Latest News of PhD Mandatory for Upcoming Assistant Professor Recruitment
- Ministry of Education has put on hold PhD as minimum criteria for Assistant Professor in Universities.
- This decision has been taken in view of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Also, this relaxation has been given to fill the posts of Assistant Professor in Universities. Many candidates could not submit their PhD due to COVID-19.
- Candidates must know that this relaxation is until the year 2023.
- Further, we have discussed in this article if PhD is mandatory for universities and colleges.
What did the Ministry of Education Notification say?
In the above notification, it is stated that the central government has changed the UGC regulations and made the doctorate the minimum requirement for hiring assistant professors.
The 2018 UGC regulations, which establish the minimum requirement for the employment of assistant professors, should take effect from 2021, but this has been postponed due to the COVID19 pandemic.
Now, the rule has been extended until July 2023 until that, the UGC NET score remains valid for the appointment of assistant professor posts.
The keyword here is Universities that are missed by candidates.
If we read the notification the things become clear.
UGC has made it very clear in the notification that PhD degree will not be mandatory for the post of assistant professor in the universities until 1.7.2023.
And, PhD mandatory for Assistant professor in Universities is explained by this notification further.
It clearly distinguishes PhD mandatory for Assistant Professor in Universities and UGC NET or PhD minimum eligibility criteria in college for Assistant Professor.
- PhD is mandatory for Assistant Professor in University i.e at Post-graduation level from 1st July 2023.
- PhD is mandatory for Assistant Professor in Promotion( Academic Level-12).
- UGC NET will remain the eligibility criteria for Assistant Professor (Academic level-10)
- RPSC Assistant Professor Exam was conducted this year. Only UGC NET is the eligibility criteria, not PhD.
- UPHESC Assistant Professor Exam will be conducted from October. Here too UGC NET is the eligibility criteria, not PhD.
- UPPSC Assistant Professor exam will be conducted next year. In this too, UGC NET is the eligibility criteria, not PhD.
Please read the full official notification again for further information.
If you still have confusion, comment below.
Team BYJU'S Exam Prep
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.