Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is the central banking and monetary authority of India which regulates loans offered by banks and non-banking financial institutions to government entities, businesses & consumers and is responsible for controlling the availability of funds in the financial system for credit.
Working with RBI provides a new perspective on various banking, economic and cultural dimensions. People while working with RBI get to work with the experienced staff who have served the institution for many years. No doubt working with this organization is the dream of many but only a few get a chance to work with RBI.
Career opportunities in RBI
Candidates can make his/her entry in RBI through two online processes namely RBI Assistant and RBI Grade B Officer as a fresher. Every year RBI releases its vacancies for the recruitment of RBI Assistant and RBI Grade B officer, subject to eligibility criteria through a common recruitment process at different levels.
Structure of RBI
Let us understand the career progression under RBI Assistant and RBI Grade B officer.
There are six grades for Class-I employees, viz. Grade ‘A’ to Grade ‘F’. Grade F being the senior-most comprises of Governor and Deputy Governor.
RBI Assistants are also called Class-3 employees. This post includes a senior assistant, special assistant, assistant, record clerk, attendant, security guard, etc.
RBI Assistant is basically a clerical job dealing with the entry of inward and outward of mail and data entry. There are around 20 departments in RBI having different sections. An RBI Assistant has to do works like analyzing and generation of reports, initialization of notes, etc.
Benefits of Working as RBI Assistant
- Working Days: It is five days working job.
- Public Dealing: No public dealing is involved with this profile.
- Accommodation Facility: If a person gets transferred to a place where he/she doesn’t have proper housing facilities no problem will be there as RBI provides accommodation in its self-maintained quarters
- Educational loans and Scholarship: At very nominal rates to the children of the employee's RBI gives scholarships and educational loans up to 20 lakhs
- Housing Loan: RBI also provides housing loan facility up to 30 lakhs, at very nominal rates.
- Personal Advances: RBI provides advances for furniture, festivals, etc.
- Medical Benefits: It also provides medical coverage for the whole family.
- Leaves: It also approves vacation leave in India once in a year.
- Salary: As compared to other nationalized banks RBI provides better salaries.
- Work Pressure: There is less work pressure as no public dealing is involved.
- Promotion: After joining as Assistant in RBI and working for a period of at least 3 years an employee through departmental promotional examination can get the promotion to Assistant Manager level. Thus, this is considered as a good opportunity to join RBI as a person can easily reach to the position of RBI Grade B officer also.
Comparison of RBI Assistant with other bank jobs
Despite the fact that RBI Assistant is a clerical cadre job Many people these days prefer RBI Assistant job over PO in any nationalized bank they even get a lesser salary package as compared to a bank PO. Let us consider the following points to understand the situation better:
- Transfers: RBI the employee transfer is due after every 5 years but in banks other than RBI, the PO’s are transferred after every three years.
- Rural postings: RBI, the employees are mostly posted in urban locations while other nationalized banks tend to post their employees in rural areas quite often, the reason being that RBI doesn’t have branches in rural areas.
- Work pressure: In the public sector bank, there is a lot of work pressure to business generation for the bank and meeting the targets. But there are no such work pressures in RBI, so comparatively the job is less stressful.
- BRAND: Need I say more?? RBI is the father of all other banks. It really is a big deal to work in RBI.
- Working Days and Timings: RBI works only for 5 days in a week whereas it’s six days working in public sector banks. The employees in RBI have to work from 9.15 AM to 5.15 PM in RBI while in other banks a PO is generally never released so early from the branch.
PayScale, salary, perks, and allowances of RBI Assistants -
- Basic pay: Assistants will draw a starting basic pay of ₹ 14,650/- per month (i.e. ₹ 13,150/- plus two advance increments admissible to Graduates) in the scale of ₹ 13150 – 750(3) – 15400 – 900(4) – 19000 – 1200(6) – 26200 – 1300(2) – 28800 –1480(3) – 33240 – 1750(1) – 34990 (20 years).
2. Allowances: It includes other allowances, like Dearness Allowance, House Rent Allowance, City Compensatory Allowance, Transport Allowance, etc. as admissible by the organization from time to time. At present, initial monthly Gross emoluments for Assistants approximately ₹ 36091/-.
**House Rent Allowance will not be paid to the employee if Bank’s accommodation is provided and license fee will be recovered from her/him @ 0.3% of pay at the starting stage of the pay scale of Class III.
RBI Assistant is undoubtedly one of the most respectable and the best job for the aspirants of the banking sector. One gets to learn a lot in the organization and simultaneously gets paid quite decently along with other perks and allowances. Working for RBI is a dream for many. So, if you are getting that opportunity, do not miss it for anybody’s sake. No matter it is an Assistant job, but it will definitely be a stepping stone for the successes to come in future years.
If you are preparing for RBI Assistant Main, then must check out our relative posts mentioned below:
To provide maximum benefit to the aspirants of RBI Assistant, we have launched course RBI Assistant Main 2020 Crash Course. So Gradians, with a proper approach and better guidance, now crack the exam with RBI Assistant Main 2020 Crash Course
Now, you can start a free trial of the course by clicking on the link mentioned below:
All the best for your exams!
Prep Smart, Score Better, Go Gradeup!