What is PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana?
In order to provide the various inputs associated with agriculture and related activities and to meet domestic requirements, the government of India, on February 24, 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
The following is an overview of the PM Kisan Scheme:
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
24 February, 2019
Agricultural and Farmers' Welfare Ministerial Department
PM Kisan Benefit
Rs 6000/- per year
A total of three equal payments
Mode of Payment
Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) transfers funds to farmers' bank accounts
- The PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana receives annual government funding as a central sector initiative. Dec 1st, 2018, marked the beginning of the scheme.
- It was later expanded to include all farmers in the country, regardless of the size of their landholdings, starting on June 1, 2019.
- The PM Kisan scheme gives farmers who own less than two hectares of land a total of Rs. 2,000 in three equal payments to help with their income.
- The Centre gets a list of the farmers who are eligible for the scheme from the state governments and the Union Territory administration.
Objectives of PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
By the government of India's central sector plan, the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PMKNSY) helped many farmers who worked for small and marginal profits. Initially, this was only for farmers with less than two acres of land, but now all landowners can use it.
- It supports all eligible farmers, including their families. Eligible farmers had their own lands.
- The PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana helps small and marginal farmers get the inputs they need.
- To ensure their crops are healthy and produce the right amount of food based on how much money they expect to make at the end of each crop cycle.
- To prevent farmers from falling into moneylenders for the purpose of covering such expenses and to ensure their continued involvement in farming activities in the long run.
PM Kisan Scheme Benefits
The following are the benefits of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana:
- Around 14.5 million people are expected to benefit from the PM Kisan scheme.
- One of the best benefits of this scheme is that money can be transferred directly to the farmers.
- Farmers' records are now officially registered on a digital platform.
- The PM Kisan Samman Nidhi yojana is a significant step in the government's modernization of agriculture initiatives.
- Farmers no longer have to worry as much about running out of money.
PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana Eligibility
The PM Kisan scheme is open to small and marginal farmers, and one should be an Indian citizen to get the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana benefits. Farmers who are eligible for the scheme must submit the following documentation for verification:
- An Aadhaar card
- A citizenship certificate
- Land ownership paperwork
- A bank account number
There are some exceptions to the general rule of PM Kisan yojana eligibility to avail of the scheme.
- Any and all landowners, whether they be public or private.
- Constitutional members of the government, past and present.
- Past, and present, Ministers/State Ministers, Mayors of Municipal Corporations, Legislators who have served or are now serving in the LokSabha, the RajyaSabha, the state legislatures, or the state legislative councils.
- District Panchayat Chairs from the past and present.
- All Central/State Government Ministries/Offices/Departments members (whether serving or retired).
- No one could take advantage of this offer if they had paid income tax in the previous assessment year.
- Individuals whose monthly pension is at least Rs. 10,000/- and who fall into the above-mentioned categories.
- People licensed to practice their professions, such as medical doctors, lawyers, Central/State Government Ministries/Offices/Departments, chartered accountants, architects, and members of one or more professional associations.
- Non-agricultural uses of farmland will not be eligible for the PM Kisan scheme financial assistance.
PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana Challenges
Some key challenges to the PM Kisan Scheme are as follows:
- PM Kisan Yojana doesn't cover Landless Laborers/Tenants/Sharecroppers.
- The lack of proper tenancy records will also benefit absentee landlords. A lack of coordination between the registration department, revenue department, and survey department could be detrimental to implementation.
- It doesn't try to solve the actual issue leading to distress because cash transfer is not a replacement for agricultural reforms, and it does not protect farmers from the risks and uncertainty of crop cultivation.
- As it is mandatory to get Aadhar linked for Direct Benefit Transfer for Cash Transfer, so Aadhar linking is another obstacle.
- The PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana may lead to land fragmentation by the farmers to avail the scheme's benefits.
PM Kisan Samman Nidhi UPSC
The PM Kisan Samman Nidhi UPSC is an important topic for the upcoming IAS Exam, which must be studied thoroughly. Many questions are usually asked on PM Kisan Scheme in UPSC Prelims and Mains. To answer these questions in the UPSC and other competitive exams, you must read this article until the end and download the PDF from the above link.
PM Kisan Mobile App
The National Informatics Centre worked with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology to create the PM Kisan mobile app.
- The PM Kisan Yojana mobile app was created to make it as easy as possible for farmers to access information about the program.
- Farmers can use the PM Kisan Scheme Mobile App to keep track of their benefits.
- Farmers can make Aadhaar card updates and corrections and check their bank account balances for a history of credits.