PhD in Mathematics: Important Highlights
The table given below contains all the important highlights related to the PhD In Mathematics. It is important to check all the details before taking PhD admission in the course.
|Course Level||Doctorate Course|
|PhD Full Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics|
|Eligibility||M.Sc. Degree in Mathematical or Physical Sciences/ B. Tech Candidates from any discipline with a minimum of 55% score|
|Admission process||Merit-based / Entrance Examination|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 – 3 Lakhs per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 3 – 9 Lakhs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Banks, Investment Firms, Commerce Industry, Business Industry, Colleges, Universities, Research and Development Firms, Indian Civil Services, Inventory Management, Insurance Agencies, Statistics (e.g. Ernst & Young, Tiger Analytics, TCS Innovation Lab, Weizmann Institute, etc.)|
|Job Positions||Mathematician, Statistician, Loan Officer, Accountant, Economist, Researcher, Personal Banker, Cryptographer, Demographer, Professor, etc.|
What is PhD Mathematics About?
PhD Mathematics is a doctoral program providing an opportunity for students who want to pursue their careers in the field of research for mathematics. This helps them gain deeper knowledge and strong research skill in the field of mathematics. Here are some important points on PhD Mathematics-
- PhD Mathematics is considered to be a full-time doctoral degree.
- PhD Mathematics is a doctoral course with a duration of 2 years and a maximum of 3-5 years.
- In this program, the students must study the statistical concepts of engineering design, inspection, and quality assurance.
- This course involves various methods of mathematical types associated with asymptotic analysis, graph theory, bifurcation theory, scientific computation, probability and statistics, stability theory, ordinary and partial differential equations, stochastic processes, and singular perturbations.
- The major topics included in PhD Mathematics are normality, correlation, probability, regression, confidence intervals in reliability and sampling.
Eligibility Criteria in PhD Mathematics
The students looking forward to applying for the PhD in Mathematics must go through these common PhD eligibility criteria in mathematics to successfully apply to the college/university offering the course in PhD Mathematics.
- The candidates must have M.Sc./ Master’s Degree in Physical or Mathematical Sciences.
- The candidates having B. Tech degrees are also eligible to apply. However, it depends on the colleges and universities they are applying to.
- Some colleges offer direct admission to students with excellent academic records in the relevant fields.
- The marks criteria depend on different colleges accordingly. However, on average, the candidates must have aggregate marks of 50%, with a relaxation of 5% for SC/ST categories.
List Of The Top Colleges For PhD in Mathematics
The table below contains the list of top colleges/universities that offers full-time course for PhD in mathematics. Check the important PhD Entrance Exam that will help you get admission to good colleges.
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees|
|Indian Institute of Science||Bangalore||INR 75,600|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 22,268|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Coimbatore||INR 27,855|
|Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College||Kolkata||INR 21,000|
|Queen Mary’s College||Chennai||INR 5,805|
|Sri Ramakrishna College of Arts and Science||Coimbatore||INR 60,000|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Stella Maris College, Chennai||Chennai||INR 6,000|
|Birla Institute of Technology||Ranchi||INR 1.75 Lakhs|
|Kuvempu University||Shimoga||INR 1.62 Lakhs|
Why study PhD Mathematics?
Candidates looking forward to pursuing their career in the field of research in mathematics gets several opportunities along to gain some best knowledge in the field. There are several jobs and great opportunities after pursuing PhD in Mathematics. Here are some of the common reasons for pursuing PhD in mathematics-
- Expansion Of Knowledge: PhD in mathematics provides the candidates with some great knowledge in the field of mathematics.
- Develops Research Skills: This program works to develop research skills and present data in graphical form by providing research training relevant to the country's present economic and social objectives.
- Various Job Opportunities: A PhD is the highest level of degree anyone can attain in a certain field. Hence it opens various career opportunities for students in the fields of accountancy services, banking, government, investment and insurance, and public administration. They can become lecturers and teachers in schools, colleges, and universities by qualifying for some exams.
Job Profiles and Career Options in PhD Mathematics
As mentioned above, a PhD is the highest level of degree anyone can attain in a certain field; hence it opens various career opportunities for students, such as-.
- The graduates with PhD in mathematical areas can pursue careers in the field of Computational Complex, Numerical Analysis, Analysis Group, Complexity and Networks, Biomathematics Group, Fluid Dynamics, Dynamical Systems, Mathematical Physics, etc.
- PhD Mathematics also offers the graduates to work in private and government banks with a good PhD salary.
- The graduates also have the opportunities to seek jobs in various sectors such as public accounting firms, market research, government and private financial sectors, government and private banks, budget planning, corporations and consultancies.
- The top companies offering jobs for graduates who pursued PhD Mathematics are ITC Infotech, Aquis, Airtel, IBM Global Services, NEXT Techno Enterprises, ABC Consultants, Brainfuse, etc.
Here is the list of Some of the major job profiles for the students who pursued PhD Mathematics, as follows-
|Job profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Cashier||Cashiers are responsible for selecting the right product and also consider becoming retail sales workers. They may also set up store displays and perform cashier duties. The employer generally offers the training.||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Insurance Manager||Insurance Managers are responsible for researching, which helps them forecast how likely certain risk events are to occur and how these events will impact their company with a potential loss.||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Finance Manager||Finance managers monitor accounts, review financial reports, maintain reports, and prepare activity reports and financial forecasts. They also examine how to raise profitability and analyze markets for business opportunities.||INR 8 Lakhs|
|Accountant||These professionals perform administrative duties such as creating forms and maintaining schedules. They prepare financial statements and tax returns, and accounting firms represent clients on matters about their financial affairs.||INR 3.5 Lakhs|
|Loan Counselor||Loan counsellors are responsible for working with a financial institution; they process a client's application materials, verify the information, and work with the client to develop a financial plan.||INR 4 Lakhs|
|Professor/ Asst. Professor||They are much needed to provide basic education to students interested in studying art at doctoral level programs.||INR 5 Lakhs|
Admission Process For PhD Mathematics?
The candidates can use the following processes to apply for the PhD Admission colleges/universities offering the course-
- Most colleges/institutes offering the PhD mathematics start the application process beginning in January, so the candidates can either apply online or offline depending on the appellation process of the colleges and universities to which they are applying to.
- The candidates will be required to qualify for the entrance examination laid by the colleges and universities to get on the list of shortlisted candidates.
- If the candidates are looking to pursue their graduation from government colleges and universities, they just qualify for the CSIR NET and UGC NET Exams.
- The candidates can also apply for the GATE exam to get into some good colleges for a PhD Mathematics program.
Commentswrite a comment