1. PM Modi Unveiled ‘Statue of Prosperity’ in Bengaluru
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the statue of Nadaprabhu Kempegowda installed at the Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru.
- Called the Statue of Prosperity, is 108 feet tall and weighs 220 tonnes and has a sword with a weight of 4 tonnes.
- The structure has been termed the “first and tallest bronze statue of a founder of a city” by the World Book of Records.
- He was a 16th-century chieftain under the erstwhile Vijayanagara Empire.
Honours & Awards
2. Writers Madhu Kankariya, Madhav Hada awarded the Bihari Puraskar
- Noted writers Madhu Kankariya and Dr Madhav Hada were awarded the 31st and 32nd Bihari Puraskar, respectively.
- It is one of the three literary awards instituted by KK Birla Foundation in 1991.
- Named after the poet Bihari, the award for Rajasthani authors carries a cash prize of ₹2.5 lakh, a plaque and a citation
- Kankariya was awarded the Puraskar for her 2018 novel ‘Hum Yahan The’ while Hada was awarded for his 2015 literary criticism book ‘Pachrang Chola Pahar Sakhi Ri’
3. Indo-French air exercise Garuda VII culminates in Jodhpur
- The 7th edition of the bilateral air exercise between the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the French Air and Space Force (FASF), ‘Exercise Garuda-VII’ concluded at Air Force Station, Jodhpur.
- Exercise Garuda-VII provided the two Air Forces with the opportunity for professional interaction and sharing of operational knowledge and experience.
- The exercise also provided a platform for cultural exchange between the Air Force personnel of both the countries.
Honours & Awards
4. Nobel laureate Venki Ramakrishnan awarded UK’s royal Order of Merit
- India-born Nobel laureate Professor Venki Ramakrishnan has been awarded the prestigious Order of Merit by Britain’s King Charles III in recognition of his distinguished service to science.
- The 70-year-old UK-based molecular biologist is among six appointments made to the historic order by the late Queen Elizabeth II before her death in and the first to be appointed by Charles.
- The Order of Merit is an exclusive mark of honour conferred by the British sovereign.
5. TV Actor Siddhaanth Vir Surryavanshi passes away
- Famous television actor Siddhaanth Vir Surryavanshi passed away following a massive heart attack while working out in a gym.
- He was best known for his roles in shows like 'Kkusum' and 'Kasautii Zindagi Kay'.
- He started his career as a model and then made his debut with 'Kkusum'.
- He was also a part of several other TV shows including, 'Kasautii Zindagii Kay', 'Sufiyana Ishq Mera', 'Ziddi Dil Maane Na' and 'Waaris'.
6. Union Minister R K Singh launched the Green Energy Open Access Portal
- Union power minister RK Singh launched the Green Energy Open Access portal to increase the purchase of renewable energy in the country.
- The portal will allow renewable energy (RE) open access to any consumer with a connected load of 100 kW or above.
- The move is aimed at allowing even small consumers to get access to renewable energy, which is why the government decided to reduce the eligibility from 1MW of sanctioned load to 100 kW or above, in June this year.
7. Renowned mathematician and Padma Shri Awardee, Shri RL Kashyap passes away
- Renowned mathematician and great scholar Padma Shri Awardee, Shri RL Kashyap passed away.
- Shri RL Kashyap was a multifaceted personality and great scholar.
- He was very proud of India’s cultural roots and distinguished himself in Vedic studies.
- PM Narendra Modi has expressed deep grief over the demise the great mathematician.
- RL Kashyap worked as a professor in the Department of Electrical and Computers for three decades at Purdue University in America.
Summits & Conferences
8. 'PM Gati Shakti Multimodal Waterways Summit' opened at Varanasi
- Union Shipping and Waterways Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated the 'PM Gati Shakti Multimodal Waterways Summit 2022' at Varanasi.
- The event, being organised by the Indian Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) under the aegis of the Union ministry of ports, shipping and waterways
- Aims: to generate greater public awareness about the 'PM Gati Shakti National Masterplan' with focus on infrastructure development in the waterways.
Summits & Conferences
9. 9th Ministerial meeting of the India-US Economic and Financial Partnership
- The 9th Ministerial meeting of the India-US Economic and Financial Partnership was held in New Delhi.
- The Indian delegation was led by Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman and the USA delegation was led by Dr. Janet Yellen, Treasury Secretary.
- The 9th India-US EFP meeting covered the discussion on various economic issues including global macroeconomic outlook, climate finance, combating terrorism financing, India’s upcoming G20 presidency, and MDB’s reforms.
10. Bhopal Railway Station gets 4-star ‘Eat Right Station’ certificate
- The FSSAI awarded Bhopal Railway Station a 4-star ‘Eat Right Station’ certification for providing ‘"high-quality, nutritious food to passengers".
- Railway stations are awarded the certificate after an FSSAI-empaneled third-party audit agency rates them on a scale of 1 to 5.
- The certification is part of the ‘Eat Right India’ movement- a large-scale effort by FSSAI.
- Chandigarh Railway station was the fifth to receive a 5-star ‘Eat Right Station’ certification in Sep 2021.