How Education Day in India came to light?
Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) announced to commemorate the birthday of the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad as National Education Day on 11th September 2008 due to his landmark contribution in the field of Indian education system.
Since 2008, National Education Day is celebrated every year without declaring it a holiday.
Ministry of Human Resource Development is now known as the Ministry of Education
According to Maulana Abul Kalam Azad “schools are the laboratories that produce future citizens of the country”. He is the person behind the foundation of IITs and various other institutes in India.
About Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
Born: 11 November, 1888
Real name: Sayyid Ghulam Muhiyuddin Ahmed bin Khairuddin Al Hussaini
Place of Birth: Mecca, now Saudi Arabia
Father's Name: Muhammad Khairuddin
Mother's Name: Alia Muhammad Khaieuddin
Spouse: Zuleikha Begum
Education: Homeschool, Self-taught
Political Party: Indian National Congress
Books authored: Ghubar-e-Khatir (1946), India Wins Freedom (1959)
Died: 22 February, 1958
Memorial: Abul Kalam Azad tomb, New Delhi, India
Honours: Bharat Ratna (1992-posthumously)
About: Maulana Abul Kalam was a freedom fighter, journalist, and reformer and committed to building a nation through education. He was a leader of the Indian National Congress and elected as President of Congress in 1923 and 1940. He started an Urdu weekly newspaper in 1912 called Al-Hilal. He was also inducted in the Constituent Assembly to draft India's Constitution
Designation after Independence: He was designated as India's first Minister of Education. His tenure was from 15 August 1947 to 2 February 1958. In his tenure, he took various measures were taken to improve and to promote primary and secondary education. He also focused on scientific education, established several universities and promote the avenues of research and higher studies. He worked for free education in India and wrote several poems in Urdu.
He played pivotal role in enhancing literacy rate of India by making the education system of India strong post-independence when the entire nation was suffering from widespread illiteracy. He put emphasis on higher education and vocational training for all the citizens of the country.
Maulana Azad was also played a major role in the establishment of the University Grants Commission (UGC), which is the regulatory body for all higher education institutes in India. He was also responsible for establishing first Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in India.
National Education Day 2020 programme
- Union Minister of Education Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ virtually inaugurated the National Education Day (Rashtriya Shiksha Diwas) programme as the Chief Guest.
- Organiser: The programme was organised by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
- Guest of Honor: Dr. K. Kasturirangan, Former Chairman, ISRO and Chairman of the committee for drafting the New Education Policy
- The inauguration was followed by a workshop on National Education Policy 2020. The workshop included discussions by Prof. B. N. Jagatap, IIT Bombay, Dr.Jaitirth ‘Jerry’ Rao, entrepreneur, Founder of VBHC and HFFC and Prof.Dhruba J. Saikia, TIFR, ex-VC, Cotton College State University.
- Awards were also given on the occasion. They are:
- Research Publication Award (5 awards) given to recognize original research results in peer reviewed publications and/or other forms such as exhibits (e.g., design, film).
- Research dissemination award (3 awards) given to recognize outstanding efforts to disseminate research through monographs/ books/ review chapters/ review papers.
- Early research achiever award (3 awards) - awarded to young researchers who have already shown their potential for producing outstanding original work
With so many exams approaching, we are sure you must be wondering about the foolproof preparation plan. Your search is over now. Subscribe to Online Classroom Program to have unlimited access to all 20+ structured live courses and 500+ mock tests. This will cover all important banking and insurance exams like IBPS Clerk, IBPS PO, IBPS RRB (PO+Clerk), SBI PO, RBI Grade-B, SBI Clerk Main, RBI Assistant Main, etc.
So why wait? Subscribe to Online Classroom Program now and #GetSuperReady for your exam.
All the best!
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App!