What is Sagar Mala Project?
The Sagarmala project is a phenomenal initiative taken by the government of India that aims to connect the ports of the country.
- This project was introduced with the vision of reducing the logistical costs for domestic and cargo by having an advanced infrastructure.
- The Sagarmala project aims to harness about 750 km of coastline to enhance its economic prospects, and it can be seen on the Sagarmala project map as well.
- Apart from this, the Sagarmala program also intends to increase and create a developed infrastructure to transport goods using force more efficiently and effectively.
Latest News about Sagarmala Project
After 2015, again in January 2021, the Sagarmala project came into focus with its latest updates by introducing a special service called the Sagarmala SeaPlane Services.
- This amazing and ambitious project is launched by Sagarmala Development Company Limited under the special purpose vehicle framework.
- The aim of introducing these Sagarmala Seaplane Services is to facilitate the population with hassle-free travel across the country through waterways with the seaplanes.
- This was inaugurated by the Prime Minister on the route between Kevadia and the Sabarmati River Front.
Objectives of Sagarmala Project
Reducing the cost of logistics for EXIM is the primary objective of the Sagarmala Project. The other objectives are as follows
- to identify the upcoming industrial capacities near the coastline to cut down on the cost of logistics for bulk commodities.
- to develop the discrete manufacturing cluster that will be situated nearby sports in order to enhance the competition in the export of goods.
- Optimize the timing for import and export container movement.
- create 40 new direct jobs and 60 indirect jobs for youth in this field.
Features of Sagarmala Project
The Sagarmala program was launched by the ministry of shipping on July 31st, 2015.
- The total expenditure allotted for this project is over 4 crores. It has 150 initiatives in four areas, which are: improving the port connectivity; upgrading the existing infrastructure; creating 14 coastal economic zones as well as a special economic zone, and training the existing fisherman and other coastal communities to create job opportunities.
- A company called Sagarmala Development Company was formed to fulfill the purpose of the Sagarmala project in 2016.
- To reduce India's dependency on foreign nations for technology, the center for inland and coastal maritime technology has also been set up at IIT Kharagpur.
Components of the Sagarmala Project
Following are the components of the Sagarmala Project-
Port Modernization and New Port Development:
Expand the capacity of existing ports, and develop new greenfield ports.
Port Connectivity Enhancement:
Enhance and improve the links between inland and the Port and also develop the domestic waterways.
Develop the industries nearby the force and reduce the cost of Logistics for domestic operations.
Coastal Community Development:
Providing fire-safety training projects for workers which are directly funded by the project and focus on improving the lifestyle of employees by providing proper training and skills.
Coastal Shipping and Inland Waterways Transport:
Moving the cargo in an easy manner such that it does not create any harm to the environment and promotes the sustainability of industrialization.
Issues related to Sagarmala Project
The Sagarmala Project connects the ports of different cities in India, which is a very costly project.
- The turnaround time taken is about 4 days, which is about 2 days at the global level. Hence, the Sagarmala Project is a gamechanger in the field of logistics as it cuts down the turnaround time and costs related to it.
- Apart from the turnaround time, the last mile connectivity is also an issue, as it is necessary to ensure the easy movement of cargo, which will eventually lead to economic growth and increased productivity.
- The participation of inland waterways cargo is reduced as it counts up to only 6%, which is much less than other countries like China, the USA, etc.
Significance of Sagarmala Project
The Sagarmala project is of great significance to India's coastal line as
- It improves the condition of the population living near the coastal areas.
- It helps people by providing them with employment opportunities.
- It boosts the Indian economy and global supply chain and improves its reputation at the global level.
- It helps to improve and foster the businesses and eventually the economy of India.
Sagarmala Project UPSC
Current affairs and especially the government schemes are important to keep in the count when you go to attempt the UPSC Exam. Sagarmala Project, as kept on updating by the government, becomes important to learn from the current affairs section and important for the UPSC Prelims GS1 paper and UPSC Mains GS3 paper. Also to stay updated with various other UPSC current affairs-related topics using the UPSC study material provided here. Also, you should practice the preparation through the UPSC Previous Year Question Paper.
Sagarmala Project UPSC Notes PDF
We have provided a direct link to download the Sagarmala UPSC notes PDF below. It is recommended that the candidates must download the PDF file of Sagarmala notes for the UPSC exam, which would make their preparation effective.
Sagarmala Project UPSC Prelims Sample Question
Question. Consider the following statements about the Sagarmala Project-
- It is launched under the Ministry of Shipping.
- The objective of the scheme is to link the ports of India and modernize the existing ports for creating new opportunities for fishermen by training them and for industrial growth.
Choose the correct answer below-
A) 1 only
B) 2 only
C) 1&2 both
D) None of the above
Answer= Option C