- Job enlargement, Job enrichment, Job analysis, Job classification, Job description, Job specifications
- All sounds the same!
- Wonder what all these same-sounding “Job terms” mean? These sounds confusing, So let’s break them in simple for your exam preparation!
Let us consider an organization ABC. The recruitment team of the organization gave an advertisement for the post of a developer role. The advertisement is as follows:
In the advertisement, the name of the job, job location, job description, job specifications, venue of the interview, etc. are given. The section job description gave the duties of the role.
1. Job description includes all the duties and responsibilities to be performed by an individual as a part of the job. (It’s about App development and system design in our example)
- These are the activities that are to be done by a candidate on a daily basis after getting recruited.
- The job description gives an idea of the job to the candidates.
- This will help them to prepare for interviews.
- Notifying the job notification with a good job description will help the recruitment team to get potential candidates.
2. In the above advertisement, we can see a term called job specifications. The job specification is the eligibility criteria for a particular job. It includes educational qualifications, certifications, skills, qualities, projects, communication skills, languages to be known, etc.
- We can say that the Job specification and Job description are interrelated. The qualities which are mentioned are under job specification are definitely needed to perform the duties given under job description.
- The job description should support job specifications. This will bring the candidates who are really interested in the job.
Now, to understand further job terms, let us consider an organization PQRS. The organization develops and provides technical support for software products. In this organization, there is no proper allocation of work. The duties and responsibilities of each job are not well defined by the HR department. As a result, the company is unable to meet its targets.
- To control further damage, the company decides to divide the tasks among different departments to complete the projects on time.
- The HR department starts to study the requirements of different projects. The tasks are divided accordingly, and different job designations are given. Different individuals are allocated to different jobs as per their skills and abilities. A group of inter-related jobs is grouped into a department.
- This entire process of division of the work and its allocation is Job analysis. Voila! You just learnt Job analysis!
3. Job analysis is a process of determining the nature of the job by studying its duties, responsibilities and the skills, knowledge, qualification required to accomplish the job in an effective manner.
- In the above example, jobs are divided according to the responsibilities of the job and skills required to do the job. This classification is called Job classification. (See? you just got Job classification too, pretty easy!)
- Job classification is the process of division of the jobs according to their current duties and responsibilities. It also defines the authority level of jobs.
- We can say that the Job description and Job specifications are the by-products of Job analysis.
- A job analysis will help the organization to frame the duties and responsibilities of different jobs. This falls under the job description.
- Job analysis also determines the skills and knowledge required to accomplish the tasks in an effective manner. This falls under job specifications.
4. Job Classification is a process of division of jobs according to their duties and responsibilities and giving a designation to each job.
- The job classification helps the organization to divide the jobs and offer wage rates accordingly.
- This will help the organization to divide the jobs which fall under the same level but have different duties and responsibilities.
What’s coming next? Job enlargement and enrichment, let’s learn them out:
To understand the concept of job enlargement, let us consider an organization QPR. It has three departments which offer service to the customers. The customers can call, chat or send an email regarding their query. All three jobs fall under the same level.
- The organization made the chat process as a part of the email and the call process.
- The calling process and email process employees should accept chat queries when they are free.
- This will help the organization to minimize the serving time.
- In this, job enlargement is done by adding the chat process as a part of the email and calling process.
- But this may turn out to be a burden to the employees as it can increase the stress levels of the employees.
So, here comes the definition of Job enlargement:
5. Job enlargement is the process of expansion of duties and responsibilities of a job.
- In this, new duties and responsibilities are added at the same level of the job.
- It is a horizontal expansion of the job, and the employees become cross skilled at the current job level.
- The knowledge of the employees regarding the process improves.
- It may become a burden to the employees and decrease the quality of work.
Now, to understand the concept of job enrichment, let us consider the same organization QPR. It has three departments which offer service to the customers. The customers can call, chat or send an email regarding their query.
- The company took the help of a development team and provided a knowledge base with all the possible problems with the solutions.
- The employees can search the knowledge base regarding the customer query and provide the possible solutions quickly.
- This will decrease the stress levels of the employees, making it more interesting. It is an addition of value to the current job.
You got how they enriched the job? So,
6. Job enrichment is the process of adding more value to the job by adding more resources and interesting tasks accompanied by the increase in pay.
- It is the process of motivating the employees to learn new skills that can help them to accomplish the task more effectively and efficiently.
- It is a vertical expansion of the job, and it deals with the improvement of the current job.
- In this, new tasks for another job are not added, but the current tasks of the job are improved.
- In this process, the main objective of the organization is to increase the job satisfaction levels of the employees.
- The job description includes all the duties and responsibilities of a job.
- The job specification includes educational qualifications, certifications, skills, qualities, projects, communication skills, languages to be known, etc.
- Job analysis is a process of determining the nature of the job by studying its duties, responsibilities and the skills, knowledge, qualification required to accomplish the job in an effective manner.
- Job Classification is a process of division of jobs according to their duties and responsibilities and giving a designation to each job.
- Job enlargement is the process of expansion of duties and responsibilities of a job to make it more challenging.
- Job enrichment is the process of adding more value to the job by adding more resources and interesting tasks.
Hope the above notes help you understand the confusing job terms, Let us know in the comments below if you like the article!
Commentswrite a comment