1. Rudrankksh Patil wins gold in men’s 10m air rifle in ISSF World Cup 2023
- Indian shooter, Rudrankksh Patil clinched his first World Cup individual gold in the men’s 10m air rifle event at the ISSF World Cup in Cairo, Egypt.
- He defeated Maximilian Ulbrich of Germany, who was settled for silver.
- While Miran Maricic of Croatia won the bronze medal.
- In women’s 10m air rifle, Tilottama Sen (14) won the second bronze for India.
- Seonaid Mcintosh (Great Britain) won gold and Nina Christen (Switzerland) settled for silver.
Honours & Awards
2. Pt Prem Kumar Mallick bags for the Sangeet natak Akademi Award 2019
- Noted classical singer, Pt Prem Kumar Mallick has been selected for the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards for 2019.
- Reason: Contributions in the field of music (Hindustani Vocal).
- He is a professor in the department of music and performing arts at Allahabad University.
- He will receive this award along with other artists from across the country for the award for years 2019, 2020, and 2021.
- President Droupadi Murmu will present the award on February 23.
3. World Thinking Day 2023: 22nd February
- The World Organization of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) has observed World Thinking Day every year on 22nd February.
- Theme 2023: Our Planet, Our Peaceful Future
- Aim: To create awareness about issues that affect girls and young women
- This day also aims to celebrate sisterhood, solidarity, and women’s empowerment.
- In 1999, at the World Conference in Dublin, the name of the day was changed from Thinking Day to World Thinking Day.
Banking & Finance
4. Central Bank of India, Moneywise Financial Services tie up for MSME loans
- Central Bank of India and Moneywise Financial Services Pvt Ltd (MFSPL) signed a co-lending agreement for lending to micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs).
- This partnership will help to expand the portfolio for both entities.
- The said loans would be subject to compliance with the applicable laws and guidelines issued by RBI.
- MFSPL is an RBI-regulated non-banking financial company (NBFC) focused on MSME Lending.
- Central Bank of India CEO: M. V. Rao
5. BEL inks MoU with ADA for advanced medium combat aircraft programme
- Navratna PSU, Bharat Electronics (BEL) has signed an MoU with Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), DRDO and Cisco.
- BEL & ADA agreement: For the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) programme
- BEL & Cisco: For long-term strategic cooperation in the areas of networking, collaboration, and security among other associated services
- Aim: To leverage the complementary strengths and capabilities
- These MoUs were signed during the Aero India 2023 in Bengaluru.
Banking & Finance
6. SEBI proposes more power to shareholders with changes to governance norms
- The SEBI has proposed that the listed entities should take approval from shareholders at least once in 5 years for the appointment of directors to serve on their boards.
- Reason: To curb the practice of occupying permanent directorship in a company
- SEBI also proposed norms, related to special rights granted to certain shareholders; sale, disposal, or lease of assets of a listed entity outside the ‘scheme of arrangement’ framework and on agreements binding listed entities
Books & Authors
7. Tamil Nadu Governor R.N. Ravi released two books
- Tamil Nadu Governor R.N. Ravi released two books — Pt. Deendayal Udadhyaya: Dispersions of Thought and Pt. Deendayal Udpadhyaya: Integral Humanism in Chennai.
- The book was authored by Professor B. Dharmalingam.
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya was an Indian politician and a proponent of integral humanism ideology.
- He also started the monthly publication Rashtra Dharma (National Duty).
- He also served as the 10th President of Bharatiya Jana Sangh (1967 – 1968).
Summits & Conferences
8. 18th UIC World Security Congress organized by Railway Protection Force
- The 18th UIC World Security Congress has been started commenced in Jaipur, India on 21st February 2023.
- The 3-day Conference is being jointly organized by the International Union of Railways, Paris and Railway Protection Force.
- Theme 2023: Railway Security Strategy: Responses and Vision for Future
- The World Security Congress is a globally recognized security platform.
- The Union International Des Chemins (UIC) or International Union of Railways was established in 1922.
9. Tata Group becomes the title sponsor for WPL
- BCCI secretary, Jay Shah has informed that the TATA Group has bagged the title rights for the Women's Premier League (WPL) 2023.
- The first match of WPL 2023 will begin between Gujarat Giants and Mumbai Indians on March 4 at the DY Patil Stadium.
- In its first season, the WPL will stage a total of 20 league matches and two Playoff games that will be played.
- Five teams: Delhi Capitals, Gujarat Giants, Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore & UP Warriorz
10. IIT Roorkee, IAF join hands to develop indigenous defence technologies
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IIT Roorkee) has signed an MoU with the Indian Air Force (IAF) to promote the development of indigenous technologies.
- They also aim to develop equipment through Research and Development in areas of mutual interest.
- The MoU was signed at Bengaluru during Aero India 2023.
- The IIT Roorkee will provide its expertise and cooperation in research for feasibility studies and prototype development.
Honours & Awards
11. Karthik Subramaniam wins National Geographic 'Pictures Of The Year'
- An Indian-origin, Karthik Subramaniam has won the prestigious National Geographic ‘Pictures of The Year’ award with his photograph titled “Dance of the Eagles”.
- The award-winning photograph captured a bald eagle intimidating its peers to claim a prime log while salmon hunting in the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve in Alaska.
- He titled the picture 'Dance of the Eagles' as a homage to the fictional dragon war in George R.R. Martin’s novel ‘A Dance with Dragons’.
Banking & Finance
12. Ind-Ra projects India's FY24 growth at 5.9%
- Credit rating and research agency, India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) projected the growth of the Indian economy to 5.9% year on year during 2023-24.
- The GDP growth estimate of the agency is lower than the 6.4% real GDP growth projected by the RBI for FY24.
- According to the agency, there are fault lines in the economic recovery that is happening in the Private final consumption expenditure, Government Final Consumption Expenditure, and net exports
13. Minister of Power, RK Singh inaugurates 15th edition of ELECRAMA 2023
- The Union Minister of Power, RK Singh has officially inaugurated the Power Pavilion, ELECRAMA 2023 at the India Expo Mart, Greater Noida.
- The event was attended by Vivek Kumar Dewangan (Chairman & Managing Director, REC Limited) and other officials from REC.
- Theme 2023: Re-imagining the Future: Metamorphosis of the Power Sector in India.
- Vision: To showcase innovation in the power sector such as Smart Meters, Smart Feeder Management Systems, Methanol production etc
Commentswrite a comment