What is The National Health Mission?
The National Health Mission was launched by the ministry of health and family welfare in 2013 to ensure the proper distribution of health services to poor people.
- In many rural areas, there is still a lack of health services which affects the health of poor rural people.
- This mission is the best decision by the government to make services accessible to the poor class.
- These services will bring reform in healthcare services which will result in the development health system.
Components of the National Health Mission
The components of the National Health Mission are as follows:
National Rural Health Mission
Under this Scheme, special services are given to the rural people and ensure they get proper healthcare. Here the focus is more on less disadvantaged areas like Jammu, Himachal, and Andhra Pradesh, where health facilities are so poor. In this Scheme, the first preference will be given to the rural poor class.
National Urban Health Mission
This Scheme especially focuses on the urban poor who are unable to afford the services due to economic problems. This Scheme will provide health services to the urban poor at a lower price than affordable prices to reduce the cost of treatment from their pockets.
Tertiary Care Programme
The cabinet committees of economic affairs headed by the prime minister continued the tertiary care program in the various regions to deal with communicable and non-communicable diseases and E-health.
NHM- Human Resources For Health And Medical Education
Under this Scheme, the government tries to focus on the performance of healthcare practitioners; this focus on improving the services of medical professionals by improving the research and training process in the medical and health institutes.
They provided the best equipment and a variety of topics which can help to enhance research among the practitioners. As a result, even most practitioners will get opportunities to research in various fields to expand the horizon of a medical study. This will improve the services and overall health facilities.
Background of National Health Mission
The National Health Mission's main purpose was to provide the best health services to all people despite their financial status. Having a good health facility is the right of every individual. Therefore, Scheme plans to give quality services to all people beyond their financial status to improve their medical situation of poor.
- Through this Scheme, the healthcare insurance policy can become more robust and transparent. It will help the poor to get insurance easily for medical services and can remove the financial barriers from their shoulders to afford the best health care services.
- The government also tries very hard to provide healthcare services at every possible level. The government introduces health care services on a Digital platform, patients get healthcare services within a few clicks, and services can be provided at every place in less time. This feature will bring a major revolution to the world.
- They want to provide the best equipment and resources to healthcare and medical institutions to provide proper training to the health personnel, which can later provide quality services to people with enhanced knowledge and experience.
- It will also encourage the private player to indulge in public health and invest in resources and equipment.
- This will make healthcare services super flexible. It means any person can have access to healthcare services. Healthcare services are already introduced on digital platforms to improve and enhance accessibility.
- It will make all the services of health and medical digitalized. It means that services like signatures, payments, and records all will become digitalized; hence all the systems will shift to digital for better experiences.
Benefits Of the National Health Mission Scheme
This Scheme will help to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of health services. It also offers various benefits like-
- It will also help to keep all health records and keep them accessible and transparent to medical service providers for better functioning.
- These services will provide the choice of both public and private sectors. So people can get both the option to get the health services of their own choice.
- This will also help to maintain proper healthcare infrastructure, which will help to provide the best services to poor people at a reasonable price.
- It will allow various practitioners to research in various fields and be able to study various programs. This will improve the effectiveness and intervention in various programs. Better training will lead to better services.
Major Initiatives Under National Health Mission
Under these schemes, various measures are taken to ensure that the Scheme could benefit the people. Different initiatives provide different benefits; let's discuss some of them.
United Grants To Sub-Centers
These different grants are given to healthcare providers so that they can provide better services to the patients. Grants could be made in the form of resources, money, or equipment, depending on the situation and condition of the service provider.
Village Health And Sanitation Committees
- They plan and monitor the various public services initiated in various areas to tackle the health situation in various areas.
- Many members of this are a member of Panchayati raj, and there are around 5 lakh village health and sanitation committees in different areas.
Janani Suraksha Yojana
This initiative encourages women to take the health care services from the public sector during their pregnancy. This will also improve the maternal mortality rate for women.
Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakaram
- There were no expenses for the health services from public services, so women could take the services during their pregnancy without any problem.
- Even after the delivery, the infant can get a free check-up for up to 1 year under this Scheme.
National Ambulance Services
Under the services, a person can get an ambulance service by just dialling a toll-free number.
Many of the National Health Mission funds are invested in building and developing the health infrastructure for better development.
Comprehensive Primary Health Care
- It improves access to information, communication, and technology. Having access to technology can help in easy access to the services.
- It enhances the quality of care and improves these access to technology, drugs, and diagnostics. Having a well-structured infrastructure is beneficial in the healthcare facility.
Features of the National Health Mission
The National Health Mission comprises 5 blocks: Health ID, digital doctor, personal health record, telemedicine, and pharmacy.
- The national health authority is responsible for taking care of designs and all the implementation of such health care missions to get the desired result.
- These all major blocks are managed and maintained by the government.
- The private sector also has a chance to integrate its products into the market. They can launch any of the new services and can provide services to the patients under this Scheme easily through improved accessibility.
- Every India will get a health ID, which will record everything about the patients. This step will make it easy for the medical service provider to keep a record of all patients. These ID cards contain all information about treatment, prescriptions, and reports.
- Citizens also get access to information about their health at once while visiting a healthcare provider. This means records of the patients remain with the doctor safely and securely and are accessible by patients anytime.
Issues with National Health Mission
In the National Health Mission, Data that is collected from the patients does not remain private and are not protected by any law. So, in any case of a data leak, there will be no legal action taken against such cases.
It does not align with the privacy principle advised by the experts to protect data which puts the question on the security of data. There might be the possibility of foreign surveillance; Foreign can also control data collected under National Health Missions.
Scope of National Health Mission
It will include the huge world under the medical coverage facilities, and it will give health benefits to many people, especially rural poor people.
- This will provide the best health and well-being facility to all despite economic factors.
- Patients will be able to know about the activity of the medical workers, as they can get their exact report of their performance. This will increase accountability in the medical structure.
- This mission will help to provide the best healthcare services to those people who are unable to access these services. Healthcare services are essential for all, and no one should be restricted from them due to any reason.
National Health Mission- Way Forward
Health is the most important thing in the world, and everyone has the right to get the best health services to maintain his or her loved one's health. The National Health Mission is the Scheme or mission through which we can provide the best services to poor and unwealthy people.
This Scheme can become a bridge to fill the gap between poor and world-class health facilities. It cannot be denied that still, in 21-century the poor face huge disappointment in health services and are denied basic health facilities, which affects the overall health of the population. This Scheme will help to provide the best health services to those who need them more.
National Health Mission UPSC
National Health Mission finds its mentions in the UPSC Syllabus under government schemes, health & Government Policies & Interventions. It is important to have in-depth knowledge on this topic for UPSC Prelims and UPSC Mains. Candidates can also find questions on this particular topic in the Current Affairs section of the UPSC question paper. To have a clear picture of the types of questions asked in the IAS Exam, candidates should glance through UPSC Previous Year Question Papers. Additionally, apart from notes, candidates must rely on the right UPSC Books and UPSC Study Materials for better preparation.
National Health Mission Upsc Prelims Sample Question
Question: What is the top priority for the Janani Suraksha yojana?
- Decrease in fertility rate
- Decrease in the birth rate
- Decrease of MMR
- None of these