1. PM Modi inaugurated 44th Chess Olympiad in Chennai
- PM Modi has inaugurated the FIDE 44th Chess Olympiad in Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- The ceremony was attended by Tamil Nadu CM, MK Stalin, five-time chess champion Viswanathan Anand and several others.
- The competition is being hosted in India for the first time and in Asia after 30 years.
- A total of 343 teams from 187 countries are participating in the event.
- Chess Olympiad mascot: ‘Thambi’ (Chess Knight)
- Anthem: Vanakkam Chennai
Banking & Finance
2. Singapore emerges as top country for FDI equity inflows into India
- Singapore (27.01%) and USA (17.94%) have emerged as top sourcing countries in FDI equity flows into India in FY2021-22.
- Mauritius (15.98%) has been ranked third followed by Netherland (7.86%) and Switzerland (7.31%).
- Top 5 sectors: Computer Software & Hardware (24.60%), Services Sector, Automobile Industry, Trading and Construction (Infrastructure) Activities.
- Top 5 States: Karnataka (37.55%), Maharashtra (26.26%), Delhi (13.93%), Tamil Nadu, and Haryana
3. Union Minister of Agriculture launches 11th Agriculture Census
- The Union Minister for Agriculture, Narendra Singh Tomar has launched the 11th Agricultural Census (2021-22) with an aim to provide information on a variety of agricultural parameters at a relatively minute level.
- Agriculture Census is conducted every 5 years, but it was delayed due to corona pandemic.
- He has released the Handbook on Operational Guidelines for Census for the use of States/UTs, and launched the Data Collection Portal/App.
4. Ministry of Defence iDEX-DIO signs its 100th innovation contract
- iDEX (Innovations for Defence Excellence) has signed its 100th contract with Pacify Medical Technologies Pvt Ltd in New Delhi.
- It was launched in 2018 by the PM Narendra Modi, and promoted as the flagship for technological innovation of the Ministry of Defence.
- Purpose of iDEX: To encourage start-ups and provide them a platform for co-creation and co-development in defence and aerospace technology.
- It is funded and managed by the “Defence Innovation Organization.
5. First Indigenous Aircraft Carrier INS Vikrant handed over to Indian Navy
- The Cochin Shipyard has handed over the first indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant to the Navy.
- It was designed by the Navy’s in-house Directorate of Naval Design.
- It was named after INS Vikrant which played a vital role in the 1971 war (Decommissioned in 1997).
- The aircraft carrier is 262-meter-long and has a full displacement of close to 45,000 tonnes.
- It is powered by four Gas Turbines totalling 88 MW power.
- It has a maximum speed of 28 Knots.
6. International Tiger Day 2022: 29 July
- International Tiger Day is observed every year on July 29 to raise awareness about the importance of the conservation of tigers.
- As per World Wildlife Fund, approximately 95% of the population of tigers has declined in the last 150 years.
- Theme 2022: “India launches Project Tiger to revive the tiger population”
- 2,967 tigers have been recorded in India, as per the fourth round of the national assessment of tiger numbers done in 2018.
7. PM Modi launches India’s first global gold exchange in Gujarat
- PM Modi inaugurates India’s first global gold exchange in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City.
- Aim: To create a regional bullion hub, that allow more jewelers to import the precious metal.
- PM Modi also launch NSE IFSC-SGX Connect platform, with the help of this system, all orders on Nifty derivatives placed by members of Singapore Exchange Limited (SGX) will be routed to and matched on the NSE-IFSC order matching and trading platform.
8. ReNew signs pact with Egypt govt to set up green hydrogen plant
- ReNew Power has signed an agreement with the Egyptian government to invest as much as $8 billion to produce green hydrogen manufacturing facility at the Suez Canal Economic Zone in Egypt.
- ReNew will produce 220,000 tonnes of the clean fuel annually in Egypt in the coming years.
- ReNew is supported by investors including Goldman Sachs Group Inc and Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.
- Renew Power Chairman: Sumant Sinha; Headquarters: Gurugram
9. Gujarat becomes first state to launch semiconductor policy in India
- Gujarat has become the first state to launch a Semiconductor Policy 2022-27, with an aim to boost manufacturing of semiconductors in the state.
- The policy also offers incentives and subsidies to manufacture semiconductors.
- The state government has also set up Gujarat State Electronics Mission, as the nodal agency for the policy implementation.
- The eligible projects will be given 75% subsidy on purchase of the first 200 acre land for setting up manufacturing units.
10. Eminent Assamese Writer, Atulananda Goswami passes away
- Writer of 'Namghoria', Atulananda Goswami (Sahitya Akademi winner), known for his novels and short stories has been passed away at 87.
- He had also received the Sahitya Akademi Award in 2006 for his short story collection 'Seneh Jarir Ganthi'.
- Awards: Ambikagiri Roy Choudhury Sahitya Award, the Kumar Kishor Memorial Award, the Katha Award and the Sneha Bharati Sahitya Samman, among other honours.
- He also translated many English, Bengali and Odia texts into Assamese.
Honours & Awards
11. DSF institutes Dinesh Shahra Lifetime Award for Excellence in Music
- Dinesh Shahra Foundation (DSF) has instituted a first-of-its-kind ‘Dinesh Shahra Lifetime Award’ for Excellence in Music.
- The initiative is supported by the Indian Arts & Cultural Society.
- The Announcement of was made by Dinesh Shahra, Trustee of DSF, during a cultural event titled “Mausiqui’ in Mumbai recently.
- The recognition will include trophy and also a significant cash component.
Science & Technology
12. Isro earns $279 million in foreign exchange through satellite launches
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has earned 279 million dollars in foreign exchange by launching satellites for global clients.
- ISRO in association with its commercial arms has successfully launched 345 foreign satellites from 34 countries on-board Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- The PSLV mission (latest) was on June 30 when ISRO has launched three Singaporean satellites into orbit.
13. HAL signs contract with Honeywell for HTT-40 engine
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has signed a contract worth over $100 million with Honeywell.
- Aim: For the supply and manufacture of 88 TPE331-12B engines/kits along with the maintenance and support services to power the Hindustan Trainer Aircraft (HTT-40).
- The TPE331-12B engine is a single shaft turboprop engine with integral inlet and gearbox, two stage centrifugal compressor, power turbine, gearbox, three stage axial turbine and turbine exhaust diffuser.