1. Sri Lanka defeat Pakistan to lift 2022 Asia Cup title in Dubai
- In the 15th edition of the Asia Cup, Sri Lanka has lifted 6th Asia Cup title after defeating Pakistan by 23 runs at the Dubai International Stadium, UAE.
- Sri Lanka all-rounder, Wanindu Hasaranga has been selected as the Player of the Series.
- While Bhanuka Rajapaksa (Sri Lankan) has been named the Player of the Match for his batting performance in the final.
- International Cricket Council (ICC) HQ: Dubai, UAE; Chairman: Greg Barclay
2. 3rd Stealth Frigate of Project 17A ‘Taragiri’ launched by MDL
- Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL) has launched the third Stealth Frigate of Project 17A ‘Taragiri.
- The vessel has an approximate launch weight of 3510 Tons.
- Designed by: Bureau of Naval Design, in-house design of Indian Navy
- The ship is 149.02 M long & 17.8 M wide, is propelled by a CODOG combination of two Gas Turbines and 02 Main Diesel Engines.
- The keel of Taragiri was laid on the 10th of September 2020 and the ship is expected to be delivered by August 2025.
3. Film Actor, U. Krishnam Raju passes away
- Former Central Minister and senior Film Actor, U. Krishnam Raju has been passed away at the age of 82.
- He started his film career in 1966 as an actor with Chiluka Gorinka.
- He has been honoured with the first Nandi Award founded by the State Government for Best Actor.
- In 1990, he joined BJP and was elected to the 12th and 13th Lok Sabha from Kakinada and Narsapuram constituencies.
- He was also served as MoS for External Affairs in the Vajpayee Government.
4. US issued highest number of student visas to Indians in 2022
- As per the US Embassy, the United States has issued a record of 82,000 student visas to Indians in 2022 that is highest than any country.
- This is also the highest number of visas given to Indian students ever by the US Mission in India.
- The Open Doors report in 2021 stated that there were 167,582 students from India in the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Indian students comprise nearly 20% of all international students studying in the United States.
Banking & Finance
5. RBI fines Industrial Bank of Korea for non-compliance
- RBI has imposed monetary penalty on Industrial Bank of Korea for non-compliance with regulatory norms.
- Amount: Rs 36 lakh for non-compliance with certain Know Your Customer (KYC) norms.
- RBI has also imposed a penalty of Rs 59.10 lakh on Woori Bank for non-compliance on Creation of a Central Repository of Large Common Exposures – Across Banks'.
A fine of Rs 12.35 lakh has been imposed on Indiabulls Commercial Credit Limited for contravention of KYC Directions.
6. Odisha launched rainwater harvesting scheme ‘CHHATA’
- Odisha government has launched a rainwater harvesting scheme named ‘Community Harnessing and Harvesting Rainwater Artificially from Terrace to Aquifer (CHHATA).
- It will be implemented for a period of five years.
- Aim: Conserve rainwater and improve the water quality in urban local bodies (ULBs) and water scarce blocks.
- It will be implemented through the department of Water Resources (DoWR) with an outlay of Rs 270 crore.
- Odisha Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
Books & Authors
7. A book title ‘Forging Metal: Nrupender Rao and the Pennar Story’ released
- A book titled, 'Forging Mettle: Nrupender Rao and the Pennar Story' has been authored by Pavan C. Lall.
- In this book, the senior journalist Pavan C. Lall tells the story of Nrupender Rao and his entrepreneurial journey.
- It is a unique story of how a business built with ethics, social and environmental concern at the core of its values can indeed be profitable and sustainable.
- This book was published by Harper Business.
8. HPCL, Indian Army collaborates for CSR Project ‘Kargil Ignited Minds’
- Indian Army has been collaborated with the HPCL to provide a learning platform to less-privileged girl students of Kargil Region in UT Ladakh.
- The platform named ‘Kargil Ignited Minds’, which provide coaching and mentoring to the aspiring girl students.
- Aim: To prepare 50 girl students for various National-level Engineering & Medical entrance examinations.
- Focus: To empower the underprivileged girls with limited resources, residing in extreme weather conditions.
9. Australia captain, Aaron Finch announced retirement from ODI cricket
- Australia captain, Aaron Finch has announced his retirement from one-day international cricket following the final game of a three-match series against New Zealand.
- He had an impressive record that includes over 5400 runs with 17 centuries under his name.
- He has made his debut against Sri Lanka at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) in 2013 and smashed his maiden hundred against Scotland, scoring 148 runs.
10. Indian Army, air force conduct joint exercise ‘Gagan Strike’ in Punjab
- Kharga Corps of Army and the Indian Air Force have conducted a joint exercise named 'Gagan Strike', to showcase the might and prowess of the armed forces.
- The exercise was conducted for four days in several areas of Punjab, bordering Ambala in Haryana.
- The operation validated the Apache 64E and Advanced Light Helicopter WSI as potent weapon delivery platforms.
- The exercise was also attended by Lt Gen Nav K Khanduri, General Officer Commanding in Chief, Western Command.