What is MPhil?
The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) is a postgraduate degree based on advanced academic research work that is rewarded to the students after completion of their course work. MPhil is also known as an academic research degree that helps the students to gain appropriate knowledge along with permitting them to become a master of a specific subject.
The candidates are expected to submit their full dissertation paper in the estimation of a minimum one-year time. The thesis (dissertation) examination takes place under the guidance of a well-respected international external examiner, who also conducts vivas on the thesis. The students who qualify for the viva conducted are granted the qualification of an MPhil degree. The students are also required to represent a presentation on the research and therefore.
What is a PhD?
A PhD is considered the highest level of a professional degree course awarded to the students on completing their research work in a particular field. The PhD provides the eligibility to the students to apply for the faculty position in colleges and universities. The students can apply for the lecturership for the subjects that they have acquired their PhD in. The students may qualify for CSIR NET, GATE and other PhD Entrance Exams to get admission to a particular university.
MPhil Vs PhD: Duration Of The Courses
The total duration to finish the MPhil program is two years. In the two years of completing the MPhil course, the first year is purely dedicated course work based on the thesis work. While working on their thesis, the students are required to refer to the research done by the other scholars as they search for the newest research in their respected field to regenerate it.
The entire PhD program holds a duration of three years. The first year is dedicated to the course work and the other two years followed are based on the thesis work.
The time can be extended up to five years, depending on the proposal submission and the thesis's approval.
MPhil Vs PhD: Stipend
- The students pursuing MPhil are not eligible to receive any kind of stipend throughout the duration of their courses.
- The students pursuing PhD are given various scholarships and stipend to carry out their research work along with accommodation and some other allowances.
MPhil Vs PhD: Program Structure
The MPhil program structure consists of two significant goals as follows-
- The first one is one-year coursework based on carrying the thesis work on a particular subject.
- They submit their full dissertation paper in the estimation of one year under the supervision of professionals.
- Lastly, the thesis work is examined by the superior or the external examiners.
- Usually, the students attend a seminar, where they are required to submit the proposal of their research work that they have worked on before submitting it for the final.
The PhD program structure consists of goals as follows-
- The students must work on the thesis work that comes with one-year coursework.
- They need to present and defend their thesis orally.