Honours & Awards
1. Miss USA R'Bonney Gabriel crowned Miss Universe 2022
- Miss USA, R'Bonney Gabriel (28) has been crowned the Miss Universe 2022 at the 71st Miss Universe pageant organized in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- She is a model, fashion designer, and sewing instructor who prioritizes the environment in her work.
- She is also the first Filipino American to win Miss USA.
- Amanda Dudamel from Venezuela was the first runner-up, and Andreína Martínez from the Dominican Republic was the second runner-up.
Honours & Awards
2. DNPA announces Digital Impact Award 2023
- The Digital News Publishers Association (DNPA) has announced Digital Impact awards 2023 in eight categories.
- Categories (Best Use of Digital Media):
- For Health – CoWIN App
- For Women & Child Welfare Reforms – (A) Poshan Tracker App, (B) Himmat Plus Ap
- For Ease of Living –Digilocker
- For Financial Reforms – PMJDY
- For Human Resource Development & Education – DIKSHA
- For Sustainability and Environment Protection – CAMPA
3. Indian pair of Yuki Bhambri, Saketh Myneni wins Bangkok Open tennis title
- In tennis, the Indian team of Yuki Bhambri and Saketh Myneni won the men's double Bangkok Open title 2023 organized at Nonthaburi, Thailand.
- They defeated Christopher Rungkat and Akira Santillan (Indonesian-Australian team).
- With this win, Yuki will get a career-high doubles rank of 90 and Saketh should also touch a career-best 74 in the ATP doubles chart.
- They will next compete in the Australian Open where they have been given a wild card entry.
4. Mukarram Jah, titular eighth Nizam of Hyderabad, passes away
- Mukarram Jah Bahadur, the titular eighth Nizam of Hyderabad passed away at the age of 89 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- He was the successor and grandson of the last Nizam of Hyderabad Mir Osman Ali Khan Bahadur.
- He was born to Prince Azam Jah and Princess Durru Shehvar, the imperial princess of the Ottoman Empire, on October 6, 1933, in France.
- He was coronated as Asaf Jah the Eighth on April 6, 1967, after the passing away of Mir Osman Ali Khan in February 1967.
Banking & Finance
5. SBI Research: Retail inflation expected to come down to 5% by March 2023
- According to SBI Research's latest Ecowrap report, the retail inflation rate of India based on the Consumer Price Index would remain below RBI's comfort zone of 6% and will decline materially to 5% by March 2023.
- Reason: Latest figures showed a marginal decline and further moderation in retail inflation as compared with the last month.
- The retail inflation for December 2022 was at 5.72%.
- For Jan-Mar 2023, the average retail inflation is seen at 4.7%.
Summits & Conferences
6. World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2023 organizes in Davos
- The annual meeting of the World Economic Forum started in Davos, Switzerland, on January 16 and will continue till January 20, 2023.
- The theme of the 53rd annual event is ‘Cooperation in a Fragmented World’.
- Aim: To address the pressing issues the world is facing and promote innovative solutions
- A range of topics will be discussed at the 2023 meeting - New Energy, Climate Change, Jobs, Travel and Tourism, Health, Tech, and Banking.
Honours & Awards
7. Writer K Venu received Federal Bank Literary Award 2023
- Noted writer K Venu has bagged the first-ever Federal Bank Literary Award 2022 for his autobiography ‘Oranweshananthinte Katha’.
- The award was presented by the chairman and independent director of the Federal Bank, Balagopal Chandrasekhar.
- It was presented at an event held as part of the ongoing sixth edition Kerala Literature Festival, Kozhikode beach.
- The prize money was handed over by Nandakumar V (executive vice-president of the bank).
8. India will be covered by Doppler Weather Radar network by 2025
- Earth Sciences Minister, Dr. Jitendra Singh announced that India will be covered by Doppler Weather Radar Network by 2025, at the 148th Foundation Day of the Indian Meteorological Department.
- Aim: To predict extreme weather events more accurately
- It will enhance weather monitoring capabilities and benefit the farmers to contribute significantly to the economy.
- IMD has taken proactive steps to increase the Radar Network from a mere 15 in 2013 to 37 in 2023.
9. RailTel bags ₹170 cr order for Puducherry smart city project
- Indian Railway's wholly owned subsidiary, RailTel Corporation of India Ltd has received an order worth ₹170.11 crores from the Puducherry government.
- Agenda: To design, develop, supply, install, test, commission, and operations, and maintenance of integrated command control centre (ICCC) and other associated activities for the smart city.
- The contract is for five years and will be completed in 10 months.
- The Smart Cities Mission was launched by PM Modi in 2015.
Honours & Awards
10. 'RRR' wins Best Foreign Language Film at Critics Choice Awards 2023
- India's 'RRR' directed by SS Rajamouli has won the Critics Choice Awards 2023 in the Best Foreign Language Film category and Best Song category for 'Naatu Naatu'
- Best Actor: Bob Odenkirk (Best Drama Series: Better Call Saul)
- Best Actress: Zendaya (Euphoria)
- Best Actor: Brendan Fraser (The Whale as Charlie)
- Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (Tár)
- Best Director: Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (Best Movie: Everything Everywhere All at Once)