1. Novak Djokovic clinches 90th ATP title in Astana Open, Kazakhstan
- 21-time Grand Slam champion from Serbia, Novak Djokovic has clinched his 90th ATP title after defeating Greek, Stefanos Tsitsipas by 6-3, 6-4 in the final of Astana Open in Kazakhstan.
- He joined Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer in the list of players in Open Era with 90 or more ATP titles.
- In men's doubles, Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic have captured their fifth tour-level title of the season and beat Adrian Mannarino and Fabrice Martin by 6-4, 6-2.
Science & Technology
2. Chandrayaan-2 spectrometer maps abundance of sodium on moon
- According to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), the X-ray spectrometer 'CLASS' on the Chandrayaan-2 orbiter has mapped an abundance of sodium on the moon for the first time.
- Chandrayaan-1’s X-ray Fluorescence Spectrometer (C1XS) has detected sodium from its characteristic line in X-rays.
- CLASS was built at the U R Rao Satellite Centre of ISRO in Bengaluru.
- It provides clean signatures of the sodium line due to its high sensitivity and performance.
3. Founder of Samajwadi Party Mulayam Singh Yadav passes away
- Samajwadi Party founder, Mulayam Singh Yadav has been passed away at the age of 82.
- He was born in a small village Saifai in the Etawah district of Uttar Pradesh and was a trained wrestler.
- His had started his political career in 1967 and formed the Samajwadi Party in 1992.
- He served for three non-consecutive terms as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- He was also served as the Minister of Defence (1996 – 1998) and elected an MLA 10 times and an MP seven times.
Honours & Awards
4. India's hockey star Harmanpreet Singh voted FIH Player of the Year
- India men’s hockey team defender and vice-captain, Harmanpreet Singh has been voted the 2021/22 FIH Player of the Year for the second year running.
- He becomes the fourth player to win the Player of the Year award in men's category in consecutive years.
- He joined an elite list, that includes Teun De Nooijer (Netherlands), Jamie Dwyer (Australia) and Arthur van Doren (Belgium).
- Felice Albers of Netherlands has been named 2021/22 FIH Player of the Year in women's category.
5. World Mental Health Day 2022: 10th October
- World Mental Health Day is observed on October 10 to draw attention to mental health issues and their effects.
- The theme for 2022 is “Make mental health & well-being for all a global priority.”
- The then World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) Deputy Secretary General, Richard Hunter had initiated the first celebration of World Mental Health Day on October 10, 1992.
- WFMH is a non-governmental organisation founded in 1948.
Banking & Finance
6. Government, LIC to sell 60.72% stake in IDBI Bank
- The government and LIC will together divest a 60.72% stake in the IDBI Bank.
- The Centre will divest a 30.48% stake while LIC will offload 30.24%.
- For this, the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) has invited expressions of interest (EoIs) from potential bidders.
- The potential investor should have a minimum net worth of ₹22,500 crore, must report net profit in three out of the past five years, will be eligible for bidding.
7. Max Verstappen won 2022 Formula One Japan GP
- Red Bull, Max Verstappen has declared Formula One world champion after winning a 2022 Japanese Grand Prix.
- Sergio Pérez (Red Bulls) finished second in the list, while, the second-place finisher, Charles Leclerc was given a five-second penalty, dropping him to third.
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) placed fifth.
- Previous GP 2022:
- Singapore: Sergio Pérez
- Italian; Dutch; Belgian; Hungarian; French: Max Verstappen
- Austrian: Charles Leclerc
National & International Appointments
8. Smriti Mandhana appointed as Gulf Oil India ambassador
- Gulf Oil Lubricants has appointed Indian cricketer, Smriti Mandhana as its new brand ambassador.
- With this association, Gulf Oil became the first company in the lubricant space to appoint a woman cricketer as ambassador.
- She will join the ranks of current brand ambassadors Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Hardik Pandya.
- Aim: To celebrate women power and inspire female audience in the country and also honored the achievements of Indian women cricketers.
9. India to host military exercise, Manesar Anti-Terror 2022
- The National Security Guard (NSG) has organised the multinational Joint Anti-Terror Exercise (JATE), “Manesar Anti-Terror 2022” at NSG Manesar Garrison.
- The exercises was conducted under the framework of SCO Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS).
- It is the second stage of the exercise, as the Stage-1 was conducted from July 27 to August 1 by the National Counter Terrorist Forces of SCO Member Countries in their respective territories.
Science & Technology
10. Asteria Aerospace receives first micro-category drone certification
- Asteria Aerospace Limited has received India’s first micro category drone type certification for its indigenously designed A200 drone from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
- The A200 drone was found to be fully compliant with the Certification Scheme for Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
- Asteria’s A200 drone has been developed for surveying and mapping applications in GIS, agriculture, construction, mining and other industries.