PhD From IIT - Introduction
The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) are the premier Institutions of India which are dedicated to scientific and technical education. These are public institutions for higher studies that are declared as institutions of national importance and committed their powers, duties, roles and responsibilities for governance according to the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961. By 2018 The Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 has published and listed down twenty-three such institutes. Every IIT is autonomous, connected to each institute through a common IIT council, which supervises their administration. The Minister of Human Resource Development (HRD) acts as the ex officio Chairperson of the IIT Council.
There are a total of 23 IITs in India – their names along with their locations are given below:
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Madras
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Guwahati
- IIT Roorkee
- IIT Ropar
- IIT Bhubaneswar
- IIT Gandhinagar
- IIT Hyderabad
- IIT Jodhpur
- IIT Patna
- IIT Indore
- IIT Mandi
- IIT (BHU) Varanasi
- IIT Palakkad
- IIT Tirupati
- IIT Dhanbad
- IIT Bhilai
- IIT Goa
- IIT Jammu
- IIT Dharwad
PhD From IIT - List of Institutes Having Bioscience/Life Science Department for PhD
IITs provide professional courses for both science and engineering aspirants. Although Biosciences was not one of the primary domains of the IIT curriculum, in the recent era and the advances in biosciences has definitely impacted a major impact on the world academic sector, especially on IIT. These days biosciences are not limited to studying only a few classical topics such as taxonomy, histology, physiology, and anatomy. The emerging branches of biosciences have come a long way such as molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, genetics, instrumentation has been expanding continuously and has a vast scope of innovative research as well as potential application in various sectors such as medicine, pathology, healthcare, etc. Sо the huge demаnd fоr sсientifiс study hаs nоw led tо the inсlusiоn оf the biоsсienсe dоmаin аnd its аllied brаnсhes аs оne оf the рrimаry deраrtments аt IITs. But сurrently, оnly sоme IITs institutes рrоvide соurses fоr biоlоgiсаl sсienсes. So, Students who are aspiring in obtaining a PhD degree in biosciences subject only from IIT have to screen the IIT institutes carefully that provides a degree in biosciences.
We have prepared a list of institutes that Have Bioscience / Life science departments and offer a PhD Degree in Bioscience.
|IIT Institute||Name of Department|
|IIT Kharagpur||Biotechnology, Bioscience, Medical Science and Technology|
|IIT Bombay||Biosciences and Bioengineering (BSBE)|
|IIT Kanpur||Biological Sciences and Bioengineering|
|IIT Delhi||Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology|
|IIT Guwahati||Biosciences and Bioengineering|
|IIT Ropar||Biomedical Engineering|
|IIT Bhubaneswar||Basic sciences|
|IIT Gandhinagar||Biomedical engineering|
|IIT Hyderabad||Biomedical engineering and biotechnology|
|IIT Jodhpur||BioSciences and Bioengineering|
|IIT Indore||BioSciences and biomedical engineering|
|IIT (BHU) Varanasi||Biochemical and Engineering and Biomedical Engineering|
|IIT Dharwad||BioSciences and BioEngineering|
PhD From IIT - Eligibility Criteria
Please find below the below pointers to know the eligibility criteria for the admission process for a PhD degree at IIT.
- The eligibility may differ from institution to institution slightly but the common and minimum criteria that have been followed till now is the Master’s degree, M.Tech./M.Sc. in relevant field with minimum CGPA 6.0 for General candidates and 5.5 CGPA for reserved category students.
- A National level fellowship such as DST-INSPIRE, CSIR-UGC NET JRF, DBT JRF, ICMR JRF, ICMR JRF, GATE qualification is another essential qualification required to grab the seat at IITs.
- For a candidate having a previous degree from either NIT/IIT with CGPA above a cut-off which is set by the respective institute (usually 7.00 to 8.00), the requirements of national fellowship and the written test could be skipped. They can be directly shortlisted to appear in the interview round.
PhD From IIT - Application Procedure
- The IITs opens their admission window to various PhD programs twice a year. The two sessions are July-August and December-January, which are also called as autumn semester and spring semester.
- The notification for the autumn semester application is generally out in the month of Mar-Apr which is followed by an interview in the month of May and admission by the end of July to start the whole course in August.
- Similarly, the notification for the spring session application is generally out in the month of Sep-Oct which is followed by an interview in December and admission by the end of December to start the whole course in January. So students must stay alert to check the official website regularly for updated information regarding admission in respective institutes.
- One of the smart ways to get notifications regarding admission on time is to subscribe to BYJU'S Exam Prep so that the students get alert about each and every admission update without fail.
PhD From IIT - Admission Procedure
The PhD admission procedure is completely online. Before applying to start with the application process, it is advised to read instructions very carefully and the information brochure as the process may vary from one institute to another. Within the deadline, students have to apply with all the required information and self-attested documents. So it is recommended to keep softcopies of all the essential academic documents ready as per the information mentioned in the information brochure. Though hard copy does not need to be sent it has to be produced at the time of the interview only.
PhD From IIT - Interview Tips
- Though the written test is the preliminary screening for selecting eligible candidates, the final selection is solely based on the performance of the candidate in the interview round only.
- The interview panel consists of all the faculty members of the respective department /centre or institute.
- Since you know that eminent scientists are also present in an interview round and you cannot be totally unafraid, but being bold and confident with your response is the positive factor to pass the interview round successfully.
- It is okay not to know the answer to all the questions being asked but the way of responding is crucial. Generally, the interview starts with an introduction, so be skilful enough to introduce yourself in such a way to impress the interviewers and pose a positive impact during the initial phase of the interview.
- Try not to show your nervousness while responding. Sometimes the question could be regarding your research topic or your favourite topic.
- Make sure your research interest should not something completely outside or opposite to the institute research domain. It should be something achievable with the facilities provided by the institute and similar to other ongoing research.
- Also, list down the most common type of instruments used and their applications in different laboratories. For example, FACS in the cell biology lab and documentation in the molecular biology lab, etc.
- Also, be very clear regarding your Master’s Dissertation thesis and explain it with a positive approach.
- Keep your posture proper and straight. Be confident and polite while answering.
~ We hope you understood the above article. Kindly UPVOTE this article and Share this article with your friends.
To boost the preparation of all our users, we have come up with some free video (Live Class) series, free quizzes, previous papers.
Here are the links:
- Daily Free Video Series - Click Here
- Daily Free Quizzes - Click Here
- Attempt CSIR-NET Previous Papers - Click Here
More from us:
BYJU'S Exam Prep Team
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App.
App Link: https://bit.ly/3sxBCsm