SMS Varanasi MBA College
SMS Varanasi was established in the year 1995. It is located in the Benaras Hindu University and holds the title of being one of the top 50 B-schools in India. SMA Varanasi has been declared the best business school in North India by ASSOCHAM and accredited as an A-grade school by NAAC. It provides overall training and development in the field of education and offers 10 undergraduate and post-graduate courses.
In one of the most recent surveys conducted by 'Business India,' the School of Management Sciences (SMS) in Varanasi acquired the 40th rank in the top 50 Business schools in India. After IIM Lucknow, SMS Varanasi is next in line for the best B-schools in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. This Top MBA College in India provides various impressive facilities to its students, from digital classrooms, a computer centre, ATMs, and seminar halls, pushing candidates to participate in multiple events and occasions year-round.
- According to the Business India report, it has ranked 40th among the top B-schools in India.
Note the table below to get the basic highlights of SMS Varanasi, in terms of establishment year, campus area, exam accepted, and other important things.
Year of establishment
Campus area of SMS Varanasi
10 (UG &PG)
Entrance exam accepted for admission
UG courses: SMS online entrance exam
The admission process at SMS Varanasi
Entrance exam-based admission
The total strength of the faculty
Online and offline
SMS Varanasi Fees Structure
INR 2.68 lacs per annum for a 2-year MBA program
SMS Varanasi Cut Off
7472 in Round 1
6784 for the other 4 rounds
SMS Varanasi Packages (Average)
INR 4.5 lacs per annum
School of Management Sciences Varanasi (SMS) Placements
The placements drive for last year's batch of MBA at SMS Varanasi was successfully concluded despite the pandemic. As a result, the institute’s placements saw a hike in the average salaries offered by 15% compared to the previous year.
- During the final placements at the School of Management Sciences Varanasi (SMS) Varanasi, 75% of the students got placed in their respective job fields.
- There was an overall salary increase of 37% in comparison to the 2019 placement packages.
- However, during the SMS Varanasi placements process, the average salary stood at 4.5 LPA.
The below table shows a brief overview of last year's statistics for School of Management Sciences Varanasi (SMS) Placements. Check CMAT Eligibility Criteria in detail before applying for the exam
No. of recruiters
SMS Varanasi packages (Lowest)
INR 4 LPA
SMS Varanasi packages (Average)
INR 4.5 LPA
SMS Varanasi packages (Highest)
INR 10 LPA
Percentage of students placed
Dalmia Bharat Group, Berger Paints, ICICI Bank, Prism Johnson, IDFC First Bank, TCI Ltd., SBI Life Insurance Company, Axis Bank
SMS Varanasi Placements Process
The School of Management Sciences Varanasi placement process comprises of two stages:
- Pre-placement Talk- At this stage, the students are given an opportunity to interact with the corporate representatives where they are briefed about the company offerings including expected job profile, job locations, salary components, and the probable career growth paths available. Companies even provide a brief presentation of their shape, followed by a Q&A session with students to clear their doubts and queries.
- Final placement- The final placement process at SMS Varanasi starts with different reputed organizations regularly appointing management graduates from premier / reputed management institutes. Here is how the follow of events take place for the final placement round:
- SMS Varanasi maintains a database of the organizations where students have been placed earlier and update information on them on a continuous basis.
- These organizations are invited to visit the institute and hold on-campus interviews, group discussions, and personal interviews.
- They make Pre-Placement Talk, following which the selection process is conducted through group discussions and personal interviews.
- Based on their performance, the selected students are issued placement offers at SMS Varanasi.
- Some of the students get a Pre-Placement offer immediately after their summer training. These students join the organization on the due dates after they complete their course and have appeared for the final examination.
School of Management Science Varanasi (SMS) Summer Placements
After completing the second semester, SMS Varanasi students can participate in summer internships for six to eight weeks. The essential highlights of the summer internships programs at SMS Varanasi are as follows:
- There were a total of 8 pre-placement offers for the students to avail
- The popular recruiters for the summer internship program at SMS Varanasi 2021 included LG, Big Bazaar, Amul, Coca-Cola, HDFC Bank, Meru, etc
Top Recruiting Companies at SMS Varanasi
The top recruiters for the School of Management Sciences Varanasi in the last year were from the Finance, Human resources, Marketing, International Business, and Operations domains. Let's look at the domain-wise top recruiters in SMS Varanasi:
Various Companies in the Placement Process
Axis Bank, Beacon Insurance Brokers, Capita IQ, ICICI Bank, ICICI Prudential, ICICI Securities, India Infoline, Karvy Securities, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Mahindra Finance, Motilal Oswal
Apollo Hospitals, Everest Industries Ltd., Hotel Sun & Sand, Indian Airlines, Infopro, Jet Airways, Tata Chemicals, Tata Indicom, Bajaj Consumer Care, Kajaria Ceramics, Reliance JIO
Amul, Apollo Tyres, Asian Paints, Agarwal Packers & Movers, Bajaj Electricals, Berger Paints, British Paints, Bridgestone India, Blue Dart, Ceasefire Industries Ltd., ColdEX, Colgate Palmolive, Dabur India
Airports Authority of India, C&'S Electric Limited, DSS Communications, Indian Airlines, Indorama, Ispat Industries, Panacea Biotec, TCI, Indigo
Airtel, Convergys, Dalmia Consumer Care, HCL Infosystems, People Cyclotron, Reliance Retail, TATA Consultancy Services, Decathlon Sports India Pvt. Ltd., Outlook Group, OYO Room
☛ Also Check: MAT Question Paper
SMS Varanasi: Sector-Wise Placements
The sector-wise placements Schools of Management Sciences Varanasi have always been terrific in the Sales, Business Development, and Engineering segments. They witnessed participation from several new companies and multiple returning recruiters.
Number of Offers Accepted
School of Management Sciences Varanasi (SMS): Top Alumni Recruiters:
The SMS Varanasi alumni network works across several sectors, including Sales, Business Development, Finance, and consulting. This alumni statistics stands at over 1,567 members out of which 356 are currently working in the Sales sector, 238 in Business Development, 142 in Engineering, and the rest in others. Go through the expert-recommended CAT Preparation Tips and be prepared for the exam in the best way.
SMS Varanasi: Sector-Wise Salary Package
The School of Management Sciences Varanasi salary record has seen a rise over the past few years, with the top grade corporate houses of the country picking up freshers from the campus itself, primarily in PGDM Courses. SMS, Varanasi has initiated student-industry interaction by inviting frontline corporate houses to its campus for the final placement of its students in various corporate houses. Here is the sector-wise salary analysis of the past years in LPA:
Here's a glance at the previous years' trends for School of Management Sciences (SMS) Varanasi placements (salaries in lakhs per annum):
Highest Salary (Domestic)
SMS Varanasi Cut-Off
Note the below points to get an idea of the minimum cutoffs requirements for the School of Management Sciences (SMS)
- For MBA courses, the UPSEE cut-off for the first round is 7472, while for the rest of the 4 rounds, it is 6784.
- For the MCA program, the UPSEE cut-off for the first round is 3453, while for the rest of the four rounds, it is 2270.
☛ Related Links:
- CMAT Registration
- CAT Registration
- NMAT Registration
- XAT Registration
- MBA CET Registration
- MAT Registration
School of Management Sciences (SMS) Fees Structure
The courses offered by the institution include MBA, BBA, MCOM, BCOM, BCOM (Hons), BA (HONS. Mass communication), MCA, and BCA. Following are the fees structures for some of the standard SMS Varanasi courses.
- The MBA Fees structure for various specializations such as Marketing, Finance, and HR is INR 2,88,000.
- The Fees structure for the BBA course in SMS Varanasi is INR 1,95,000
- The PGDM Fees structure for various specializations such as Marketing, Finance, HR, International Business, and Retail Management is INR 2,40,000.
- The SMS Varanasi MCOM course costs about INR 80,000.
- The Fees structure for the BCOM course in SMS Varanasi is INR 1,20,000.
- The Fees structure for the BCom (Hons) course is INR 1,62,000.
For students who find it challenging to enroll in management programs because of the high fees, School of Management Sciences Varanasi can be quite a viable option. The fees are reasonable compared to the quality of education provided, and there are multiple options to avail of student loans. Banks including Kashi Gomti Samyut Gramin Bank and Canara Bank have partnered with the institution to facilitate educational loans for students.
Course-Wise Eligibility Details at SMS Varanasi
To seek admission to the prestigious institute, candidates must meet the below-mentioned SMS Varanasi Course eligibility requirements:
Graduation with 50%
BCA/ bachelor degree in CS/ Engineering or equivalent degree or BSc/ BCom/ BA with Mathematics in graduation/ Class 12
The minimum aggregate required is 50% (45% for SC/ ST category)
10+2 with Commerce/ Economics/ Mathematics
10+2 with Math
Graduation with a minimum aggregate of 50% (45% for SC/ ST category) from a recognized university/ equivalent
SMS Varanasi: Online Courses
School of Management Sciences Varanasi provides different online courses for working professionals to upgrade their skills. SMS Varanasi free online courses offer 7 classes for the candidates, which are :
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Executive Programme in Financial Management
- Advanced Strategic Management Practices
- Selling Dynamics
- Designing of Business Organisation
- Small Business Management & Entrepreneurship
- Advertising & Brand Management
- Certificate Course in Web Development using PHP MySQL
SMS Varanasi Admission Process
Mentioned below are the various steps involved in the School of Management Sciences Varanasi (SMS) MBA admission process. Also Check: NMAT Syllabus
- Phase 1: The initial step is where the applicants take the SMS Varanasi MBA entrance examination to get admission into this educational institution.
- Phase 2: The college then shortlists candidates based on the marks obtained in the entrance exam and their academic profile.
- Phase 3: Once the applicants get shortlisted, they receive a call for counseling and a personal interview.
- Phase 4 - The final selection of the students is then made based on their performance in all three MBA admission processes. Once the student gets the final call letter, they must pay the admission fees to confirm the allotted seat.
Important Points on School of Management Sciences Varanasi (SMS) Admission Process
To take admission to the SMS Varanasi, students must qualify for the entrance exams for the MBA course. These entrance tests can be from one of the following types:
- National Level MBA Entrance Exams are administered by a top examination body or a top public management institution on account of the other participating universities. e.g., CMAT, CAT, MAT or ATMA
- State Level Entrance Test administered by a state-level examination authority or a top category B-school on account of the other participating universities in that state. Eg: KMAT, OJEE, MBA CET, TANCET or APICET
- Examination administered by a B-school for admission to its MBA program. In most cases, these numbers can be taken as a qualifying standard by other management colleges. Eg: XAT, IIFT, SNAP, NMAT, IBSAT
School of Management Sciences Varanasi (SMS) Scholarships
SMS Varanasi offers various Scholarships that students can avail of, as per their grades and requirements. The list of scholarships tabulated below:
Eligibility Criteria and Scholarship Amount
Babu Nageshwar Singh Scholarships for Postgraduate Studies.
Granted to students securing 60% overall percentage of Marks in BBA/BCA/B.Com/B.Com(H)/B.Tech. Courses at SMS.
10% of the first-year fee
Merit scholarship for new admissions in BBA, BCA, B.COM, B.COM(H), B.A.(H) Mass communication
SMART scholarship for new admissions in BBA, BCA, B.COM, B.COM(H), B.A.(H) Mass Communication:
If overall marks obtained by students in class XII are 85% and above, the scholarship would equal 15% of the first-year fee.
If overall marks obtained by students in class XII is between 70% and 85%, the scholarship would be equal to 10% of the total first-year fee.
If the percentage of Marks Obtained by Students in SMART is 60% and above, then 10% of the first-year fee is granted as a scholarship by SMS Varanasi college administration.
Infrastructure and Facilities at SMS Varanasi
The infrastructure and facilities at the School of Management Sciences Varanasi are well-equipped with state-of-the-art amenities:
- Library: The library at SMS Varanasi houses 40,000 books on various core and specialized subjects, in the field of Computer technology and Management. The library at SMS is a member of DELNET and all the faculties and students can avail of its advantages and features.
- Other facilities: The SMS Varanasi has separate hostels for boys and girls, clad with various indoor games and other recreational activities. The college even has a Gym facility, a well-ventilated cafeteria, an auditorium with a seating capacity of 500 students, wi-fi connectivity with 8mbps broadband connection, spacious classrooms equipped with all modern teaching aids, transport facilities for the students and the staff members, and banking ATM facilities and guest rooms for student's family members and visiting faculties.
- Sports facilities: SMS Varanasi has dedicated indoor and outdoor sports areas, which students can use free of cost.
SMS Varanasi Hostel
School of Management Sciences Varanasi has extraordinary residential facilities for both boys and girls. There are separate hostels for each gender. The rooms are well furnished and comfortable. Besides the reading room and library facilities, there are facilities for indoor games and other recreational facilities within the hostel premises in both the Girl's hostel as well as the Boy's hostel.
The hostel charges of SMS Varanasi are as follows:
- Boys: – INR 80,000/- for Triple Seater
- Girls: – INR 95,000/-for Double Seater and INR85,000/-for Triple Seater
- (Hostel Fees include food, lodging, and transportation for one academic year)
- Security Deposit – INR 2,000 (refundable)
SMS Varanasi Faculty and Alumni
School of Management Sciences Varanasi (SMS) has an active Alumni Association with an in-depth institutional framework that provides professional development, interaction, and networking for its holistic development. The SMS Varanasi association pushes alumni in lateral career movement and career development and tries to create opportunities where alumni can interact with current SMS students to boost the students' confidence by sharing their experiences and achievements.
SMS Varanasi has 46 faculty members in its various courses excelling in management and computer sciences. Apart from this, the school organizes visits by external faculty members from the international, academic, and industrial forums.