PhD Physics: Important Highlights
The aspirants for the PhD Physics can check the table given below to understand every important highlight regarding the PhD Physics.
|PhD in Physics|
|Full Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Physics|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based & Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 to 6 lakhs|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2 - 20 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||CSIR-National Physical Laboratory of India, ITM Group of Institutes, Amity University, Manipal University, Physical Research Laboratory, Solid State Physics Laboratory, IISC Bangalore, IIIT Hyderabad, UBS, Amazon, Indian Institute of Science, Physical Research Laboratory PRL Thaltej Campus, etc|
|Job Positions||Researcher, Scientist, Physicist, Lecturer & Professor, Author & Writer, Journalist, Editor & Critic, Human Services Worker, Independent Consultant, Philosophical Journalist, Industrial R&D Lab professionals, Senior Research Scientist, etc.|
What is PhD Physics About?
PhD Physics is a 3-year doctorate course that equips students with research skills and specialist knowledge. It is considered an ideal degree for aspirants who want to pursue full-time research as their career with PhD Scholarship. Here are some important points about PhD Physics-
- PhD Physics is an advanced study in Physics.
- PhD Physics course offers the candidates be equipped with subject matter experts and research opening various career scopes for them.
- This course will help develop knowledge in classical and quantum mechanics, biomedical physics, electricity and magnetism, natural laws in optics, astronomy and astrophysics etc.
- The students must have major skills such as collaborative findings, good research conducting skills, analytical skills, etc., to pursue PhD Physics.
- The PhD Physics part-time courses are no longer recognised as per UGC norms, so the candidates can only apply for full-time PhD Physics.
- Although through proper guidelines, the candidates can obtain a distance degree for PhD Physics from IGNOU PhD Admission.
- PhD Physics course hols the duration of a total of 3 years.
- PhD Physics provides knowledge about both conducting research in the academic as well as the corporate sector.
- The candidates can apply for job positions in the research sectors, healthcare, education, pharmaceutical, etc., after completing their PhD Courses.
Eligibility Criteria For PhD Physics
The aspirants for the PhD Physics must be aware of their PhD eligibility for it to be successful applicants for the course. Here are some of the eligibility criteria for PhD Physics as follows-
- The candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree, MPhil degree, or M.Sc in Physics or Material Science.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 60% aggregate or equivalent CGPA (relaxation upto 55% or equivalent CGPA for SC/ST category).
- The candidate must qualify for entrance exams such as CSIR/UGC-JRF, CSIR/UGC, JEST, etc., followed by personal interviews for admission.
List Of Top Colleges For PhD Physics
The candidates can check the list of some of India's best colleges for PhD physics. Candidates can also check the PhD Entrance Exams through which one can join these colleges.
|Indian Institute of Technology||Mumbai||AICTE, UGC||INR 73,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Kanpur||UGC||INR 64,050|
|Indian Institute of Science||Bangalore||NAAC, UGC||INR 35,200|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Madras||AICTE||INR 19,670|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science||Pilani||AICTE, NAAC||INR 1,10, 125|
|Loyola College||Chennai||NAAC||INR 7,200|
|Christ University||Bangalore||NAAC, UGC||INR 35,000|
|Jadavpur University||Kolkata||NCTE, COA, AICTE, NAAC, UGC||INR 2,388|
|Shiv Nadar University||Greater Noida||AICTE, UGC||INR 2,10,000|
|Birla Institute Of Technology||Ranchi||PCI, AICTE, NAAC, UGC, NBA||INR 75,000|
Why Study PhD Physics?
There are various reasons why students choose to pursue PhD Physics, based on career opportunities, skills built and various job opportunities. The various reasons for pursuing PhD Physics are as follows-
- Helps in Acquiring Various Skills
The students pursuing PhD Physicsdevelop theories, conduct experiments, mathematical modelling, etc., and learn natural laws in different fields such as classical, optics, quantum mechanics, astronomy and astrophysics, electricity and magnetism, biomedical physics, and electricity and magnetism, etc.
- Best Job Opportunities
There are various job opportunities that PhD Physics Students can apply for in industries such as finance, medical, healthcare, education, research, consulting, IT, Banking, etc. For more opportunities, check PhD Salary.
- Various Future Career Options
Students with a PhD Physics degree can apply for the various job options such as Scientist, Researcher, Physicist, Author & Writer, Lecturer & Professor, Journalist, Human Services Worker, Editor & Critic, Independent Consultant, Industrial R&D Lab professionals, Philosophical Journalist, Senior Research Scientist, etc.
Job Profile And Career Options in PhD Physics
As mentioned above, Students with a PhD Physics degree can apply for various job options such as Scientist, Researcher, Physicist, Author & Writer, Lecturer & Professor, Journalist, Human Services Worker, Editor & Critic, Independent Consultant, Industrial R&D Lab professionals, Philosophical Journalist, Senior Research Scientist, etc.
Here is the list of Some major job profiles for the students who pursued PhD Physics, as follows-
|Job Role||Job Responsibilities||Average Salary|
|Research Scientist||Their main task is learning social events, understanding exploration, advancement and configuration work, exploration as a researcher, etc.||INR 8,49,405|
|Physicist||Their main tasks are to conduct studies of the universe and formulate scientific theories, use their expert knowledge to help product designers and engineers develop new scientific equipment, create software to model data and publish scholarly journals detailing their research.||INR 8,00,000|
|Physics Professor||They assist students in conducting their own research effectively and ensure their coursework adequately prepares them for work within their field upon graduation.||INR 7,99,918|
|Natural Science Managers||They create cost-effective and efficient strategies for research and development.||INR 8,62,161|
|Petroleum Engineers||They develop plans for extracting oil and gas, aid in the creation of new machinery, work on-site to ensure that all equipment is installed properly, etc.||INR 8,08,111|
Admission Process For PhD Physics
Here are the various ways to apply for the PhD Admission colleges/universities offering the course-
- The students can apply online and offline as per the university rules and guidelines before the deadline by filling out the application form.
- The candidates will have to qualify for the PhD Entrance Exams conducted by the university and colleges.
- The shortlisted candidates will also have to qualify for the personal interview session.
- Some universities also offer a PhD Physics based on the candidates' marks in their masters.