Maths is an important section in the NDA Exam which must be cleared by the candidates with good scores to increase their chances of selection. It is vital to go through the NDA Maths preparation strategy provided in this article as it is a highly scoring section that can be a game changer in the written exam marks.
Click Here to Watch Free classes from Yodha Series
Most Important Chapters for NDA Maths
Before discussing the NDA Maths preparation strategy, let us first talk about the pattern of the Mathematics section.
- Total duration: 2 ½ hours
- Total Number of Questions: 120
- Marks for each correct answer: +2.5
- Marks for each wrong answer: -0.83
- Maximum marks: 300
The table below mentions the topics that are asked & the number of questions asked topic-wise in the NDA Mathematics paper.
No. of Questions (estimate)
NDA Maths Algebra and Vector Algebra
Sets, Venn Diagrams and De Morgan Laws, Cartesian Product Relation, Real and Complex Numbers
NDA Maths Trigonometry
Angles and their degree and radians measure, Trigonometric ratios and identities, Sum and difference formulae, Multiple and sub-multiple angles, Properties of a triangle, Inverse trigonometric functions, Applications, etc.
NDA Maths Matrices and Determinants
Types of matrices, Determinant and properties, Operations on matrices, Adjoint and inverse, Applications, etc.
Statistics and Probability
Classification of data, Frequency Distribution, Cumulative Frequency Distribution, Histogram, Pie Chart, Frequency Polygon, Measure of central tendency, Variance and standard deviance, Correlation and regression, Random experiment, Outcomes and sample spaces, Events and types, Conditional probability, Bayes’ theorem, Random variable, Binomial distribution, etc.
Rectangular Cartesian Coordinate System, Distance Formula, Equation of a line, Angle between two lines, Distance of a point from a line, Equation of a circle, Ellipse, Parabola, and Hyperbola, Eccentricity and axis of a cone, etc.
Differential and Integral Calculus
Real valued function, Range and graph of a function, Composite function, Product and quotient of a function, Derivative of a function at a point, Derivative of sum, Derivative of function with respect to another function, Derivative of a composite function, Second order derivatives, Increasing and decreasing functions, Applications, Integration as inverse of differentiation, Integration by substitution and by parts, Standard integrals, Trigonometric, exponential, and hyperbolic functions, General and particular solution of a differential equation, etc.
The candidate can refer to any of the under-mentioned books to aid in their preparation for the NDA Mathematics section of the exam.
Best Book for NDA Maths
Reading the right NDA Books for Maths is crucial for the exam to develop your concept and build your base. So to reduce your complications, our experts have shared the best books for NDA Maths:
Mathematics for NDA and NA: National Defense Academy and Naval Academy
R S Aggarwal
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations
R S Aggarwal
Study Package Mathematics NDA/NA Entrance Exam
Path Finder for NDA and NA National Defense Academy/Naval Academy Entrance Examination
NDA Mathematics (Hindi)
RPH Editorial Board
NDA and NA Entrance Examination: Previous Solved Papers
Mathematics Textbook for Class XI & XII
NDA Mathematics Preparation Tips
Candidates can look at the tips to prepare for the NDA Mathematics paper in the best manner:
- The candidates must have a clear understanding of the NDA Syllabus & should note important and scoring topics based on the analysis of NDA Previous Year Papers.
- They should make a proper timetable allotting more time to important & high-weightage topics.
- They should solve NDA Mock Tests as many as possible to get the real feel of the examination & get habitual with time-bounded practice. It will develop the ability to solve maximum questions in a limited time. Also, solve previous year's questions chapter-wise to get an understanding of the level of questions that are asked.
- They should learn shortcut tricks that can come in handy during exam time. You can refer to our YouTube videos for that.
- The candidates should remember fast calculation techniques for finding squares & cubes.
- Make important formulas & shortcuts notes for quick revision.
- The candidates should focus on developing accuracy while solving the problems in time bound manner. One wrong question can keep you out of the race.
Most Important Topics for NDA Maths
Here are the details of important topics for the NDA Maths section:
- Algebra - Questions that are asked in this section are usually easy. Most questions are formula & result oriented. So make sure you remember all the important results of complex numbers (cube root of unity, conjugate, etc.), Binomial theorem, and P&C.
- Calculus - It has important chapters like Application of derivatives, differentiation, definite integral, Area under the curve, etc. If you develop a good understanding of graphs & how to use them, you can score good marks in this section.
- Coordinate Geometry - This is the most scoring topic in the NDA Maths paper. This is another topic that can help you to acquire maximum marks.
Give more importance to chapters like Vectors, complex numbers, and 3-D as compared to Probability or Indefinite integration. Most of the questions asked are result based. so make sure you maintain notes of all important formulas & results.
Hoping this article will help you in framing a winner strategy for the NDA Maths section. We will be posting more such articles, stay tuned.
Commentswrite a comment