1. Pallathuruthy Boat Club wins 68th edition of Nehru Trophy Boat Race
- Pallathuruthy boat club has won the 68th edition of Nehru Trophy for a boat race, was organised on Punnamada lake, Alappuzha district of Kerala.
- 'Mahadevikkadu Kattil Thekkethil’ by Pallathuruthy boat club won the trophy.
- While NCDC Boat club’s ‘Nadubhagam’ of Kumarakam has secured the second place in the race.
- The boat of Pallathuruthy boat club has won the title by clearing the distance of 1.15 km in 4.30.77 minutes.
- This is the third time that Pallathuruthy won trophy.
2. APEDA and Manipur organize in-store export promotion show for pineapples
- The Agricultural & Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has organized an in-store export promotion programme of Manipur’s pineapples in Dubai, UAE.
- Aim: To promote locally produced agricultural products in the international markets.
- Manipur Organic Mission Agency (MOMA) has supported the sourcing of organic certified Kwe variety of pineapples.
- Top five importing countries of Indian pineapples: UAE, Nepal, Qatar, Maldives, USA
Summits & Conferences
3. Home Minister, Amit Shah inaugurated the 6th All India Prison Duty Meet
- Union Home Minister, Amit Shah has inaugurated 6th All India Prison Duty Meet in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- It is a biennial event, organised by the Bureau of Police Research and Development.
- The event was attended by Gujarat Chief Minister, Bhupendra Patel and Minister of State for Home, Harsh Sanghavi.
- AIPDM was last organised in Ahmedabad in 2007, It was the second ever meeting
- He has also participated in the closing ceremony of 11th Khel Mahakumbh at TransStadia, Kankaria
4. Former Tata Sons chairman, Cyrus Mistry passes away
- Former chairman of Tata Sons and scion of the Shapoorji Pallonji group, Cyrus Mistry (54) has been passed away in a car accident.
- He had served as the chairman of the Tata group in 2012, he succeeded Ratan Tata.
- He was the sixth chairman of the Tata group and second chairman who did not have the Tata surname.
- He joined the Tata Sons board as a director in 2006.
- The Mistry family owns an 18.4% stake in Tata Sons, while the Tata Trusts own a 66% stake in the company.
Banking & Finance
5. India’s forex reserves decline by $3 billion to $561 billion
- As per the official data of RBI, India's foreign exchange (forex) reserves has been declined to $561 billion in the week ending August 26, 2022.
- India's FER has declined sharply in recent months as the RBI continues to intervene in the currency markets to defend the rupee.
- The value of gold reserves also fall down by $271 million to $39.643 billion during the week ended August 26.
- The value of India’s SDRs with IMF has also declined by $155 million to $17.832 billion.
6. Karnataka govt launches global startup challenge
- The Karnataka government has launched a Global Startup Challenge named VentuRISE.
- Aim: To support growth stage startups in manufacturing and sustainability-related sectors.
- VentuRISE, it will be a part of the Global Investors Meet - Invest Karnataka 2022 that will be held from 2 - 4 November in Bengaluru.
- Cash prize: $ 100,000
- The global challenge will help entrepreneurs to showcase their innovative products or solutions and connect with potential investors.
7. BEL, Smiths Detection India sign MoU to manufacture scanning systems
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) has signed an MoU with Smiths Detection for offering advanced, high-energy scanning systems to the Indian market.
- The MoU will leverage the high-end, technological capabilities of both the firms to meet India’s domestic security needs.
- The MoU was signed in line with the Indian Government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- About BEL
- HQ: Bengaluru
- Founded: 1954
- Chairman and MD: Anandi Ramalingam
- It has been granted Navratna status.
Banking & Finance
8. Sebi restructured panel on cyber security
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India has restructured its panel on cyber security that recommends measures to safeguard the capital markets from such attacks.
- The committee will be chaired by Navin Kumar Singh, DG at National Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Centre (NCIIPC)
- Earlier, The committee had only four members but now it has six members.
- Other members: Sanjay Bahl, H Krishnamurthy, Sandeep Shukla and Debdeep Mukhopadhyay, Sugata Gangopadhyay
9. Union Minister Nitin Gadkari unveils India's first LNG-fuelled green truck
- Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated India’s first Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) fuelled green truck in Chakan near Pune.
- It was manufactured by the Blue Energy Motors, a start-up backed by a Singapore-based firm.
- The trucks are powered by Iveco FPT, global powertrain brand of Iveco Group.
- The engines of truck generate high torque and help trucks deliver best in class TCO (total cost of ownership).
Banking & Finance
10. RBI launches pilot project to digitise Kisan Credit Card
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has launched a pilot project for end-to-end digitization of Kisan Credit Card (KCC) lending.
- The pilot has been developed by the central bank and its subsidiary Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH).
- Objective: To make it more efficient and reduce costs for borrowers.
- States for pilot project: Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu with Union Bank of India and Federal Bank, respectively
- KCC scheme was introduced in 1998.