- Refraction index and index of refraction are other names for the term "refractive index."
- The characteristics of the medium affect the speed of light in that medium.
- The optical density of the medium affects the speed of electromagnetic waves.
- The propensity of the atoms of a substance to restore the absorbed electromagnetic energy is known as optical density.
- The optical density of a material determines how fast light travels through it.
- The refractive index is one such measure of a medium's optical density.
The refractive index of ice is 1.31 and that of rock salt is 1.54. Calculate the refractive index of rock salt with respect to the refractive index of ice.
Ice has a refractive index of 1.31 while rock salt has a refractive index of 1.54. The difference between the refractive indices of ice and rock salt is 1.17. Refractive indexes have no dimensions. It is a measurement of how much slower a light wave would move through a material than it would in a vacuum.