What is a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)?
It is a doctoral degree that spans from 3-6 years duration. Candidates can select a research topic of their choice and then conduct research on that topic under the guidance of a supervisor. The eligibility criteria to enrol in PhD is a Masters degree or M.Phil. Candidates then have to give the entrance exam. If a candidate has qualified UGC NET Exam then the candidate is not required to sit in the entrance exam, they can sit directly for an interview.
Why do a PhD?
A PhD is considered necessary for those candidates who want to become Assistant Professor or to do research. When someone completes a Master's degree and qualifies UGC NET they then have a good scope in PhD. If candidates qualify for JRF, then they get a scholarship with their PhD. Research is considered a good option for candidates who want to discover new things and go deep down into something interesting.
Benefits of PhD
- Necessary for becoming Assistant Professor
- Research opportunities in interesting fields.
- Researchers get to travel around the world.
- With JRF candidates can get 35k per month along with a PhD.
- Imparting knowledge to students in the college through teaching.
- Get to meet prominent research scholars.
Negatives of PhD
- Time Duration: The time duration for PhD is from 3 to 6 years.
- Deep diving into research: candidates who do not like studying too much may not like doing a PhD because it requires you to study deeply.
- Hunt for the job: Candidates has to hunt for jobs even after doing a PhD.
PhD Admission 2022: Eligibility Criteria
- A Masters degree or M.Phill is the basic eligibility criteria for applying for a PhD.
- Candidates must secure 55% marks in Post-graduation, 5% relaxation for the reserved category.
- Candidates who have prior research experience are given preference.
- A UGC NET qualified candidate is not required to give the entrance exam, they can sit directly in an interview.
Latest PhD Admission 2022
PhD Entrance Exams take place regularly in India. Some of the prominent Universities conduct PhD exams twice a year. In this list, we are updating the latest PhD notifications in India.
|University||Application begins||Application Ends||Application form link|
|Banaras Hindu University||2-02-2022||15-02-2022||Click here|
|University of Hyderabad||To be announced|
|Periyar University||To be announced|
|Central University of Rajasthan||To be announced|
|Sikkim University||To be announced|
|Gurukula Kangri University||To be announced|
|Delhi University||To be announced|
|Panjab University, Chandigarh||To be announced|
|Jamia Milia Islamia||To be announced|
|Jawahar Lal University||To be announced|
|Mahatma Gandhi Central University||To be announced|
|Central University of Jharkhand||To be announced|
PhD Admission Process 2022
- Candidates can take admission in PhD through the entrance exam and if the candidate is UGC NET qualified they are not required to sit in the entrance exam.
- In the interview, candidates have to present their research proposal.
- In the research proposal, they must explain why they want to pursue research on this topic and what is the scope of this research.
- Thereafter, on the basis of the interview, a final merit list is prepared.
PhD Entrance Exam Pattern & Syllabus
Syllabus for PhD entrance
The syllabus of the entrance differs from university to university but the general syllabus is, research and teaching aptitude for paper 1 and the graduation and post-graduation course for your subject-specific paper.
Research Aptitude -
- Types and Characteristics
- Steps of Research
- Methods of Research
- Research Ethics
- Paper, Article
- Conference & Seminar
- Workshop and Symposium
- Thesis writing: Its characteristics and format
- Learner’s characteristics
- Factors affecting teaching
- Methods of teaching in Institutions of higher learning
- Teaching Support System
- Evaluation Systems
Make sure you are thorough with the research methodology section as it will also be helpful for your interview once you crack your examination.
- Part of the exam paper will include the course from graduation and postgraduation of your subject
Pattern for PhD Entrance
There are two papers for the examination:
- Part 1 would be common just like UGC NET and consists of 50% of the total exam paper. It will consist mainly of research questions, teaching aptitude, current affairs. Now, some universities just have research in part 1 and some have the course exactly like UGC NET, it differs from institution to institution.
- Part 2 will be subject-specific and the questions will be of graduation and post-graduation level. And it will be the next 50% of the paper.
- In some entrances, it can be all MCQs i.e. objective questions and in some cases, there are both objective and subjective.
- The total duration could be 2 or 3 hours depending on the no. of questions.
Best PhD universities in India
1. Jawaharlal Nehru University
2. Delhi University.
3. Jamia Milia Islamia University.
4. Banaras Hindu University.
5. the University of Hyderabad.
7. Ambedkar University, Delhi.
8. Indraprastha University.
9. Annamalai University.
10. the University of Mumbai.
We hope you all understood about PhD in India.
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.