Sociology Optional Syllabus Overview
The Sociology optional syllabus for UPSC is divided into two papers namely Paper 1 and Paper 2. Each paper carried 250 marks which makes it a total of 500 marks.
UPSC Syllabus for Sociology Optional
UPSC Sociology Syllabus Paper 1
Fundamentals of Sociology
UPSC Sociology Syllabus Paper 2
Indian Society: Structure and Change
The Sociology Syllabus for UPSC covers crucial topics about Indian society, caste system, social classes, and different aspects of religion and society.
Sociology Syllabus for UPSC - PDF Download
Candidates can download the UPSC Sociology Syllabus in both English and Hindi by clicking on the link we have provided below.
UPSC Sociology Syllabus for Paper 1
Paper 1 of the sociology optional syllabus for UPSC consists of 10 topics which are further divided into sub-topics
UPSC Sociology Syllabus for Paper 2
Paper 2 of the sociology syllabus for UPSC pdf consist of 3 sections such as introducing Indian society, social structure, and social changes in India
Most of the topics from the Sociology Optional Syllabus for UPSC overlap with the General Studies Topics. So the IAS Aspirants can prepare for both at a time.
Strategy to Prepare UPSC Sociology Optional Syllabus
The Sociology Optional Syllabus for UPSC is divided into 2papers, and to score well in both papers candidate must follow a proper preparation strategy. Here we have provided proper planning to cover the Sociology optional UPSC syllabus in the best possible way.
- Analyze the syllabus- The aspirant must go through the Sociology Optional Syllabus for UPSC to understand each and every topic and sub-topic. Download the Sociology syllabus pdf and keep a copy with yourself while preparing for this subject.
- Refer to UPSC previous year's question papers after mugging up the UPSC Sociology optional syllabus to know the nature of the question and the pattern of the questions.
- Read from the best books- there are many standard books like NCERT books, Haralambos and Holborn, Indian Sociological though by BK Nagla, etc. Try to cover all the important topics from the book you want.
- Focus on current affairs- as paper 2 of sociology optional is dynamic in nature, there are only a few standard sources available for it. So you need to connect this paper with dynamic current affairs while writing your answer.
Sociology Optional Syllabus UPSC- Best Books
Below we have covered some of the best books to cover the Sociology optional syllabus in a comprehensive way. You can refer to these UPSC sociology books and kickstart your preparation.
- Sociology Themes and Perspectives – Michael Haralambos, Martin Holborn
- Society In India: Concepts, Theories And Recent Trends – Ram Ahuja
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja
- Sociology – Anthony Giddens
- Sociological Theory – George Ritzer
- Oxford Dictionary Of Sociology
- Modernization Of Indian Tradition – Yogendra Singh
- Sociological Thought – Francis Abraham, John Henry Morgan
- Social Change In Modern India – M. N. SRINIVAS
- Caste Its Twentieth Century Avatar – M. N. SRINIVAS
- Persistence and Change in Tribal India – M.V. Rao
- Social Background of Indian Nationalism – A. R. Desai
You can cover your UPSC Sociology syllabus with the help of these books. However, it would be more beneficial if you focus on current affairs along with preparing these books. Giving UPSC mock tests and practicing previous year's papers would help the candidates to understand the Sociology syllabus for UPSC in a better way.