National & International Appointments
1. Indian-origin Laxman Narasimhan appointed as CEO of Starbucks
- Starbucks has appointed Laxman Narasimhan as the next chief executive officer and a member of the Starbucks Board of Directors.
- He will work closely with the interim CEO, Howard Schultz, before taking charge as CEO role.
- Howard Schultz will continue as interim CEO until April 1, 2023.
- Prior to this, he served as global chief commercial officer at PepsiCo; worked as a senior partner at the consulting firm McKinsey & Company; served as CEO in Reckitt.
2. Rajasthan govt launches ‘Mahila Nidhi’ to support women entrepreneurs
- Rajasthan Chief Minister, Ashok Gehlot has launched loan scheme ‘Mahila Nidhi’ with an aim to ensure easy loans for women in business.
- The scheme also aims the social and economic development of women through credit.
- CM Ashok Gehlot has announced in the budget 2022-23 about the ‘Mahila Nidhi’ scheme through Rajasthan Rural Livelihood Development Council.
- The scheme will disburse loans of up to Rs 40,000 within 48 hours, and above Rs 40,000 within 15 days.
3. NZ cricketer, Colin de Grandhomme retires from international cricket
- New Zealand all-rounder, Colin de Grandhomme has announced his retirement from international cricket.
- He has played 29 Test matches scoring 1432 runs at 38.70, including centuries against the West Indies and South Africa.
- His best score was 120 not out.
- He has also registered 49 wickets in the format at an average of 32.95, including six for 41 on debut against Pakistan.
- He has played 45 ODIs and 41 T20Is for New Zealand.
4. India's unemployment rate increases to 1-year high of 8.3% in August
- As per the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy data, the unemployment rate of India has been surged to a one-year high of 8.3% in August 2022, as employment sequentially fell by 2 million to 394.6 million.
- In August, the urban unemployment rate has been increased to 9.6% and rural unemployment rate also increased to 7.7%.
- In July 2022, the unemployment rate was at 6.8% and the employment was 397 million.
- In August, the unemployment was the highest in Haryana (37.3%).
5. Air traffic of India may surge annually by average 7% till 2040
- As per the Boeing report, the air traffic of India will grow by an average of 7% per year till 2040 even as the country’s carriers face challenges like high fuel prices, rupee depreciation and low fares.
- While the air traffic of India will grow 6.9% till 2040, the south-east Asian market will grow at an average annual rate of 5.5%.
- The Chinese, African and the Latin American market will grow at an average annual rate of 5.4%, 5.4% and 4.8% respectively, till 2040.
Banking & Finance
6. Services exports rise 20.2% to $23.26 billion in July 2022: RBI data
- As per the Reserve Bank India data, the services exports of India has been increased by 20.2% year-on-year to $23.26 billion in July 2022.
- However, the July exports were lower than June by $25.29 billion in 2022.
- As per the monthly data on India's international trade in services for July 2022, the imports surged by 22.3% to $13.92 billion in July.
- The exports during April-July 2022-23 stood at $94.75 billion, and the imports totalled $58.94 billion during the period.
Banking & Finance
7. GST collection in August was ₹1.43 lakh crore
- According to Finance Ministry data, the government has collected ₹1,43,612 crore as the gross GST revenue in the month of August 2022.
- CGST is ₹ 24,710 crore, SGST is ₹ 30,951 crore, IGST is ₹ 77,782 crore.
- It includes ₹ 42,067 crore collected on import of goods and cess is ₹ 10,168 crore (including ₹ 1,018 crore collected on import of goods).
- The revenues for the month of August 2022 are 28% higher than the GST revenues in the same month in 2021 of ₹ 1,12,020 crore.
8. World Coconut Day 2022: 2nd September
- World Coconut Day is observed annually on September 2 to highlight the significance of coconut in our daily lives and how beneficial are they for health.
- Theme 2022: Growing coconut for a better future and life
- The event started on September 2, 2009, by the Asia Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) to raise awareness and the significance of coconuts and their impact on society.
- Top exporters of coconuts: Indonesia, India, Philippines, Brazil and Sri Lanka
Banking & Finance
9. SBI Card launches cashback card
- SBICard has launched ‘CASHBACK SBI Card’, a cashback focused credit card, to boost the online transactions.
- Consumers across country, including tier-2 and 3 cities, can apply for the card on the digital application platform ‘SBI Card SPRINT’.
- CASHBACK SBI Card customers will earn unlimited 1% cashback on all spends, cashback will increase to 5% on all online spends up to maximum of ₹ 10,000 per monthly statement cycle.
- MD & CEO, SBI Card: Rama Mohan Rao Amara
Banking & Finance
10. Muthoot FinCorp, IME India joins hands for money transfer service to Nepal
- Muthoot FinCorp has partnered with IME India Pvt Ltd to expand its money remittance services between Indo-Nepal corridor.
- Muthoot has been assisting the Nepali community in India in remitting money through their existing partner (Prabhu Money Transfer Pvt Ltd).
- Now, Muthoot will be able to serve a larger mass of Nepalese diaspora living in India.
- IDFC First Bank, India and Global IME Bank Ltd., Nepal are the banking partners to facilitate Indo-Nepal remittance service.
11. India’s first indigenously developed vaccine for cervical cancer
- Union Minister of Science and Technology Jitendra Singh has launched India’s first indigenously developed quadrivalent Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccine for the prevention of cervical cancer.
- Vaccine name: CERVAVAC
- DCGI had granted market authorisation to Serum Institute of India to manufacture an indigenously-developed vaccine against cervical cancer.
- Cervical cancer in India ranks as the second most frequent cancer among women between 15 and 44 years of age.
12. Tejas Mark-2 Project approved by Cabinet Committee on Security
- The Cabinet Committee on Security has approved Tejas Mark-2 Project and sanctioned 6,500 crore rupees for designing and developing of Tejas Mark-2 fighter jet with prototypes, flight testing, and certification.
- The allocation comes in addition to the existing 2500 crore rupees sanctioned to HAL.
- Tejas 2.0 will be equipped with more powerful GE- F414 engines in the 98 Kilonewton thrust class and carry additional payload and weapons as compared to the existing version.
13. AICTE partnered with Adobe to advance digital literacy in India
- The All-India Council for Technical Education has partnered with Adobe to accelerate digital creativity skills across the country.
- As per the agreement, Adobe will offer courses and expertise for upskilling educators, and integrate digital creativity into the curriculum, to prepare students with the essential creative and digital literacy skills.
- Aim: To empower educators across higher education institutions with essential digital creativity skills by 2024.
14. Meghalaya CM launches 'Rural Backyard Piggery Scheme' for farmers' welfare
- Meghalaya CM, Conrad K Sangma has launched "Rural Backyard Piggery Scheme" with an aim to ensure that the farmers earn a sustainable livelihood through different livestock farming activities.
- Under the phase 1 of this Scheme, the govt has earmarked Rs 15.18 crore under which four high-yielding improved varieties will be distributed to 6000 families.
- The additional Rs 25 crore will be earmarked to roll out the second phase of the programme.