What is Railway Protection Force (RPF)?
The Railway Protection Force is responsible for the security and protection of railway tracks, personnel, and equipment. The Director General is the head of RPF. The eligibility criteria for this service are the same as other services under the UPSC. candidates need to clear the Civil Services Exam in order to get allotment. Let’s know more about the roles, responsibilities, salary and other information related to Railway Protection Force.
Railway Protection Force- Roles and Responsibilities
Both Government Railway Police and Railway Protection Force ensure the security of passengers and property of Indian railways. Other responsibilities of RPF are as follows:
- Arrest the individuals who damage, steal or possess the railway property unlawfully.
- To make sure the stable and smooth movement of railway traffic by removing all the obstriction to the train and the movement of passengers.
- Railway Protection Force also provides security to passenger trains in vulnerable locations.
- Prevent the trafficking of children and women, and help the people who are found inside the railway premises.
- To maintain and enhance the RPF Security Management System.
Railway Protection Force Powers
The powers given to the Railway Protection Force to perform their duties smoothly are given below:
- RPF has the power to prosecute, investigate and arrest the persons engaged in activities that violate the Railways Act of 1890.
- Railway Protection Force also has the power to remove any obstructions that obstruct the smooth running of trains or the transport of passengers.
- Power to use lethal and non-lethal force based on the situation while discharging their duties.
RPF Rank List
Railway Protection Force is headed by the IPS officer and is the rank of Director General. The Director General is assisted by officers selected through UPSC CSE. The RPF rank list is given below in tabulated format.
Additional Director General
Additional Director General
Commanding Officer/Staff Officer/Security Commissioner/Senior Divisional Security Commissioner
Deputy Inspector General
Director of RPF Academy/Chief Security Commissioner
Deputy Chief Security Commissioner/Divisional Security Commissioner
Principal Chief Security Commissioner
Assistant Security Commissioner
Railway Protection Force Salary
Below, we have provided the monthly salary of the Railway Protection Force.
- Director-General salary in RPF is Rs.225000 per month.
- Salary of an Additional Director General in RPF is Rs.205400
- Principal Chief Security Commissioner salary in RPF is Rs.144200
- Director of RPF Academy/Chief Security Commissioner RPF salary is Rs.131100
- Deputy Chief Security Commissioner/Divisional Security Commissioner/Senior Divisional Security Commissioner salary is Rs. 78800
- Salary of Commanding Officer/Security Commissioner/Staff Officer in RPF is Rs. 67700
- Assistant Security Commissioner in RPF salary is Rs. 56100
Units Under Railway Protection Force
The units under RPF are given below:
- Breeding and Training Centre for Police Dogs
- Indian Railway Protection Force Service
- Central Weapons Store
- Central Crime Bureau
|Important Notes for UPSC|
|Right to Education||Multipurpose River Valley Projects in India|
|Right to Freedom of Religion||Santhal Rebellion|
|Appointment and Removal of Judges of Supreme Court||Supreme Court of India|