This year the President has approved the conferment of 128 Padma Awards. The list comprises of:
- 4 Padma Vibhushan,
- 17 Padma Bhushan and
- 107 Padma Shri Awards
Note: Among the Padma awardees, 34 of the awardees are women, 10 awardees from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI and 13 Posthumous awardees.
Bharat Ratana is the Highest Civilian Award in the country.
Padma Awards were first instituted in 1954 by the Government of India but later there were two brief intervals in which Padma Awards were not allocated one was from 1977 to 1980 second was from 1993 to 1997. Initially, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan, and Padma Shri were classed as Pahela Varg, Dusra Varg and Tisra Varg which was renamed, Presidential Notification Issued on January 8, 1955.
Who is Eligible for the Padma Award?
All persons with no distinction of race, occupation, position, sex are eligible for these awards. However, Government servers including those of PSU’s (except doctors and scientists) are not eligible for these awards. Award seeks to recognise work of distinction and is given distinguished and exceptional achievements in fields of Art, Social work, Public affairs (including law, public life, policies etc.), Science & Engineering, Trade & Industry, Medicine, Literature & Education, Civil services, Sports and others.
All nominations received for Padma Award are placed in front of the Padma Award Committee, which is constituted by Prime Ministers every year. The committee is headed by the Cabinet Secretary and includes Home Secretary and four-six eminent persons as members. Recommendations of the committee are submitted to the Prime Minister and President of India.
List of Padma Vibhushan Awards 2022
Field & State/Country
Ms. Prabha Atre
General Bipin Rawat (Posthumous)
Civil Service (Uttarakhand)
Shri Radheyshyam Khemka (Posthumous)
Literature and Education (Uttar Pradesh)
Shri Kalyan Singh (Posthumous)
Public Affairs (Uttar Pradesh)
1. Ms Prabha Atre: Dr Prabha Atre is an Indian classical vocalist from the Kirana Gharana.
- Dr Prabha Atre holds the world record to have released 11 books (from a single-stage) on music at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1991)
- Padma Shri (1990)
- Padma Bhushan (2002)
2. General Bipin Rawat: Mr. Rawat was an Indian military officer who was a four-star general of the Indian Army.
- He served as the first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) of the Indian Armed Forces from January 2020 until his death in a helicopter crash in December 2021.
- He also served as the 57th Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee (Chairman COSC) of the Indian Armed Forces as well as 26th Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) of the Indian Army.
3. Shri Radheyshyam Khemka: Journalist who was the editor of Kalyan published by Gita Press for 38 years.
- He was also the Chairman of Gita Press Trust Boar.
4. Shri Kalyan Singh: He was an Indian politician and a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- He served twice as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and as a Member of Parliament.
- He was the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh during the demolition of the Babri Masjid in December 1992.
- Mr Singh died on 21 August 2021 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
List of Padma Bhusan Awards 2022: Total 17
|Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad||Public Affairs||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Shri Victor Banerjee||Art||West Bengal|
|Ms. Gurmeet Bawa(Posthumous)||Art||Punjab|
|Shri Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee||Public Affairs||West Bengal|
|Shri Natarajan Chandrasekaran||Trade and Industry||Maharashtra|
|Shri Krishna Ella and Smt. Suchitra Ella* (Duo)||Trade and Industry||Telangana|
|Ms. Madhur Jaffery||Others-Culinary||United States of America|
|Shri Devendra Jhajharia||Sports||Rajasthan|
|Shri Rashid Khan||Art||Uttar Pradesh|
|Shri Rajiv Mehrishi||Civil Service||Rajasthan|
|Shri Satya Narayana Nadella||Trade and Industry||United States of America|
|Shri Sundararajan Pichai||Trade and Industry||United States of America|
|Shri Cyrus Poonawalla||Trade and Industry||Maharashtra|
|Shri Sanjaya Rajaram||Science and Engineering||Mexico|
|Ms. Pratibha Ray||Literature and Education||Odisha|
|Swami Sachidanand||Literature and Education||Gujarat|
|Shri Vashishth Tripathi||Literature and Education||Uttar Pradesh|
List of PADMA SHRI Awards 2022: Total 107
|Shri Prahlad Rai Agarwala||Trade and Industry||West Bengal|
|Prof. Najma Akhtar||Literature and Education||Delhi|
|Shri Sumit Antil||Sports||Haryana|
|Shri T Senka Ao||Literature and Education||Nagaland|
|Ms. Kamalini Asthana and Ms. Nalini Asthana* (Duo)||Art||Uttar Pradesh|
|Shri Subbanna Ayyappan||Science and Engineering||Karnataka|
|Shri J K Bajaj||Literature and Education||Delhi|
|Shri Sirpi Balasubramaniam||Literature and Education||Tamil Nadu|
|Srimad Baba Balia||Social Work||Odisha|
|Ms. Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay||Science and Engineering||West Bengal|
|Ms. Madhuri Barthwal||Art||Uttarakhand|
|Shri Akhone Asgar Ali Basharat||Literature and Education||Ladakh|
|Dr. Himmatrao Bawaskar||Medicine||Maharashtra|
|Shri Harmohinder Singh Bedi||Literature and Education||Punjab|
|Shri Pramod Bhagat||Sports||Odisha|
|Shri S Ballesh Bhajantri||Art||Tamil Nadu|
|Shri Khandu Wangchuk Bhutia||Art||Sikkim|
|Shri Maria Christopher Byrski||Literature and Education||Poland|
|Acharya Chandanaji||Social Work||Bihar|
|Ms. Sulochana Chavan||Art||Maharashtra|
|Shri Neeraj Chopra||Sports||Haryana|
|Ms. Shakuntala Choudhary||Social Work||Assam|
|Shri Sankaranarayana Menon Chundayil||Sports||Kerala|
|Shri S Damodaran||Social Work||Tamil Nadu|
|Shri Faisal Ali Dar||Sports||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Shri Jagjit Singh Dardi||Trade and Industry||Chandigarh|
|Dr. Prokar Dasgupta||Medicine||United Kingdom|
|Shri Aditya Prasad Dash||Science and Engineering||Odisha|
|Dr. Lata Desai||Medicine||Gujarat|
|Shri Malji bhai Desai||Public Affairs||Gujarat|
|Ms. Basanti Devi||Social Work||Uttarakhand|
|Ms. Lourembam Bino Devi||Art||Manipur|
|Ms. Muktamani Devi||Trade and Industry||Manipur|
|Ms. Shyamamani Devi||Art||Odisha|
|Shri Khalil Dhantejvi(Posthumous)||Literature and Education||Gujarat|
|Shri Savaji Bhai Dholakia||Social Work||Gujarat|
|Shri Arjun Singh Dhurve||Art||Madhya Pradesh|
|Dr. Vijaykumar Vinayak Dongre||Medicine||Maharashtra|
|Shri Chandraprakash Dwivedi||Art||Rajasthan|
|Shri Dhaneswar Engti||Literature and Education||Assam|
|Shri Om Prakash Gandhi||Social Work||Haryana|
|Shri Narasimha Rao Garikapati||Literature and Education||Andhra Pradesh|
|Shri Girdhari Ram Ghonju||Literature and Education||Jharkhand|
|Shri Shaibal Gupta(Posthumous)||Literature and Education||Bihar|
|Shri Narasingha Prasad Guru||Literature and Education||Odisha|
|Shri Gosaveedu Shaik Hassan(Posthumous)||Art||Andhra Pradesh|
|Shri Ryuko Hira||Trade and Industry||Japan|
|Ms. Sosamma Iype||Others - Animal Husbandry||Kerala|
|Shri Avadh Kishore Jadia||Literature and Education||Madhya Pradesh|
|Ms. Sowcar Janaki||Art||Tamil Nadu|
|Ms. Tara Jauhar||Literature and Education||Delhi|
|Ms. Vandana Kataria||Sports||Uttarakhand|
|Shri H R Keshavamurthy||Art||Karnataka|
|Shri Rutger Kortenhorst||Literature and Education||Ireland|
|Shri P Narayana Kurup||Literature and Education||Kerala|
|Ms. Avani Lekhara||Sports||Rajasthan|
|Shri Moti Lal Madan||Science and Engineering||Haryana|
|Shri Shivnath Mishra||Art||Uttar Pradesh|
|Dr. Narendra Prasad Misra||Medicine||Madhya Pradesh|
|Shri Darshanam Mogilaiah||Art||Telangana|
|Shri Guruprasad Mohapatra||Civil Service||Delhi|
|Shri Thavil Kongampattu A V Murugaiyan||Art||Puducherry|
|Ms. R Muthukannammal||Art||Tamil Nadu|
|Shri Abdul Khader Nadakattin||Others - Grassroots Innovation||Karnataka|
|Shri Amai Mahalinga Naik||Others - Agriculture||Karnataka|
|Shri Tsering Namgyal||Art||Ladakh|
|Shri A K C Natarajan||Art||Tamil Nadu|
|Shri V L Nghaka||Literature and Education||Mizoram|
|Shri Sonu Nigam||Art||Maharashtra|
|Shri Ram Sahay Panday||Art||Madhya Pradesh|
|Shri Chirapat Prapandavidya||Literature and Education||Thailand|
|Ms. K V Rabiya||Social Work||Kerala|
|Shri Anil Kumar Rajvanshi||Science and Engineering||Maharashtra|
|Shri Sheesh Ram||Art||Uttar Pradesh|
|Dr. Sunkara Venkata Adinarayana Rao||Medicine||Andhra Pradesh|
|Ms. Gamit Ramilaben Raysingbhai||Social Work||Gujarat|
|Ms. Padmaja Reddy||Art||Telangana|
|Guru Tulku Rinpoche||Others - Spiritualism||Arunachal Pradesh|
|Shri Brahmanand Sankhwalkar||Sports||Goa|
|Shri Vidyanand Sarek||Literature and Education||Himachal Pradesh|
|Shri Kali Pada Saren||Literature and Education||West Bengal|
|Dr. Veeraswamy Seshiah||Medicine||Tamil Nadu|
|Ms. Prabhaben Shah||Social Work||Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu|
|Shri Dilip Shahani||Literature and Education||Delhi|
|Shri Ram Dayal Sharma||Art||Rajasthan|
|Shri Vishwamurti Shastri||Literature and Education||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Ms. Tatiana Lvovna Shaumyan||Literature and Education||Russia|
|Shri Siddhalingaiah||Literature and Education||Karnataka|
|Shri Kaajee Singh||Art||West Bengal|
|Shri Konsam Ibomcha Singh||Art||Manipur|
|Shri Prem Singh||Social Work||Punjab|
|Shri Seth Pal Singh||Others - Agriculture||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ms. Vidya Vindu Singh||Literature and Education||Uttar Pradesh|
|Baba Iqbal Singh Ji||Social Work||Punjab|
|Dr. Bhimsen Singhal||Medicine||Maharashtra|
|Shri Sivananda||Others - Yoga||Uttar Pradesh|
|Shri Ajay Kumar Sonkar||Science and Engineering||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ms. Ajita Srivastava||Art||Uttar Pradesh|
|Sadguru Brahmeshanand Acharya Swami||Others - Spiritualism||Goa|
|Dr. Balaji Tambe(Posthumous)||Medicine||Maharashtra|
|Shri Raghuvendra Tanwar||Literature and Education||Haryana|
|Dr. Kamlakar Tripathi||Medicine||Uttar Pradesh|
|Ms. Lalita Vakil||Art||Himachal Pradesh|
|Ms. Durga Bai Vyam||Art||Madhya Pradesh|
|Shri Jyantkumar Maganlal Vyas||Science and Engineering||Gujarat|
|Ms. Badaplin War||Literature and Education||Meghalaya|
Refused the honour
- Former West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and playback singer Sandhya Mukherjee have refused the Padma awards.
- Earlier, Former CPM General Secretary late EMS Namboodripad had also refused the Padma Vibhushan in 1992.
- Civil servants PN Haksar, as well as K Subrahmanyam, had also refused the awards and so did historian Romila Thapar.
Highlights About Padma Awards
- The youngest recipient of Padma Shri is Vishwanath Anand at the age of 18.
- Initially, the recommendations were made by ministers only but in 2015 current BJP Government decided to end this practice, now the recommendations can be made by Indian Citizens for others and themselves also via the online Padma Award.
- Padma Award is normally not conferred posthumously. However, in high deserving case, The Government can consider giving an award posthumously.
- A higher category of Padma award can be conferred on a person only where a period of at least five years have elapsed since the conferment of last Padma Award. However, in the case of highly deserving candidates, relaxation can be made by the Award Committee.
- Awards are presented by the President of India usually in the month of March/April.
- If awardees desire their names are published in the Gazette of India on the day of the Presentation Ceremony.
- The total number of awards given in a year (excluding posthumous awards and NRI/Foreigner/OCIs) should not be more than 120.
- The award does not amount to a title and cannot be used a suffix or prefix to the awardee’s name.
- Padma Award winners get a Sanad (certificate) with President’s signature and medallion. Padma Awardees do not get any cash allowance or any special concessions in rail/air travel. Neither do they get Diplomatic passport-like Bharat Ratana Awardee.
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Unlimited access to 18+ Bank and Insurance Exam mock tests
- Mock Tests designed by Exam Experts.
- Detailed Performance Analysis.
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.