declared in 1987.
- Second Tiger Reserve is in Pilibhit-Shahjahanpur districts, which was declared on June 2014.
- State declared its eco-tourism policy in 2014.
- There are total 24 wildlife sanctuary including bird Sanctuaries in Uttar Pradesh.
- The first wildlife sanctuary of the state is Chandraprabha Wildlife sanctuary which was established at Chandauli in 1957.
- Uttar Pradesh's largest wildlife sanctuary is Hastinapur Wildlife sanctuary, which has an area of 2,073 sq km.
- Uttar Pradesh's smallest wildlife sanctuary is Mahavir Swami Wildlife sanctuary, which has an area of 5.40 sq km and is located in Lalitpur.·
- Uttar Pradesh's first bird sanctuary of the state is located at Nawabganj. Which was established in 1984.
- Uttar Pradesh's largest bird sanctuary is Lakh Bahosi Sanctuary (लाख बहाशी) located at Kannauj.
Uttar Pradesh's smallest bird sanctuary is Patna bird sanctuary which is located at Eta