UGC NET Subjects: In this article, we will be discussing the list of subjects asked in UGC NET. The candidates have to select one of the subjects based on their master's degree subject.
- The UGC NET has two Papers, i.e. Paper 1 (General Aptitude) and Paper 2. The candidates appearing for this exam can select one of the subjects out of 101 subjects from the list below. The CSIR NET is different from UGC NET.
- Now, we will list all the subjects asked in both the Exams. The list of subjects is:
NTA UGC NET Subjects
1. Full form of NTA UGC NET:
- NTA (National Testing Agency)
- UGC (University Grants Commission)
- NET (National Eligibility Test)
2. Function of NTA UGC NET:
NTA conducts this test to select the candidates for Assistant Professor & Junior Research Fellowship in different colleges and universities across the country. This exam is conducted twice a year, and the paper is conducted in Online mode. There are 82 subjects in which NTA conducts the UGC NET Exam.
3. The list of 82 subjects asked in NTA UGC NET Exam are:
The List of Subjects and their Codes for December 2021 and June 2022 (merged cycles) of UGC NET is mentioned below in the table. A new subject “Hindu Studies” (Subject code 102) has been introduced to the list of subjects.
UGC NET Subjects
|Adult Education/Continuing Education/Andragogy/Non-Formal Education||46|
|Arab Culture and Islamic Studies||49|
|Buddhist, Jaina, Gandhian and Peace Studies||60|
|Comparative Study of Religions||62|
|Computer Science and Applications||87|
|Defence and Strategic Studies||11|
|Economics/Rural Economics/Co-operation/Demography/Development Planning/Development Studies/Econometrics/Applied Economics/Development Economics/Business Economics||1|
|French (French Version)||39|
|Human Rights and Duties||92|
|Labour Welfare/Personnel Management/Industrial Relations/Labour and Social Welfare/Human Resource Management||55|
|Library and Information Science||59|
|Management (including Business Admn. Mgt./Marketing/Marketing Mgt./Industrial Relations and Personnel Mgt./ Personnel Mgt./Financial Mgt./Co-operative Management)||17|
|Mass Communication and Journalism||63|
|Museology & Conservation||66|
|Performing Art - Dance/Drama/Theatre||65|
|Politics including International Relations/International Studies including Defence/Strategic Studies, West Asian Studies, South East Asian Studies, African Studies, South Asian Studies, Soviet Studies, American Studies||90|
|Sanskrit traditional subjects (including Jyotisha/Sidhanta Jyotish/Navya Vyakarna/Vyakarna/Mimansa/Navya Nyaya/Sankhya Yoga/Tulanatmaka Darsan/Shukla Yajurveda/Madhav Vedant/Dharmasasta/Sahitya/Puranotihasa/Agama)||73|
|Social Medicine & Community Health||82|
|Tourism Administration and Management.||93|
|Tribal and Regional Language/Literature||70|
|Visual Art (including Drawing & Painting/Sculpture Graphics/Applied Art/History of Art)||79|
How to select the UGC NET Subject?
As per the official UGC NET 2022 Information Bulletin, “Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their Post-Graduation only. The candidates whose Post Graduation subject is not covered in the list of NET subjects
attached as Appendix -V may appear in a related subject.” So the candidates applying for the UGC NET 2022 should choose the UGC NET subject as per their area of specialisation in their post-graduation degree. If a candidate’s post-graduation subject is not mentioned in the subject list prescribed by UGC, the candidate can choose a related subject.
- Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Management can appear in Management (Code 17) and Labour Welfare/Personnel Management/Industrial Relations/Labour and Social Welfare/Human Resource Management (Code 55).
- Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Geography (with specialisation in Population Studies) or Mathematics/ Statistics can appear in the subject Population Studies (Code 015).
Once a candidate opts for a subject in UGC NET, the subject can't be changed later under any condition. So the candidate should opt for the subject wisely.
Preparation Tips for upcoming NET EXAM 2022
- Check the complete syllabus and examination pattern of NET EXAM thoroughly
- Start preparing for the exam with a schedule
- Practice with the previous year’s question papers and their solution
- Keep revision of all topics from the topics daily
- Check your progress with mock tests
- Study carefully and do maintain your health.
Team BYJU'S Exam Prep.