National & International Appointments
1. Rajesh Malhotra appointed as Principal DG of PIB
- Rajesh Malhotra, a 1989-batch IIS officer, has been appointed as the Principal Director General of the Press Information Bureau (PIB), with effect from March 1, 2023.
- He succeeded Satyendra Prakash, who was superannuated on February 28, 2023.
- He was associated with the ECI as in-charge of media and communication for 21 years (1996-2017).
- While Priya Kumar was named the Director General of Doordarshan News (DD News).
- She will succeed Mayank Agrawal.
2. MeitY launched Grievance Appellate Committee
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has launched a digital platform - Grievance Appellate Committee (GAC).
- It was established by Union MoS Electronics and IT, Rajeev Chandrasekhar.
- It is a faceless dispute-resolution mechanism that would make all platforms (big and small) accountable to digital citizens.
- In accordance with the modified IT Regulations, 2021, the IT Ministry announced that three GACs must be established.
3. Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launches VAIBHAV Fellowships
- Union MoS (Independent Charge) Science & Technology, Dr. Jitendra Singh has launched the VAIBHAV Fellowship scheme for the Indian Diaspora abroad.
- Aim: To improve the research ecosystem of India’s Higher Educational Institutions by facilitating academic and research collaborations between Indian Institutions and the best institutions in the world
- Eligible applicant:
- Should be NRI, PIO, or OCI.
- Must have obtained Ph.D/M.D/M.S degree from a recognized University.
4. India and Lithuania agreed to work in the areas of deep tech Start-Ups
- India and Lithuania have agreed to work in the areas of deep tech startups and forge lasting ties in the manufacturing of semiconductor chips.
- Minister Jitendra Singh and Economy and Innovation Vice Minister of Lithuania, Karolis Aemaitis discussed ways and means to revive the 2010 agreement in the area of science and tech.
- In 2010, a revised Indian counter-draft with a few modifications was formally submitted to the Lithuanian and its formal response is still awaited.
5. NSDC, HTMi sign MoU to empower youth for the hospitality & tourism Sector
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has signed two MoUs with HTMi, and Lamrin Tech Skill University.
- NSDC and HTMi: It aims to provide certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas, and certification courses in hospitality trades to aspiring students.
- NSDC, HTMi, and LTSU: LTSU as an implementation partner for the first phase of this partnership, NSDC & HTMi envisage similar such partnerships as the program gets scaled up.
Honours & Awards
6. India wins GSMA Government Leadership Award 2023
- India has been awarded the prestigious GSM Association (GSMA) Government Leadership Award 2023 at Mobile World Congress Barcelona on 27 February 2023.
- Reason: For implementing best practices in telecom policy and regulation
- Minister for Communications, Ashwini Vaishnaw has also informed that the Right of Way (RoW) permissions which used to take more than 230 days, now get approval within 8 days.
- More than 85% of mobile tower clearances are now instantaneous.
7. Purushottam Rupala launched National Surveillance Programme phase 2
- Union Minister for fisheries and animal husbandry, Purushottam Rupala, has launched phase 2 of the National Surveillance programme.
- Reason: For aquatic animal diseases and genetic improvement programme
- Aim: To help the farmers to identify and report the disease and also offer solutions
- The government has allocated 33 Crore rupees for a period of three years for the implementation of the programme.
- The crop insurance scheme for shrimp-growing farmers was also launched.
Science & Technology
8. ISRO successfully conducts flight test of cryogenic engine for Chandrayan-3
- ISRO has successfully conducted the flight acceptance hot test of the CE-20 cryogenic engine for the Chandrayan-3 mission.
- The test was successfully conducted on February 24 at the ISRO Propulsion Complex, Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu.
- The hot test was carried out for a planned duration of 25 seconds at the High Altitude Test Facility.
- The engine will power the Cryogenic Upper Stage of the LVM3 launch vehicle of the mission.
- Chandrayaan-3 is India’s third moon mission.
Banking & Finance
9. India's GDP registers growth of 4.4% in Oct-Dec of the current fiscal
- According to the Union ministry of statistics, India's Gross Domestic Production (GDP) growth has been registered at 4.4% in the October-December third quarter of the current fiscal (2022-23).
- GDP in the third quarter of 2022-23 is estimated at Rs 40.19 lakh crore, as against Rs 38.51 lakh crore in the third quarter of 2021-22.
- The real GDP is estimated to grow at 7% for the current FY compared to 9.1% in 2021-22.
- While Nominal GDP is estimated to grow at 15.9 percent.
Banking & Finance
10. Credit growth of banks accelerates 16.8% in December quarter: RBI
- According to the data released by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the credit growth of Indian banks has doubled to 16.8% in the October-December quarter (2022-23) from a year earlier.
- Bank credit had expanded by 8.4% in the quarter that ended December 2021 and 17.2% in the quarter that ended September 2022.
- The aggregate deposits of banks increased by 10.3% year-on-year in the December quarter.
- Banks' credit-deposit ratio rose further to 75.9% in the December quarter.
Summits & Conferences
11. 8th Edition of Raisina Dialogue to be held on March 2 in New Delhi
- The 8th Edition of the Raisina Dialogue will be organized from 2-4 March 2023 in New Delhi.
- The Dialogue will be inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi and joined by the PM of Italy, Giorgia Meloni as the Chief Guest.
- Theme 2023: Provocation, Uncertainty, Turbulence: Lighthouse in the Tempest
- It is a flagship conference of India on geopolitics and geo-strategy.
- It is organized by the Ministry of External Affairs in collaboration with Observer Research Foundation.
Summits & Conferences
12. First Anti-Corruption G20 Working Group meeting organizes in Gurugram
- The first Anti-Corruption Working Group (ACWG) meeting of the G20 is being organized in Gurugram, Haryana from 1st - 3rd March 2023.
- The ACWG was joined by over 90 delegates from 20 member countries, 10 Invitee countries, and 9 International Organizations.
- Aim: To strengthen International Anti-corruption mechanisms
- G 20 ACWG meetings have one Chair (Presidency country) and one co-chair country.
- The co-chair for the G20 ACWG 2023 is Italy.
13. Kerala temple deploys life-size ‘robotic elephant’ for festival
- A Kerala temple, Irinjadappilly Sree Krishna Temple (Thrissur district), has introduced a life-size motorized model of an elephant for performing rituals such as carrying processional deities.
- The 11-foot-tall robotic elephant, weighing 800 kg and made of an iron frame and rubber coating, was donated by People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India.
- Film actor Parvathy Thiruvothu joined hands with PETA in donating the robotic elephant, which cost 5 lakh rupees.
Commentswrite a comment