To begin with, Let me ask a few things.." Do you all believe that you are the author of your life? You are worthy of having all your dreams come true? Do you see the perfection in what are and what you do? " Just open your heart and listen to it to get the true answer. Imperfection, illusion, the limitation is all we are surrounded with until we believe the fact that "The thought is the limit". Yes, Our mind is the one which dictates our destiny and our dominant thought is what determines our world. As we transform our thoughts, we transform our feelings and thus transform our life.
Well, you must be wondering if the article is all about self-transformation or about English Preparation for upcoming examinations. The reason which compelled me to initiate like this is to make you all aware of the fact that Everyone has the power of Genius. “You all can do extraordinary things if you believe you can”- this is what will drive you. So before proceeding further, I would simply like to urge you all to Keep faith in yourself and on your capabilities. You are a star and your destiny is to shine. Qualifying and increasing your score in English in Banking Recruitment Exam is more or less dependent on our thought or opinion to it. It may appear contradictory to some of you but believe me '"Nothing is missing", and "If they can do it, I can do it !".
Importance of English Section for Bank Exams
English is one of the important section but unfortunately most avoided and least prepared and thus It's not surprising that many students are unable to crack Exams mainly because they are unable to score well in this section. Initially, it's was all about clearing the sectional cutoff but now the trend is changing. Sectional cutoff from some major exams has been removed. It is important to score well to increase your overall score. Once you analyze SBI PO Mains and IBPS PO Mains 2018, you will find that QUANT AND REASONING sections are shifting gears from moderate to High Level and thus need of the hour is to score high in GENERAL AWARENESS AND ENGLISH for an overall increase of your score in the exam. Of course, GA TORNADO by GRADEUP is there with you and all you need is to mug it up. But English Section needs your attention. You will have to prepare for it if you want to excel.
Before I begin with the detailed syllabus, Let's think over a few important points.
- Do I need to attempt all the 30/40/50 ques of English in Exams?
- Do I need to read the complete passage?
- Is it possible to attempt all English Questions in given sectional time.
Obviously Not !!. It's all about testing our strategy, our ability to find easy questions and attempt it with accuracy.
Now, Detailed Syllabus..
English section mainly comprises of two parts::
a) Common Errors
b ) Sentence Correction/Improvement
a) Cloze Test
b) Sentence Rearrangement
c) Double Fillers
d) Reading Comprehension
How to prepare for English Section for Bank Exams::
- Once the rules are clear you can practice sample papers of previous years along with Daily Quizzes, Sectional Test and Mock Test of BYJU'S Exam Prep and make sure you analyze it, even if you are correct.
- To deal with Common errors and sentence correction, You can't deny of the fact that you need to be well versed with the basics of a few important grammar rules along with some exceptions within it. No, I don't mean you have to mug up all rules with examples. You all are aware of it . All that is needed is a scan of those rules (8-10 imp rules for each grammar essentials i.e Articles, Syntax, Noun, Pronoun, Adjective, verb, Adverb, Preposition, Conjunction) and an exercise based on those rules, if there is any doubt or if you want to test your grasp over those.
- Reading Newspaper, novels, magazines, and educational blogs will add fuel to your preparation. At the initial stage, you can start reading with what attracts you the most. All I mean is you have to develop Reading Habit.
Vocabulary Preparation Tips::
- Start reading "The Hindu" or "The Indian Express" or The Economic Times" as per your interest or availability. It doesn't mean you have to read the whole newspaper. Read only what is important. Preference should be Ist page, Editorial page, Business page, world page and a quick scan to sports column. In this way, you are done with English as well as GA.
- Daily wordlist is provided by BYJU'S Exam Prep along with its usage. Apart from memorizing it, try to use it in your daily practice/ conversation/ writing etc.
- Whenever you encounter new words, before making a note of it try to find or predict it's meaning based on the context it's been used. In this way, you will enhance your understanding and become familiar to new words. It will also help you in RC and Cloze Test. Making a note of unknown words and glancing those on a daily basis is highly recommendable. Believe me, you will encounter those words again and again and thus you will be adding new words to your Vocabulary list without much effort.
- While reading, glance through the usage of grammar or words arrangement also. It will brief you with the beauty of the sentence when the apt word is used. It will also help you in Cloze test.
- Another way to improve your vocabulary is reading “word power made easy”. But again It requires your dedicated and continuous effort and will help you in long run. It’ll not make much difference if you buy it just before the exam.
A. Cloze Test::
- It’s options may appears bit confusing but ones you are familiar with the ideas of the passage you can eliminate the odd one out.
- Read the passage and go with the flow of the sentence to get the message behind the passage.
- If there is any doubt it’s better to skip that question rather than attempting it to satisfy your ego.
- Regular Practice is the key to solve cloze test with maximum accuracy.
B. Sentence Rearrangement/ Para Jumbles ::
- Read complete passage properly to find out the theme of the passage
- Find out the Independent sentence, it’ll give you the lead (most of the time it’s 1st sentence)
- Find out the connecting sentences( looking carefully for the repetition of the noun with the pronoun)
- Identify the pair while looking for some cause, effect, the problem then its solution
- At last, find the message, result and conclusion mainly representing the purpose of the passage. ( special words:: thus, therefore, hence, however, so etc)
Regular practice at least a set daily will give you the confidence to attempt it in the exam with accuracy. Don’t make wild guess. If you are unsure, find the 1st and the last sentence and you can skip the rest.
C. Double Fillers::
- Read the whole sentence to get the message and go with the flow.
- Go with the second part first to get the proper sequence or meaning of the sentence while keeping the grammar rules in mind (especially tense.)
- Think of the logic behind the option, you can also go with Odd one out strategy.
- Accuracy is the key, so better be sure before marking your answer.
D. Reading Comprehension::
- Mostly RC passages are tough especially in PO exams and the reason is financial news. Reading Online Newspaper will help you.
- Don’t spend much time on the single question.
- Skip those questions which ask you to find out the correct or incorrect from the passage or have multiple options to look for.
- Keeping time factor in mind, it’s better to attempt only Antonyms and Synonyms.
Note: At last but not the least, Banking is all about Speed and Accuracy. Time management is important and for that, you need to practice. Attempt sectional test and quizzes of Gradestack. Practice previous year sample papers ( 25 mins for English) and analyze it. I bet you all can score 25+ in English.
Few other points::
- Listen English Songs.
- Watch English Movies/ News/ Conversation.
- Read English Newspaper/ blogs/ Novels.
- Participate in Conversation ( Prefer to speak or write in English only)
Read somewhere:: “If you study/give 180 plus minutes a day on the topic you have chosen to master, you could be at the cutting edge of your field at the end of two years.”
This is the moment to decide what you would love to dedicate your time and life to. It is not possible to always succeed, so it’s important to learn from your mistakes. Your willingness to dust off the failures, move on to bigger, newer dreams, take a fresh risk and of course to believe in oneself will set you apart from others.
So let’s begin!
Attempt very important English Language Quizzes on daily basis through the link shared below -
Complete Guide to prepare English Language Section -
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App