National & International Appointments
1. Indian-American Neal Mohan appointed as the new CEO of YouTube
- Indian-American, Neal Mohan has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer of YouTube.
- He will replace the current head, Susan Wojcicki, who will step down after 25 years.
- He joined Google in 2008, and later he was appointed chief product officer at YouTube in 2015.
- Prior to Google, he worked as a Senior Analyst at Accenture and later joined Microsoft.
- He is an MBA from Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business.
2. 4th edition of joint military Exercise Dharma Guardian-2023 begins
- The 4th edition of a joint military exercise, "EX DHARMA GUARDIAN" between India and Japan is being started at Camp Imazu in Shiga province of Japan from 17th February - 2nd March 2023.
- This exercise covers platoon-level joint training on operations in jungle and semi-urban or urban terrain.
- Indian Army's Garhwal Rifles Regiment troops and Japan's Infantry Regiment troops participated in the exercise.
- Aim: To enhance inter-operability in planning and execution
Summits & Conferences
3. Tourism Ministry to organize first Global Tourism Investors' Summit
- Minister of Tourism, G Kishan Reddy has announced that the Tourism Ministry will organize the first Global Tourism Investors' Summit from 17 to 19 May 2023 in New Delhi.
- Agenda: To showcase opportunities in the Tourism and hospitality sector.
- This Summit will deliberate on potential opportunities for investment across tourism segments including hotels and restaurants and other related sectors.
- He also informed that the govt is working to promote the Tourism sector.
4. Pratiksha Trust, IISc and CBR sign MoU
- The Pratiksha Trust has signed an MoU with the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and Centre for Brain Research (CBR) for research, innovation, and translation in deep science.
- Aim: To support the fundamental and translational research on neurodegenerative diseases of the elderly population.
- For this research, Pratiksha Trust commit over 450 crore rupees over the next 10 years.
- Pratiksha Trust: It was established by Kris Gopalakrishnan and Sudha Gopalakrishnan.
5. National level Hackathon ‘KAVACH-2023’ launched
- A national-level hackathon, KAVACH-2023 was launched in New Delhi to identify innovative ideas and technological solutions for addressing the cybersecurity and cybercrime challenges of the 21st century.
- A 36-hour long event participated by youth from educational institutions and registered start-ups.
- This Hackathon was jointly conducted by AICTE, the Bureau of Police Research and Development, and the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre.
- Chairman, AICTE: T G Sitharam
6. Sixth phase of Sujalam-Sufalam Jal Abhiyan begins
- The sixth phase of Sujalam-Sufalam Jal Abhiyan has been started in Gujarat on 17th February 2023.
- The state-wide campaign was launched by the Gujarat CM, Bhupendra Patel at Khoraj in Gandhinagar.
- Aim: To raise the groundwater level and maximize the use of rainwater.
- This phase will be held for 104 days and continue till 31st May 2023
- Developmental works like the deepening of lakes, delisting works of check dams and reservoirs, and cleaning of canals will be carried out
7. CWC and IIT Roorkee Collaborate to Develop ICED
- The Central Water Commission (CWC) signed a Memorandum of Agreement with IIT Roorkee for the development of the International Centre of Excellence for Dams (ICED).
- The Centre will be developed under the externally funded Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP) Phase II and Phase III.
- It will remain valid for ten years or till the duration of the DRIP Phase-II and Phase-II Scheme, whichever is earlier, from the date of signing.
Banking & Finance
8. RBI makes changes in NEFT, RTGS for daily reporting of foreign remittances
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has made necessary changes in NEFT and RTGS systems for Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA) related transactions.
- Under the FCRA, foreign contributions must be received only in the "FCRA account" of the State Bank of India (SBI), New Delhi Main Branch (NDMB).
- The contributions to the FCRA account are received directly from foreign banks through SWIFT and from Indian intermediary banks through NEFT and RTGS systems.
9. IIT Kanpur develops energy-efficient system to transport coal, minerals
- The IIT Kanpur has developed an energy-efficient compressed air-based pipeline system.
- Reason: For transporting coal and minerals, offering round-the-clock monitoring with considerable savings in time and costs
- The cargo-based hyperloop system was developed by Professor, Bishakh Bhattacharya, and research scientists, Kanhaiya Lal Chaurasia and Yashasvi Sinha.
- It will address challenges such as material loss, uncertainty in delivery time, and air pollution.
10. Ministry of Sports, NIPER, and FSSAI sign MoU
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, FSSAI, and the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education & Research, Hyderabad (NIPER Hyderabad) signed a tripartite MoU to create nutritional supplement testing capacity in India.
- This will provide information & build awareness about the risks associated with the use of nutritional supplements.
- It also increases the research opportunities in the clean sport & anti-doping domain.
11. UIDAI launches new AI chatbot Aadhaar Mitra
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched a chatbot named Aadhaar Mitra to help people get an answer to their queries related to the Aadhaar card.
- The Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML)-based chatbot can answer queries related to enrolment number, PVC Card order status, and complaint status.
- It is available in both English and Hindi languages.
- It also shows videos to help the users understand its features and how to use them.
Honours & Awards
12. UNDP's Don’t Choose Extinction climate campaign wins two Anthem Awards
- A campaign ‘Don’t Choose Extinction’, launched by the UN Development Programme (UNDP) has won Gold and Silver in two different categories at the 2nd Annual Anthem Awards.
- The campaign aims to raise awareness about the climate emergency.
- This campaign won Gold in Sustainability, Environment & Climate – Non-Profit Campaign Category, while Silver in Sustainability, Environment & Climate – Global Awareness Campaign Category.
National & International Organizations
13. Bengaluru city center ranked second slowest to drive in the world
- According to the latest report, released by TomTom, Bengaluru’s traffic has made it the second slowest place to drive through in the world in 2022 with about half an hour of travel time by road to cover 10 km.
- While London ranks first with an average of 36 minutes and 20 seconds to travel 10 km in 2022.
- Dublin (Ireland), Sapporo (Japan's town), and Milan(Italy) rank third, fourth, and fifth respectively.
Commentswrite a comment