Carbon Dioxide for Photosynthesis
The process by which green plants, algae, and some microbes transform solar light energy into chemical energy in the form of glucose is known as photosynthesis. The overall equation for photosynthesis can be summarized as follows:
6CO2 + 6H2O + light energy → C6H12O6 + 6O2
In this equation, light energy causes carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) to transform into glucose (C6H12O6) and oxygen (O2). It is a crucial process for the ecosystems of the Earth since it creates oxygen and serves as a source of energy for the majority of life on the planet.
Experiment on Photosynthesis
Let us prove with the help of an experiment that carbon dioxide is necessary for photosynthesis.
- Select a healthy potted plant and place it in a well-lit area.
- Water the plant adequately to ensure it is hydrated.
- Take the transparent plastic bag and place it over the entire plant, ensuring it covers the leaves and the pot.
- Secure the plastic bag around the pot with a rubber band or string, creating a sealed environment.
- Leave the plant undisturbed in the sealed plastic bag for a few hours to allow it to acclimate to the new conditions.
- After a few hours, carefully open the plastic bag, and add a pinch of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to the soil around the plant. (Sodium bicarbonate is a source of carbon dioxide that can be readily absorbed by the plant during photosynthesis.)
- Reseal the plastic bag and leave the plant for several more hours.
Observation: Observe the plant for any changes in its appearance and health. You should notice the following:
- If the plant was initially healthy, it should continue to thrive and maintain its normal growth.
- If the plant was initially unhealthy or lacked sufficient carbon dioxide, you should observe a significant improvement in its condition.
Prove with the help of an experiment that carbon dioxide is necessary for photosynthesis.
The increased carbon dioxide concentration provides the plant with a crucial raw material required for the process. In the absence of carbon dioxide, the plant's ability to perform photosynthesis is limited, which can negatively impact its growth and survival.
- A bus decreases its speed from 80 km/hr to 60 km/hr in 5s, find the acceleration of the bus.
- A and B invest in a business in the ratio 3: 2. If 5% of the total profit goes to charity and A's share is Rs.855, the total profit is.
- The probability of getting a prime number when a die is rolled is ½.
- In a single throw of two dice, the probability of getting a sum of 9 is 1/9.
- Write the balanced equation for the following chemical reaction. Hydrogen + Chlorine → Hydrogen chloride
- Convert the following temperatures to the Kelvin scale. (a) 25°C (b) 373°C.
- How would you Balance: H2+O2→H2O.
Commentswrite a comment