Pulitzer Prize 2022 has been announced for all the categories including Journalism, Books, Drama, and Music. The Washington Post, Indians Adnan Abidi, Sanna Irshad Mattoo, Amit Dave, and late Danish Siddiqui of Reuters were the prominent winners of the Pulitzer Prize 2022.
Background of Pulitzer Prize
A few facts about the Pulitzer Prize are mentioned below:
- Established: 1917
- Introduced by provisions in the will of Joseph Pulitzer, who had made his fortune as a newspaper publisher.
- Administered by: Columbia University.
- Basically, newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer gave money in his will to Columbia University to launch a journalism school and establish the Prize.
- He allocated $250,000 to the prize and scholarships.
- After his death on 29th October 1911, the first Pulitzer Prize was awarded on June 4, 1917.
- Originally, the award categories included 4 awards in Journalism, 4 in letters and Drama, 1 in Education, and 4 in Traveling scholarships.
- It is now awarded annually in 21 categories.
- Pulitzer winner in Public Service Category is awarded a Gold Medal.
Pulitzer Prize 2022: Complete List of Winners
List of Journalism Category Winners
The Washington Post
For covering the assault on Capitol on January 6, 2021.
Breaking News Reporting
The Staff of the Miami Herald
For covering the collapse of Seaside apartment towers in Florida
Corey G. Johnson, Rebecca Woolington, and Eli Murray of the Tampa Bay Times
For exposing highly toxic hazard inside only battery recycling plant in Florida
Staff of Quanta Magazine and Natalie Wolchover
For covering the complexities of Webb Space Telescope works
Cecilia Reyes (Chicago Tribune) and Madison Hopkins (Better Government Association)
For piercing examination of city’s long history of failed building- and fire-safety code enforcement
The Staff of the New York Times
Quantified disturbing pattern of fatal traffic stops by police,
The Staff of the New York Times
Exposed vast civilian toll of U.S.-led airstrikes, challenging official accounts of American military engagements in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan.
Jennifer Senior of The Atlantic
Melinda Henneberger of the Kansas City Star
Salamishah Tillet, contributing critic at large for The New York Times
Lisa Falkenberg, Michael Lindenberger, Joe Holley and Luis Carrasco of The Houston Chronicle
Illustrated Reporting and Commentary
Fahmida Azim, Anthong Del Col, Josh Adams, Walt Jockey of Insider
Breaking News Photography
1. Marcus Yam of Los Angeles Times
2. Win McNamee, Drew Angerer, Spencer Platt, Samuel Corum and John Cherry of Getty Images
1. for images of US departure from Afghanistan
2. for photos of attack on US Capitol
Late Danish Siddiqui of Reuters, Adnan Abidi, Sanna Irshad Mattoo, and Amit Dave
For images of COVID toll in India
Staffs of Futuro Media and PRX
‘Suave’- an immersive profile of a man re-entering society after more than 30 years in Prison
Pulitzer Prize 2022 in Books, Drama & Music
The Netanyahus: An Account of a Minor and Ultimately Even Negligible Episode in the History of a Very Famous Family
Covered with Night; Cuba: An American History
Nicole Eustace (Liveright/Norton); Ada Ferrer (Scribner)
Chasing Me to My Grave: An Artist's Memoir of Jim Crow South
Late Winfred Rembert
Invisible Child: Poverty, Survival & Hope in an American City
Pulitzer Prize 2022 Special Citation
Special Awards & Citations
The Journalists of Ukraine
Indian Journalist in the Pulitzer Prize 2022 List
- Danish Siddiqui, who was awarded posthumously, along with Adnan Abidi, Sanna Irshad Mattoo, and Amit Dave was awarded the Pulitzer Prize 2022 from India.
- Danish Siddiqui of Reuters has been given the award posthumously. He was killed during the conflict between the Taliban and the Afghan army.
- Adnan Abidi, Sanna Irshad Mattoo, and Amit Dave were awarded for their images of the Covid toll in India.
Indians who have won Pulitzer Prize: A History
- A member of the Ghadar Party in America, Indian-American journalist Gobind Behari Lal, was the first from India to win the Pulitzer Prize for journalism in 1937.
he also received the Padma Bhushan in 1969.
- In 2003, Mumbai-born Geeta Anand was part of the team at Wall Street Journal that won a Pulitzer Prize for reporting on corporate corruption.
- In 2016, Indian-American Sanghamitra Kalita, then managing editor of the Los Angeles Times, won the Pulitzer in the Breaking News Reporting category with her team for their coverage of the San Bernardino shooting in California in 2015.
- In 2000, London-born Indian-American writer Jhumpa Lahiri won the Pulitzer Prize in Fiction for her debut short story collection Interpreter of Maladies.
- In 2011, Siddhartha Mukherjee (Indian-American Physician, Biologist, and Author) won the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction for his demystification of cancer in The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.
- In 2020, Channi Anand, Mukhtar Khan and Dar Yasin of Associated Press won the Pulitzer in the Feature Photography category “for striking images captured during a communications blackout in Kashmir depicting life in the contested territory as India stripped it of its semi-autonomy,”.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT and other MBA Exam, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card