Drainage System (Himalayan Rivers + Peninsular Rivers) is a very important topic in Indian Geography form which questions have been asked in previous papers of UPSC, State PCS & other government exams. In this post, we are providing you with River System of India Questions and Answers PDF in Hindi & English.
River System of India (Himalayan Rivers + Peninsular Rivers)
- What is "Catchment Area"?
Ans. A river drains water from a particular area that is called its ' catchment area. '
- What is "Drainage Basin"?
Ans. A drainage basin is a river-drained area and its tributaries.
- Which river is called as "Sorrow of Bihar"?
- In Tibet, which of the following river is also called “Singi Khamban” or Lion’s mouth?
- What are the depositional features formed by the river?
Ans. Ox-bow lakes, Flat valleys, braided channels, flood plains, and deltas.
- What is the length of the river Indus?
Ans. 2880 Km (in India 1114 km)
- Through which of the following region Indus river enters into Pakistan?
Ans. Dardistan Region
- Which of the following rivers are the Indus river tributaries?
Ans. Shyok, Gilgit, Zaskar, Hunza, Nubra, Shigar, Gasting and Dras.
- Kabul is the right bank tributary of which of the following river?
- Mention some right bank tributaries of Indus river?
Ans. Khurram, Tochi, Gomal, Viboa and Sangar
- Panjnad is the name given to which of the following rivers?
Ans. Satluj, Beas, Ravi, Chenab and Jhelum
- Which of the following is the only Indian state through which Indus flows?
Ans. Jammu and Kashmir
- Which of the following river is the largest tributary of the Indus river?
- Which of the following river joins Chenab near Jhang in Pakistan?
- Which of the following river is also known as Chandrabhaga?
- Which of the following river drains the area lying between the southeastern part of the Pir Panjal and the Dhauladhar ranges?
- Which of the following river meets Sutlej river near Harike before entering to Pakistan?
- Which of the following river is known as Langchen Khambab in Tibet?
- Which of the following river originates in the ‘Raksas Tal’ near Mansarovar?
- Bhakra Nangal Project is built on which of the following river?
- River Ganga originates from which of the following place?
Ans. Gangotri glacier near Gaumukh
- In which of the following state Gangotri Glacier is located?
- Ganga forms at the confluence of which two rivers?
Ans. Bhagirathi and Alaknanda
- Which of the following is the Alaknanda and Bhagirathi confluence site?
- Which of the following glacier is the source of the river Alaknanda?
Ans. Satopanth glacier above Badrinath
- What is the length of the Ganga River?
Ans. 2,525 km
- Which one of the following rivers has the largest river basin in India?
- The Son is the major right bank tributary of which river?
- Mention some of the left bank tributaries of the river Ganga.
Ans. Ramganga, Gomati, Ghaghara, Gandak, Kosi and Mahananda
- Where does the Ganga river finally discharges herself?
Ans. Sagar Island in the Bay of Bengal
- Which is the longest tributary of the river Ganga?
Ans. The Yamuna
- Which tributaries of the Yamuna originates from the Peninsular plateau?
Ans. Chambal, Sind, Betwa and Ken
- Which river is well known for creating a badland topography called ravines?
- Which glacier is the source/origin of the river Yamuna?
Ans. Yamunotri Glacier on Western Slopes of Banderpunch range
- Which tributary of river Ganga rises in Nepal between the Dhaulagiri and Mount Everest?
- At what point does the Ganga and the Son meet?
Ans. Sonpur near Patna
- Which glacier is the origin of the river Ghaghara?
- Name the two streams of the river Gandak.
Ans. Kaligandak and Trishul Ganga
- Mention the three tributaries of the river Ghaghara.
Ans. Tila, Seti and Beri
- Which is the mainstream of the river Kosi? And mention it’s the origin.
Ans. Arun; North of Mount Everest in Tibet
- Which river joins the Ganga near Kannauj in Uttar Pradesh?
- Which river is called as the ‘Sorrow of Bengal’?
- Name the main tributary of the river Damodar.
- Which river flows through a rift valley and joins Hugly?
- Which river is known as Goriganga and where does it originate?
Ans. Sarda/Saryu river; Milam glacier in the Nepal Himalayas
- From where does the river Mahananda originate?
Ans. Darjiling Hills
- From where does the river Son originate?
Ans. Amarkantak Plateau
- River Brahmaputra is known by which name in Tibet region?
- At which of the following point the Brahmaputra takes U-turn and enters into India?
Ans. Namcha Barua
- Name any two left bank tributaries of the river Brahmaputra.
Ans. Dibang or Sikang and Lohit
- Mention some right bank tributaries of the river Brahmaputra.
Ans. Subansiri, Kameng, Manas and Sankosh
- At which place river Brahmaputra enters into Bangladesh?
- In Bangladesh, which river joins river Brahmaputra on its right bank from where the river came to be known as the Jamuna?
- Which are the two major west flowing rivers of India?
Ans. Narmada and Tapi
- Where is the mouth of the river Mahanadi located?
Ans. Sihawa in Raipur district
- Mahanadi river flow throw which of the following two states of India?
Ans. Chhattisgarh and Odisha
- Which river is the largest Peninsular river system?
- Which river is called as the Dakshin Ganga?
- Mention some principle tributaries of river Godavari?
Ans. Penganga, Indravati, Pranhita, and Manjra
- From where does river Krishna originate?
Ans. Mahabaleshwar in Sahyadri
- Which are the major tributaries of river Krishna?
Ans. Koyna, Tungabhadra and Bhima
- What is the rising place of river Kaveri?
Ans. Brahmagiri hills (1,341m) of Kogadu district in Karnataka
- Dhuandhar waterfall is located on which of the following river?
- On which river Sardar Sarovar Project has been built?
- Which river is the largest river system of Rajasthan?
- Mandovi and Juari rivers are situated in which state of India?
- Which is the longest river in Kerala?
Check other links also: