Honours & Awards
1. Gujarati film 'Chhello Show' becomes India’s official entry for Oscars 2023
- Gujarati Film, Chhello Show (Last Film Show) has been selected as the India’s submission to the Best International Feature Film category at the 95th Academy Awards.
- This movie was directed by Pan Nalin.
- This movie was honoured the Golden Spike at the 66th Valladolid International Film Festival in 2021.
- This movie was premiered at Tribeca Film Festival in 2021.
- The film was also nominated for Tiantan Awards at 11th Beijing International Film Festival.
2. AIBD extended India’s Presidency for one more year
- India’s Presidency of Asia-pacific Institute of Broadcasting Development (AIBD) has been extended for one more year.
- The decision was taken unanimously by the AIBD member countries at the two-day General Conference held in New Delhi.
- Currently, CEO of Prasar Bharati and DG of Doordarshan, Mayank Kumar Agrawal is the President of AIBD.
- The conference was inaugurated by Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Singh Thakur.
- AIBD was established in 1977.
Banking & Finance
3. RBI take out Central Bank of India from PCA restrictions
- RBI has decided to remove the Central Bank of India from its Prompt Corrective Action Framework (PCAF).
- Reason: Improvement in various financial ratios, including minimum regulatory capital
- PCA norms: It is a supervisory tool and is imposed on banks, when they breach certain regulatory thresholds on capital to risk weighted assets ratio, net NPAs, and return on assets.
- The RBI imposed PCA norms on the bank in June 2017 due to its high net NPA and negative RoA.
4. World Alzheimer’s Day 2022: 21st September
- World Alzheimer's Day is observed every year on September 21 to raise awareness about neurological disorders.
- The theme 2022: know dementia, know Alzheimer's.
- Alzheimer's disease: It is the most common form of dementia. It destroys the brain cells which causes memory loss, memory changes, erratic behaviour, and loss of body functions.
- This day was first marked on 21 September 1994.
- The month is being observed by Alzheimer’s Disease International.
5. Comedian, Raju Srivastava passes away
- Comedian, Raju Srivastava has been passed away at 58 due to heart attack in AIIMS, New Delhi.
- He was the chairman of the Film Development Council Uttar Pradesh.
- He got fame after participating in the first season of the reality stand-up comedy show "The Great Indian Laughter Challenge" in 2005.
- He played supporting roles in Hindi films such as Maine Pyar Kiya, Baazigar, the remake of Bombay to Goa and Aamdani Atthani Kharcha Rupaiya.
Science & Technology
6. 36 OneWeb satellites reach at Satish Dhawan Space Centre
- The 36 satellites of OneWeb, the Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite communications company has been arrived at Satish Dhawan Space Centre ahead of a planned launch from Sriharikota.
- The satellites will be launched by the heaviest ISRO rocket, the GSLV-MkIII.
- OneWeb has partnered with NewSpace India Limited (NSIL) to facilitate the launch.
- NSIL is the commercial arm of national space agency Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- Chairman and MD, NSIL: Radhakrishnan D
7. Odisha to invest Rs 261 crore in livelihood action plan
- The Odisha government has approved Rs 261 crore for regeneration of coastal ecosystem and to enhance climate resilience among people living on the coast.
- The government has decided to implement this livelihood action plan from the current year till 2026-27.
- The main coastal landscapes to be treated under the project and would include areas like Bhitarkanika in Kendrapara district, Bahuda and Chilika in Ganjam district, and Devi Mouth, Chilika in Puri district.
8. International Day of Peace: 21st September
- The International Day of Peace is observed globally on September 21 to promote ideals of peace among nations and people by observing non-violence and ceasefire for 24 hours.
- Theme for the International Day of Peace 2022 is “End racism. Build peace.”
- The day was established in 1981 by the United Nations General Assembly.
- The General Assembly unanimously in 2001 voted to designate the day as a period of non-violence and cease-fire.
Banking & Finance
9. World Bank approves $150 million loan to Punjab
- Punjab government has received a loan of $150 million (approx Rs 1,200 crore) from the World Bank to help the state better manage its financial resources and improve access to public services.
- Punjab at present has a debt of Rs 2.63 lakh crore.
- The $150 million loan has a maturity of 15 years including a grace period of 6 months.
- Punjab government will launch new projects with World Bank's assistance to attain its development goals.
- Punjab CM: Bhagwant Mann
National & International Organizations
10. SBI Foundation, WWF India join hands for Red Panda conservation
- SBI Foundation and WWF India have partnered to generate fine-scale information on Red Panda species at a transboundary level and engage with communities in safeguarding them in the Khangchendzonga landscape of Sikkim and West Bengal.
- The event was organised at the Himalayan Zoological Park in Gangtok.
- International Red Panda Day is celebrated every year on the third Saturday of September to support Red Panda conservation.
- SBI Foundation is the CSR arm of SBI.
11. Russian cosmonaut, Valery Polyakov passes away
- Russian cosmonaut, Vladimirovich Polyakov, who holds the record for the longest single stay in space, has been passed away at 80.
- He flew his first mission into space in 1988 and returning in 1989 after eight months.
- He had lived and worked in space for a record 437 days in one stint, orbiting Earth aboard the Mir space station more than 7,000 times between January 8, 1994 and March 22, 1995.
- He undertook two space expeditions during his career(678 days and 16 hours).
Banking & Finance
12. CCI approves merger of Jio Cinema OTT with Viacom18 Media
- CCI has approved the proposed merger of Jio Cinema OTT with Viacom18 Media.
- Under this, Jio Cinema OTT app of Reliance will be transferred to Viacom18.
- In April 2022, RIL and Viacom18 have announced a strategic partnership with Bodhi Tree Systems (BTS).
- BTS will invest Rs 13,500 crore in Viacom18 while Reliance Projects & Property Management Services will invest Rs 1,645 crore in the broadcaster.
- BTS is an investment firm of Uday Shankar (ex-chairman of Star).
13. Adani group becomes India's most valued conglomerate
- The Adani group has overtaken the Tata-led conglomerate with an overall market capitalisation of Adani on the BSE at over ₹ 22 lakh crore makes it the most valued in India.
- The combined consolidated revenues and net profit of listed companies of Tata Group were Rs 8.6 trillion and Rs 74,523 crore in FY22 respectively.
- Mukesh Ambani's group of nine companies stood third on the list with a market capitalisation of more than ₹ 17 lakh crore.