Is it really challenging to crack the GATE exam on the first attempt? Most of us say yes to this answer as it seems due to a large number of aspirants (around 10 to 12 lakhs) appearing for GATE making the competition tougher and a good level of conceptual questions which test all knowledge out of a candidate. Students who have a strong foundation in all of the GATE subjects can clear the exam in 6 months with a high score.
Honestly speaking this is just a myth of our mind which is set up by social misconceptions among students. This article will focus on guiding you to strategize your preparation at each stage and easily diminish the phobia to crack the GATE exam in less than six months.
What is the Right Time to Start Preparing for GATE?
Eligibility is one of the important factors which should be evident for a candidate. Talking about the audience for the GATE exam, students at three stages of life are discerned to prepare and crack GATE.
- Candidates who are in the 2nd year of their graduation start preparing for GATE have enough time for their first attempt and they should steadily go on brushing their concepts before striving for GATE.
- Candidates who are pursuing their final year of graduation are more determined for GATE 2022 as they are premier candidates for the first attempt.
- Last but not the least, candidates who have already been passed out may or may not have appeared for GATE also eager to crack the GATE 2022 exam with a good score.
This article will be focussing on the last two audiences as they are more organized and prone aspirants for GATE.
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern
The GATE 2022 Exam Pattern aids in knowing the types of questions, marking technique, and question weightage analysis in the test. As a result, aspirants should set aside some time to read through the test pattern and the GATE Syllabus in order to create an effective Study Plan ahead of the exam date.
|GATE Exam Pattern 2022 Highlights|
|Number of Questions|
|Types of Questions|
|Number of Sections|
|Weightage by Section|
|Total Time Duration|
Challenges Faced During GATE Preparation
There are some challenges for candidates who are in a final year or have just completed their graduation. Final year candidates have to parallelly focus on semester subjects and projects with GATE preparation. So, the candidate should manage time out of this to prepare sternly for GATE. Also, the candidate who has been passed out are more confused and feel freight to choose the right path for the future. Though the candidates who considered GATE as his goal do not complicate his target with such struggling factors.
Prerequisites for GATE Preparation
Stepping towards the path for GATE preparation, there are some initial imperatives which candidates should equip to strengthen their armour of knowledge.
- Some of the candidates believe cracking the GATE exam with a good score requires a lot of time but eventually, a six-month proper strategy can lead you towards the topper’s list of candidates for GATE.
- Before crumbling your preparation to understand each subject, Candidates should go through the GATE Syllabus carefully for relative specializations.
- Start collecting the last 15 previous year's papers for GATE which would help you out in understanding the pattern and level of questions asked in GATE.
- Prefer standard GATE preparation books for each subject as most of the time GATE questions are directly linked to questions given in such textbooks.
- Analyze previous year's GATE papers and categorize the subjects of your specialization with maximum and minimum weightage.
Six Months Study Plan for GATE 2022
As it is already discussed with stringent strategy and preparation of six months, a candidate can crack the GATE exam in the first attempt with a good score. This evolution process is summarized journey of several stages which are discussed as:
- Based on an examination of previous year's papers, the candidate must cover those subjects that have the highest weightage in the early stages of preparation. It is critical to have weekly time management of chapters when targeting each subject, completing each chapter/topic of a subject according to its set targeted week.
- Following completion of that chapter, candidates can practice previous year's papers based on that topic in order to better understand the difficulty and pattern of questions asked on that topic. If the candidate continues in this direction, he or she should be able to complete all of the subjects with the highest weightage within two to three months.
- It is important to gain conceptual knowledge out of a topic as questions asked in GATE are tricky and related to concepts. Candidates can refer to standard books to find shortcuts and tricks or can refer to GATE Notes, video lectures, and other sources which apparently would save time and put you forward in competition with others.
- Spanning the entire preparation with the good habit of making notes will help the candidate to quickly revise for GATE in the last months prior to the exam. In such a way candidate should cover up the whole GATE syllabus in four months if possible otherwise candidate can stick to some important subjects and should cover all topics of such subjects deeply.
- It is very important to revise subjects you have prepared for GATE at least two months prior to the GATE exam. At this stage of preparation, all the notes you have created will help you quickly and easily revise the subjects properly. Practice more objective questions while revising subjects which will boost your confidence in attending the event's trickiest question out of a subject.
- Briefing strategy to last one month prior to the GATE exam, this is the right time when a candidate should opt for a GATE Mock Test. As there are some new factors included in GATEs like a virtual calculator and Numerical problems, candidates will come to know about these in attending mock test series and get familiar with the online GATE Exam pattern.
- Analyze yourself through each attempt of the test and focus on strengthening week topics or points that you feel need to improve. Pay Emphasis on Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude section as it covers 30% of total weightage and will inch up your score for a good rank.
Acquiring such a strategy will mobilize your thoughts of cracking GATE in the first attempt with a good score and boost your confidence for the GATE exam. The above-detailed strategy is provided in tabular form for better visualization.
There is no best principle to crack the GATE and is always unique to your preparation. Believe yourself during the entire preparation of GATE as it needs time and hard work to complete the syllabus. Bring the best in your abilities and nothing is impossible when many have already cracked GATE with zero initial knowledge. Success always comes slowly but it requires your time and effort to achieve the GOAL.
“One Important Key to Success is self-confidence, an important key to self-confidence is preparation”
We have seen a considerable increase in student success for the past three consecutive years. In 2019, 30+ students were under AIR 100, in 2020 the number goes to 60+ and in GATE 2021 we got 100+ students in this category.
We are proud of all the Aspirants. So we are dedicating a whole page basis of their achievement. Here, you can check the views and experiences about BYJU'S Exam Prep from its rising stars.
All the best.