Honours & Awards
1. Kerala govt selected M T Vasudevan Nair for first ‘Kerala Jyothi’ award
- M T Vasudevan Nair (Malayalam literary) has been selected for the Kerala governemnt for its first ‘Kerala Jyothi’ award.
- It was instituted by the Kerala govt on the lines of the Padma awards.
- Aim: To honour individuals who have made priceless contributions to the society.
- Kerala Prabha: Omcheri N N Pillai and T Madhava Menon
- Kerala Sree: Sathyabhama Das Biju, Gopinath Muthukad, Kanayi Kunhiraman, Kochouseph Chittilappilly, M P Parameswaran and Vijayalakshmi.
Banking & Finance
2. RBI launched Digital Rupee pilot for wholesale segment
- First Digital Rupee pilot project of India has been launched on November 1, 2022, by RBI for the wholesale segment.
- Participated Banks: SBI, BoB, Union Bank of India, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Yes Bank, IDFC First Bank and HSBC
- CBDC can be classified into two types: Retail (CBDC-R) and Wholesale (CBDC-W)
- CBDC-R: It would be potentially available for use by all.
- CBDC-W: It is designed for restricted access to select financial institutions.
3. President Droupadi Murmu inaugurates 'India Water Week'
- President, Droupadi Murmu has inaugurated 7th edition of India's Water Week in Greater Noida on November 1, 2022.
- 2022 theme: “Water Security for Sustainable Development and Equity”
- This event was organised by the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation till the 5th of November.
- Aim: To raise awareness, conserve and use water resources in an integrated manner.
- Partner countries: Denmark, Singapore, and Finland
4. Steel Man of India, J.J. Irani passes away
- Tata Steel veteran, Jamshed J. Irani has been passed away at the age of 86 in Jamshedpur, Tata.
- He was associated with Tata Steel for 43 years and retired from the board of Tata Steel in June 2011.
- He served as the National President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for 1992-93.
- He was conferred the Padma Bhushan in 2007 for his contribution to the industry; and International Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 1996.
Honours & Awards
5. ‘Union Home Minister’s Special Operation Medal’ conferred to 63 officers
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has conferred the ‘Union Home Minister’s Special Operation Medal 2022’ to 63 officers for four special operations.
- The special operations was conducted by the security and police forces.
- 63 officers from Punjab (16), Telangana Police (13), Delhi (19), Jammu and Kashmir (4) and Maharashtra (11) have been named for this award.
- The medals were awarded at the ‘Run For Unity’ event to mark the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
6. CBDT launched HARIT Aaykar initiative
- The Income Tax Department has launched the HARIT Aaykar initiative on the occasion of National Unity Day (31st October).
- HARIT refers to Hariyali Achievement Resolution by Income Tax.
- Aim: To increase greenery and create micro forests.
- Under this initiative, the Department resolves to increase the green cover by planting trees and creating micro-forests in and around IT Department's buildings and other public areas.
- Chairman, CBDT: Nitin Gupta
7. Red Bull's Max Verstappen wins F1 Mexican GP 2022
- Red Bull driver, Max Verstappen has claimed a record 14th victory of the F1 season after securing the 2022 Mexico GP title.
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) has finished the race at second, while Red Bull's Sergio Perez finished third.
- George Russell finished at fourth for Mercedes.
- C Sainz and C Leclerc of Ferraris placed fifth and sixth respectively.
- Max has broken the record that was held by Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel for the most wins in a single season.
8. Reliance, MFA partner to promote sports in Mizoram
- The Mizoram Football Foundation (MFA) has tied up with Reliance Foundation to promote football at the grassroot level in the state.
- RFYC academy will provide training support to the young footballers.
- As a part of this partnership, Naupang (Children) League will be introduced in Mizoram.
- Aim of League: To develop local ecosystems and enable aspiring and talented footballers as young as 5-year-olds (both boys and girls).
- The league will be hosted in four locations.
National & International Appointments
9. Jay Y. Lee appointed as executive chairman of Samsung Electronics
- The Board of Directors of Samsung Electronics have approved the appointment of Jay Y Lee as executive chairman of the company.
- This appointment was recommended by Independent Director and Board Chairman, Han-Jo Kim.
- He takes over a position previously held by his father, Lee Kun-hee.
- Samsung Electronics is a South Korean multinational electronics corporation headquartered in Yeongtong-gu, Suwon, South Korea.
10. Australia joins Indo-Pacific drill with Indian Navy
- Royal Australian Navy has sent ships HMAS Adelaide and Anzac for Exercise ‘Indo-Pacific Endeavour’ conducted by Indian Navy in Visakhapatnam, from October 30 - November 2, 2022.
- Meanwhile, the Indian Navy hold the Commanders Conference in New Delhi which was addressed by Rajnath Singh.
- IPE 2022 will see engagements with the Maldives, Timor-Leste, Vietnam, the Philippines, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Laos, Cambodia, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and Indonesia
11. UGC declares to observe ‘Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav’ on Dec 11
- The University Grants Commission has declared that December 11 will observe as a ‘Bharatiya Bhasha Divas’ every year.
- Aim: To create language harmony and develop a conducive environment for learning Indian languages.
- The committee has selected December 11 as Bharatiya Bhasha Divas to mark the birth anniversary of poet Subramania Bharati, who was a pioneer of modern Tamil poetry.
- UGC Founded: 1956; Headquarters: New Delhi; Chairperson: D. P. Singh
Banking & Finance
12. India's April-September fiscal deficit of FY23 touches 37.3%
- The fiscal deficit of central government from April-September 2022 has touched the 37.3% of the full-year target.
- The fiscal deficit was 35% of BE in last fiscal.
- In absolute terms, the fiscal deficit was Rs 6,19,849 crore during the period.
- The total receipts of govt stood at Rs 12.03 lakh crore or 52.7% of BE for 2022-23.
- The total expenditure was Rs 18.23 lakh crore or 46.2% of the BE 2022-23.
- Fiscal deficit is the difference between expenditure and revenue.
Banking & Finance
13. RBI imposes Rs 1.76 crore on Vakrangee for violating norms
- The Reserve Bank has imposed fine of Rs 1.76 crore on Vakrangee, for violating various norms.
- Reason: Non-compliance with certain provisions of the White Label ATM (WLA) directions.
- Fine on various entities:
- Jammu and Kashmir State Co-operative Bank Ltd: Rs 30 lakh
- The Pratap Co-operative Ltd (Mumbai-based): Rs 6 lakh
- LIC Housing Finance and The Mysore Merchants Co-operative Bank Ltd: Rs 5 lakh
- The Nagar Sahakari Bank Ltd, Maharajganj, Uttar Pradesh: Rs 4 lakh